Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Sell the lot or ship it all out

Sell the lot or ship it all out

Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:52 am
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of
Default Sell the lot or ship it all out

HI All

Can anyone tell me is it worth sell all our furniture fridge/frezer etc and buying it all out there or shipping the lot ???

Also does anyone have any australian web site which i can buy it all from to see the prices??

Many Thanks

Martin
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

nigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud ofnigelb has much to be proud of
Default Re: Sell the lot or ship it all out

I think its upto the individual. We are selling all our stuff, we are only taking clothes, sentimental items and photos. The furniture has no sentimental feelings or value to us, against the cost of shipping. We will start afresh.... One less thing to think about also.

NIG
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:01 am
NO1SPARKY!

martin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud ofmartin4414 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nigelb
I think its upto the individual. We are selling all our stuff, we are only taking clothes, sentimental items and photos. The furniture has no sentimental feelings or value to us, against the cost of shipping. We will start afresh.... One less thing to think about also.

NIG
HI there

True, been quoted 2>3K to ship out can you buy all that stuff again for that not so sure.

Martin
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:24 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Very individualistic, but we sold up, and came with 2 suitcases full of clothes and some personal possessions.

It worked out well for us, as the furniture we had from our country home in England would not have suited our city apartment....also we are renting, as didn't want to rush into buying - so thats going to entail another move.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and with your move out here
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:35 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

do an aus search for someone like the 'good guys' - is that there name?? also do a forum search for buying furniture/buying white goods as im sure someone did a really good thread about 18 months ago that amalgamated links to useful websites.

theres always ikea
Old Mar 24th 2007, 8:38 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Most say ship it all as aussie house can be big.. Think you have to be one or the other... We have sold lots of ours on ebay to get down to a 20ft, and now had the shippers in to tell us that we now only need about 12ft ops....

I seem to remember that Fridge/freezers are not rated to cope with the aussie temps.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

m100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura aboutm100 has a spectacular aura about

Hi

We sold/gave away the lot, arrived here (Sydney) with just our suitcases! We brought most of our new furniture from Ikea and auction houses, only wish now we had put more stuff in the loft in our UK house as we are going home again after six months!!
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:26 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by m100
Hi

We sold/gave away the lot, arrived here (Sydney) with just our suitcases! We brought most of our new furniture from Ikea and auction houses, only wish now we had put more stuff in the loft in our UK house as we are going home again after six months!!
So soon??
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:32 am
NO1SPARKY!

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
do an aus search for someone like the 'good guys' - is that there name?? also do a forum search for buying furniture/buying white goods as im sure someone did a really good thread about 18 months ago that amalgamated links to useful websites.

theres always ikea

DONT do flat pack

It takes forever and i'll just loose me rag:curse:
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:34 am
NO1SPARKY!

Originally Posted by m100
Hi

I'm Sorry to hear this

Many Reasons OR ??

Regards

Martin

Last edited by martin4414; Mar 24th 2007 at 9:43 am. Reason: like i keep saying my england is'nt very good
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:41 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin4414
HI All

Can anyone tell me is it worth sell all our furniture fridge/frezer etc and buying it all out there or shipping the lot ???

Also does anyone have any australian web site which i can buy it all from to see the prices??

Many Thanks

Martin
We have been wondering about this for ages. We kept changing our minds about what to do
We have eventually decided to ship the lot. We didn't want to spend days trawling shops to replace everything aswell as the cost involved.
We'll still have to buy a fridge, freezer and tv when we get there but everything else we are bringing.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 9:45 am
NO1SPARKY!

Originally Posted by Kapri
We have been wondering about this for ages. We kept changing our minds about what to do
We have eventually decided to ship the lot. We didn't want to spend days trawling shops to replace everything aswell as the cost involved.
We'll still have to buy a fridge, freezer and tv when we get there but everything else we are bringing.

This is what I'm thinking

Also the cost to replace everything
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:40 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

This will be our second time to ship our stuff over ( ) and because we are headed to cairns this time i am seriously considering flogging the lot and buying over there. It certainly increases in price dragging it all up to cairns

anyone got any tips about flogging furniture on ebay??
Old Mar 24th 2007, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Nizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud ofNizcac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
This will be our second time to ship our stuff over ( ) and because we are headed to cairns this time i am seriously considering flogging the lot and buying over there. It certainly increases in price dragging it all up to cairns

anyone got any tips about flogging furniture on ebay??
Apparently you are better of taking your front load washing machine with you as well -- Ozzies are just swapping to front load from top load. There is a government incentive to do the swap so there is a discount on the FL when you chop in a TL BUT the FL are almost twice the price because of it!!

For the price difference on our shipping quote - we are better off taking it with us - and if you have got an old one on its last legs - get a new one whilst you are still here and give it a bit of use before you go.

Our shipping cost only changed by £20 to take ours and it would cost about $1200 to buy a new one!!!! (like for like)
Old Mar 26th 2007, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Wilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant futureWilfulbadfaery has a brilliant future

Hello, When we eventually make it we are taking nothing with us other than clothes and personal effects. We don't have anything over here that cost as much to buy as a container would to ship if you see what i mean. Our couches are cheapies from ikea that are falling apart. The tv is on its last legs and our good furniture is just too big (we bought a huge sleigh bed so my tall husband would fit and then realised there is only room in our bedroom to walk around on one side and an oak table).
My husbands family emigrated to South Africa when he was a child and he remembers his parents packing everything (they even packed their herbs and spices up) up over here and shipping it, only to find out that the rental place they moved into had everything they needed and of a much better quality than the stuff they had shipped.
Thats us though. We have only been together 7 years and in this house only 3 as we were in a part furnished flat before so we haven't had a lot of time to collect furniture. I think if we were 15 years down the line with a lot of beautiful things we would probably think differently.
Sorry that probably doesnt help but sometimes just a different point of view helps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.