Sell or Let?

Old Apr 26th 2003, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

stotty is on a distinguished road
Default Sell or Let?

Hi everyone!

Just got my visa so no more putting off the details of what to do with the house! Not sure whether to sell or let it out.

Anyone in Oz that's still got a property in England that they're letting out? Was it a hassle sorting it out? What's the tax situation? Any regrets about not selling?

Any info. would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Steve.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 6:31 am
happy bunny!!

teresa.c is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sell or Let?

Originally posted by stotty
Hi everyone!

Just got my visa so no more putting off the details of what to do with the house! Not sure whether to sell or let it out.

Anyone in Oz that's still got a property in England that they're letting out? Was it a hassle sorting it out? What's the tax situation? Any regrets about not selling?

Steve.

There has been loads of info on this in the past, check out the search. There was a brill link from Alan Collette which may help, cant remember it off hand but a search should bring it up!!
Good luck!
Old Apr 27th 2003, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Teresa - nice one! Will have a look and check it out.
Old Apr 27th 2003, 12:31 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sell or Let?

Steve,

The attached tax factsheet might help.

Best regards.

Hi everyone!

Steve.
Attached Files
Old Apr 27th 2003, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Alan - nice one! Much appreciated :-)
Old Apr 27th 2003, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Terry is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stotty

Have you made any decisions?

We are going to sell but have thought about letting should the property prices here go pear shape.

Terry
Old Apr 28th 2003, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Hi Terry,

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. Alan's factsheet (see previous replies) is really good - if a bit scary! Looks like there wouldn't be too much, if any, tax to pay - it might take a bit of paperwork to sort out though!

Gut feeling is to sell. The only reasons I'm considering letting is in case things don't work out and because I won't need the money from my house for a year (renting 'til then) so I figure the return would be better than in a bank account.

I'll let you know as and when I decide what I'm going to do.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 12:32 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't need the money from my house for a year (renting 'til then) so I figure the return would be better than in a bank account.

I'll let you know as and when I decide what I'm going to do.
Ahh but if it's in a bank account, you can transfer it when the $/£ rate is good.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 12:41 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Except that you might have an assessable capital gain if the value of your GBP's increases between the date that you become a tax resident in Australia and the date you convert to A$'s.

Best regards.

Originally posted by bored_bean
Ahh but if it's in a bank account, you can transfer it when the $/£ rate is good.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 12:57 pm

bored_bean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alan Collett
Except that you might have an assessable capital gain if the value of your GBP's increases between the date that you become a tax resident in Australia and the date you convert to A$'s.

Best regards.
Good batting Thinkman. You're damned if you do and damned if you don't.
Old Apr 28th 2003, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

And there was me thinking that getting a visa was the complicated bit! :-) Thanks guys - food for thought.