Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Self Packed Shipping - Is Insurance Really Worth It?

Self Packed Shipping - Is Insurance Really Worth It?

Old Oct 6th 2004, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

paul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the roughpaul&kath is a jewel in the rough
Default Self Packed Shipping - Is Insurance Really Worth It?

PSS are collecting 12 boxes from us in the morning which we have packed ourselves. Just going through that difficult decision of insurance now. There is nothing of huge value in there and I am so tempted not to bother with the insurance. Anyone have any stories to tell or advice to give re: self packed shipping insurance?
Old Oct 6th 2004, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

bored brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Packed Shipping - Is Insurance Really Worth It?

Originally Posted by paul&kath
PSS are collecting 12 boxes from us in the morning which we have packed ourselves. Just going through that difficult decision of insurance now. There is nothing of huge value in there and I am so tempted not to bother with the insurance. Anyone have any stories to tell or advice to give re: self packed shipping insurance?

We to thought about insurance and came to the conclusion that it wasnt worth it as by the time you pay for the insurance and then the excess if anything was to get damaged the money saved should cover it but thats just my opinion.
Old Oct 6th 2004, 9:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bored brit
We to thought about insurance and came to the conclusion that it wasnt worth it as by the time you pay for the insurance and then the excess if anything was to get damaged the money saved should cover it but thats just my opinion.
Often self-pack is only covered fro total loss anyway, not for breakage . If theres nothing of great value its probably not worth it.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Pollyana is right about insurance, you can only get total loss as we self packed too........didn't bother as gambled on ship not sinking etc !! all turned up ok and as I packed it, nothing was broken, saved a packet doing it that way
Old Oct 7th 2004, 2:01 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

I selfpacked and just put all my valuable stuff in one box and only insured that box. (I had 6 in total). I was able to insure for damage and total loss though.
Old Oct 7th 2004, 9:56 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

P.B.O. [packed by owner cartons ] will not be covered by insurance............ mm