Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Self employment!

Self employment!

Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of
Default Self employment!

How do you go about gaining a self employment card or even start own company up i melbourne please?

Ie starting up a building company,sole trader !

cheers jase
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:42 am
Random Member

Peepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to beholdPeepster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Self employment!

Jase, if you're going to be charging GST you need to apply for an ABN (Australian Business Number). Have a look on www.abr.gov.au and www.ato.gov.au Companies can withold 46% payment from you in some circs if you don't have an ABN and you can't register a domain name without one either.

Also have a look at www.business.vic.gov.au ; heaps of useful info.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

koalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond reputekoalakim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jase

We are self-employed in Melbourne with our own business. Can't help you with the building trade but I do know you have to choose a company name and then register it with Consumer Affairs. It's $75 and they check to make sure that no one else in your trade has the same name. It's easy enough to go and do it in person in the city.

You will also need an ABN which you can do online and then once you have your registration and ABN then you can buy a domain name etc for your website. Websites are still a bit in the dark ages in Oz but I always judge a company by it's website! I like to know a bit of info before approaching anyone.

You'll also need to check out insurances etc but Consumer Affairs are very helpful with all this. You will also have to get a card etc to go on sites etc but I'm sure someone in the trade can help you out with this!

Don't forget once you've started up is to let the guys and gals on Britvics know as there is always someone looking for a tradie!

Good luck!

KK
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Cheers peep!
So is this worth doing once there to see how the land lie with gaining a job?
Im a plasterer and ideally would like to work with someone already in the trade and see how the aussies do things

Im sure most tradies are self-employed anyway?

When we land gonna get looking around and doing a yozza hughes and asking peeps to "Giz a job-I can do that"
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheers kimbo,great info
Just noticed peep that you mentioned gst aka uk vat?
Im not vat registered in uk so dont earn enough or want the extra hassle n money to register i think?
Also puts some people off who dont benefit from paying extra gst on a job?

cheers again

jase da plasterer
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

So anyone got any ideas if i can just get a self employment card?
cheers guys
jase
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Cheers kimbo,great info
Just noticed peep that you mentioned gst aka uk vat?
Im not vat registered in uk so dont earn enough or want the extra hassle n money to register i think?
Also puts some people off who dont benefit from paying extra gst on a job?

cheers again

jase da plasterer
I have found more work by being GST registered, most builders i have worked for or sub-contracted to won't employ tradies who aren't GST registered, But we all love our "Cashies" don't we

John
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi john

Maybe that will have to be the route i should take,but obviously havent got a job yet!!

So if i find a firm/chap who is willing to take me on,how long turna
around would it be to accuire gst/self employment card?

I need a bullet system of what a plasterer in melbourne needs to do first
cheers

jase

Last edited by JCSUPERMOTO; Oct 2nd 2009 at 3:53 pm.