Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Self-employed tax question

Self-employed tax question

Old Oct 29th 2004, 12:59 pm
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough
Default Self-employed tax question

I know from previous threads that if you fill in form P85 then you can apply for a refund from the Inland Revenue when leaving the UK. This seems to work fine for people who are employed as their P45 includes all the information that the Revenue needs to “close� that person's PAYE account and calculate the refund.

I’m currently self-employed however and so I assume I will need to produce my final set of accounts and self assessment tax return before a refund can be calculated?

Has anyone else had any experience of this – I’m wondering whether I need to prepare my tax return now or whether I should instead wait until the end of the tax year next April?

Any advice gratefully received.

Cheers

GLR

PS Sorry to post such a boring tax post – I’ll look out for lettuce stories to post when I get to Oz!
Old Oct 30th 2004, 10:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-employed tax question

Originally Posted by GLR
I know from previous threads that if you fill in form P85 then you can apply for a refund from the Inland Revenue when leaving the UK. This seems to work fine for people who are employed as their P45 includes all the information that the Revenue needs to “close� that person's PAYE account and calculate the refund.

I’m currently self-employed however and so I assume I will need to produce my final set of accounts and self assessment tax return before a refund can be calculated?

Has anyone else had any experience of this – I’m wondering whether I need to prepare my tax return now or whether I should instead wait until the end of the tax year next April?

Cheers

GLR
Not the kind of issue which most people will have had experience of, hence the low number of replies.

I'd get some professional tax advice as there may be tax planning opportunities (or risks) arising from ceasing your business in the UK.

Jeremy
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:29 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-employed tax question

As Jeremy says, this is an issue you should be discussing with a tax accountant. You will need to produce a final set of business accounts, which will form the basis of your final UK Tax Return. If you were to stop business today this means that you would most probably not be able to finalise your UK tax position until the 2005 Return is issued next April.

In the meantime you will be making Payments on Account re 2004/05 (on 31st Jan 2005 and - if your 2005 Return isn't lodged by the end of July - 31st July 2005). These PoAs may be capable of being reduced as they will be based on your 2003/04 tax liability. This is another reason to discuss your situation with a tax advisor.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by GLR

Cheers

GLR

PS Sorry to post such a boring tax post – I’ll look out for lettuce stories to post when I get to Oz!