Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Self employed spouse?

Self employed spouse?

Old Apr 6th 2005, 8:28 am
Banned

Widdi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really niceWiddi is just really nice
Default Self employed spouse?

Hi,

We are a couple coming over on a 457 in the next few months then moving onto rsms.

I am tied up due to visa requirements which I understand and this is fine.

My question is with my wife. Can she work self employed and what implications are there here? - I havnt even looked at this yet.

cheers

John
Old Apr 6th 2005, 11:13 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self employed spouse?

Originally Posted by Widdi
Hi,

We are a couple coming over on a 457 in the next few months then moving onto rsms.

My question is with my wife. Can she work self employed and what implications are there here? - I havnt even looked at this yet.

cheers

John
No work restrictions on a 457 for your wife, so she can work self-employed. If she was looking for a job, most employers hiring for career orientated jobs would not likely to be keen until she's a PR.

If she sinks time and money into a business and your PR doesn't work out, you'll need to leave it all behind in Australia - so keep this in mind.

Maybe get the RSMS done first.

Jeremy
Old Apr 6th 2005, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Boilerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Self employed spouse?

Originally Posted by Widdi
Hi,

cheers

John
Cor look at that for timing - I was just thinking about how to ask the same question.

My wife has had a fairly successful Design Business here in the UK for the last 5 years or so and was sadened by the prospect of having to give this freedom up just because I've been sent to Brisbane for a few years.

We're on 457 visas too and I didn't think she'd be able to work for herself there.

We'll have to look into this in more detail.

Are there any good websites / companies / sources of info where we can get unbiased advice on setting up in business in Australia as an expat?

We're aiming to arrive around the 27th of this month (I know - missed Anzac Day!).

Thanks JAJ for the responding . This'll cheer her up a bit !