Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Self-employed people - do you need ABN written on headed paper?

Self-employed people - do you need ABN written on headed paper?

Old May 23rd 2005, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Self-employed people - do you need ABN written on headed paper?

Just doing Mr Jones business stationery and wondering if I need to put his ABN or TFN on his headed paper (and the invoice letterhead) etc?

Oh and on things like business cards.

At the moment all I have included is the Registration Number.

Thanks all
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:17 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self-employed people - do you need ABN written on headed paper?

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Just doing Mr Jones business stationery and wondering if I need to put his ABN or TFN on his headed paper (and the invoice letterhead) etc?

Thanks all
I have to supply my ABN on all invoices as well as my licence number other wise contractors can hold onto a % of any payments due. I don't have any fancy stationary though as I use the invoicing system the ATO send you on CD Rom. It's called e-record.
My business card also has my ABN and Licence number displayed.
Old May 23rd 2005, 10:20 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I have to supply my ABN on all invoices as well as my licence number other wise contractors can hold onto a % of any payments due. I don't have any fancy stationary though as I use the invoicing system the ATO send you on CD Rom. It's called e-record.

Yup thats right, but do not stick your TAX FILE NUMBER on it.

ABCDEFJ usually has all the right links etc but the ATO website has on it what is legally required.
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:09 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family

Thanks all
I have had a rubber stamp made up,which includes the ABN and company name and phone numbers and just stamp my invoices. As s&b say DONT put your TFN on their keep it confidential....... ........... MM
Old May 23rd 2005, 11:54 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Yup thats right, but do not stick your TAX FILE NUMBER on it.

ABCDEFJ usually has all the right links etc but the ATO website has on it what is legally required.

I have some details on this webpage that may help, and shows other good business links.

One thing that is specified is: "Your business name must be printed or written exactly as it is registered - on every business letter, invoice, receipt, or other document used by your business. "

Out of 10 business cards that I have just looked at, only one of them shows the ABN number.

ABN or A.B.N. are abbreviations for Australian Business Number
ACN or A.C.N. are abbreviations for Australian Company Number

Your ABN is based on your ACN but it has 2 additional leading digits and becomes an 11 digit number. The ABN will eventually replace the Australian Company Number (ACN) and the Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN).

"If your company has an Australian Business Number (ABN), you may use the ABN with your company's name in place of the ACN on company documents and negotiable instruments, provided that:
your ABN includes your nine digit ACN; and
the quotation of the ABN is effected in the same manner in which quotation of the ACN would normally occur."
Where the ACN is NOT required
The items on which the ACN is not required include:
  • packaging and labelling, including envelopes and transport documents;
  • advertisements which do not make a specific offer which is capable of being accepted (such as advertisements which only promote the company and its goods or services in general);
  • credit cards and credit card vouchers;
  • machine-generated receipts, including cash-register receipts;
  • business cards and 'with compliments' slips; and
  • items which are not documents (eg, vehicles, television advertisements)

Old May 24th 2005, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

I have some details on this webpage that may help, and shows other good business links.

One thing that is specified is: "Your business name must be printed or written exactly as it is registered - on every business letter, invoice, receipt, or other document used by your business. "

Out of 10 business cards that I have just looked at, only one of them shows the ABN number.

ABN or A.B.N. are abbreviations for Australian Business Number
ACN or A.C.N. are abbreviations for Australian Company Number

Your ABN is based on your ACN but it has 2 additional leading digits and becomes an 11 digit number. The ABN will eventually replace the Australian Company Number (ACN) and the Australian Registered Body Number (ARBN).
Thanks very much for that. Yes the name is the same as the business - Dean Jones!!!!!!!!!!! Lucky to have a hubby with the same name as famous Aussie cricketer!!
Old May 25th 2005, 1:33 pm
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

Is there a standard format for invoices?

Cheers
Old May 25th 2005, 9:48 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumbo
Is there a standard format for invoices?

Cheers
They must show ABN's, specific job address GST amount etc.
Take a look here at the program it's downloadable and can be used in any country by changing the country setting on the keyboard.
Old May 26th 2005, 7:51 am
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

They must show ABN's, specific job address GST amount etc.
Take a look here at the program it's downloadable and can be used in any country by changing the country setting on the keyboard.
Do you mean the pdf called "How to set out tax invoices
and invoices" or am I missing the "program"

Thanks
Old May 26th 2005, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by jumbo
Do you mean the pdf called "How to set out tax invoices
and invoices" or am I missing the "program"

Thanks
Your missing the link to the actual program looks like it's been moved. If you do a search on the ATO website for e-record it should give you a download site, it's free. http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con...tent/23231.htm
That said if there's a PDF it should give you all the info you need.
Old May 26th 2005, 9:11 am
ABCDiamond

Your missing the link to the actual program looks like it's been moved. If you do a search on the ATO website for e-record it should give you a download site, it's free. http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con...tent/23231.htm

That said if there's a PDF it should give you all the info you need.
Things have changed on there

They may need to go to this link
http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con....htm&page=6&H6

However:
A new version of e-Record, version 5.0, is due for release at the end of June.
The new version of e-Record will be available to download from the website in mid June and be available on CD in early July.

Hmmm... so it will be released at the END of june, but will be available from MID JUNE