Reload this Page >

Self Build in Australia

Self Build in Australia

Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

fillinghams is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Build in Australia

Hello

We are movng out to townsville in the next few months (once the visa arrives!), and we are keen to buy some land and have a house built.

I have looked into the 'kit' houses and they look very nice, but would like to look into designing and having our own built.

Has any of you done this, and if so what are your tales. The land looks more than affordable, but the cost of building is a mystery.

What is the time scale and potentail obstacles.

Thanks

Craig
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:30 am
toon army

tone73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Build in Australia

Originally Posted by fillinghams
Hello

We are movng out to townsville in the next few months (once the visa arrives!), and we are keen to buy some land and have a house built.

I have looked into the 'kit' houses and they look very nice, but would like to look into designing and having our own built.

Has any of you done this, and if so what are your tales. The land looks more than affordable, but the cost of building is a mystery.

Thanks

Craig
im here in perth although i didnt build a kit house i built in ellenbrook near perth , building can be a strain, picking everything from taps to floor coverings to even brick colour, and in perth there a shortade of brickies\ trades man some houses can take up to 12 months, but kit houses im unsure
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:49 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Craig
Hi Craig

I have found these two sites useful

http://www.ausdesign.com.au/

http://forum.homeone.com.au/viewforum.php?f=31
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:50 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We designed and are building - via a builder - our own house. You have to be prepared to be at it 24/7 and to pick up on the cock-ups that will occur. It's very satisfying though, seeing your own ideas being translated into a home.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:53 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

We tile quite a few self build kit homes. They are fairly easy to build and often substantially cheaper than the std low set brick. There are quite a few different suppliers offering a number of differing designs. I'll dig out the file we have from when we researched our own build and post some web address'.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:21 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Craig
Hi Craig

Like yourself I am in the process (spending 4 years planning and then 1 year too build).

If you search the forum you will see alot of folk have posted threads on their housebuilds - I am following Wols who seems to have it all under control.

There also seem to be a wide range of guys from different trades who give good advice.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 6:54 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>> If you search the forum you will see alot of folk have posted threads on their housebuilds - I am following Wols who seems to have it all under control. <<

Your faith in my control is touching!

It's pretty tenuous at the moment........ The builder delivered a pile of boxes of kitchen and bathroom fittings around to our rental this evening for us to check, and we find that the Zippy tap (instant hot water) appears to be the commercial model capable of serving all the workers in a car factory!

Scaffolding came down today so we can see - through the rain and lightning - what the place is like at last. Will post picture when the sun comes out!
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

UK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to all

Hi, we are just waiting for our visa to come through and providing all goes well are hoping to move to perth. We have been looking at houses on the internet and my hubby and I have decided we want to build. Is it expensive to build your own property in Perth? We were hoping to build a 4x2 house. I've companies that do the whole thing for you but my OH is a painter/decorator and would want to do all the tiling and decorating himself.

Hayley
x