Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Self advertised house?

View Poll Results: Self marketing, did you do it and what were the results?
Yes - did it and found my own buyer so saved £s on agent commission
12.50%
ye s- ttried it but no good so ended up using an agent anyway
37.50%
No - didnt try it
50.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Self advertised house?

Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:01 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self advertised house?

Now I've made up my mind to keep the move to Oz quiet from the viewers / buyers (thanks everyone for your input!) I was wondering if there are people out there who have marketed their own houses, bypasing estate agents altogether and, if so, what the results were like.

Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:50 pm

Default Re: Self advertised house?

Anyone?
Old Jun 8th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

We tried it Bridie but we're still getting emails asking us if the sale 9 months on. We had a couple or so (memory not so good) people come round to see the house but the photos made our house look bigger (dimensions were given) so they weren't interested. We also advertised in local shops but all we got were nosey blighters who wasted our time. The agents seemed better at following things through, we went joint and it seemed to make them pull their weight more.
Good luck, maybe try all your options?
Larissa
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:01 pm

Thanks Larissa
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:04 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
Anyone?
Ok I will give you an answer, although we have not tried it yet - what we will try is that our house is close by to the main offices (and some of their other offices) of a large company. We have contacts within the comany and will try using their internet internal advertising to see if there is any interest. I not putting much hope on this suceeding, so will then use the necessary evil, also know as estate agents
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I'm trying it aws well as with an agent. Had one viewer so far via Houseladder.co.uk, nothing from the other sites
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Note that if you do both (self & agent) you must record details of who *you* introduce to the house, otherwise the agent may try and get commission. We had someone interested who approached us, then went to an agent... they didn't make a firm offer so it didn't become complicated.
Record times of phonecalls/emails, first and last names, where they saw your ad and you should be OK.
It helps if you pinch the agents measurements and then you can use them in your ads
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Larissa
Note that if you do both (self & agent) you must record details of who *you* introduce to the house, otherwise the agent may try and get commission. We had someone interested who approached us, then went to an agent... they didn't make a firm offer so it didn't become complicated.
Record times of phonecalls/emails, first and last names, where they saw your ad and you should be OK.
It helps if you pinch the agents measurements and then you can use them in your ads
Good point!

Already got the measurements as we kept the details from when we bought our house, just got to do new pics.
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:54 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Now I've made up my mind to keep the move to Oz quiet from the viewers / buyers (thanks everyone for your input!) I was wondering if there are people out there who have marketed their own houses, bypasing estate agents altogether and, if so, what the results were like.

Will be interested in this outcome to, been considering this option, but not sure on success and we wont probably have much time to mess around. Will need it to sell ASAP.

Why, being nosey, is it best to keep quiet about move to Oz from viewers/buyers? Im probably being really thick and overlooking the obvious? Sorry if I am

Jo
Old Jun 8th 2005, 1:55 pm

No, not being thick!

The consensus seemed to be that if you tell them they may lower their offer prior to exchange.

See thread here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=307373
Old Jun 8th 2005, 5:18 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

We did it and ot an offer after 24 hours, but they couldn't find a buyer so used an agents. Try private ads first, could save loads, helps if you can get good posters and you get lots of people passing your house
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

ahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant futureahoy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by baconmaster
We did it and ot an offer after 24 hours, but they couldn't find a buyer so used an agents. Try private ads first, could save loads, helps if you can get good posters and you get lots of people passing your house
we advertised for 6 weeks with mypropertyforsale and in our local papers. had 30 viewers but it has to be said a lot of them were hobbyists. we have an unusual 16th century cottage and we had lots of cash buyers, second homers from the south which at the time seemed great. you know, cash buyers. on reflection i think that sort of buyer just has too much to choose from and can afford to treat it as a hobby. after 6 weeks and a request to pay the bond, we selected an agent. only had 5 viewers in another 4 weeks from the agent but one of them is going ahead and should ..... no i'm not going to even say it.

i think it depends on the type of property you have. i'm not sure britain is really ready for private house sales. wouldn't it be great if you could persuade someone with a house just like yours down the road to put theirs on the market for £30,000 more than yours, just to make yours look like a good buy!
Old Jun 8th 2005, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by ahoy
wouldn't it be great if you could persuade someone with a house just like yours down the road to put theirs on the market for £30,000 more than yours, just to make yours look like a good buy!
Already got that, neighbour been on market for a year now and will be over £40K more