Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Seems a bit expensive

Seems a bit expensive

Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

mashy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seems a bit expensive

I`ve just had Britannia round to give us a quote for a shared container to Hobart. £3,832.00 He`s ringing me later for the price on a full 20ft container :scared:

I`ve got John Masons and Pickfords coming tomorrow so hopefully I`ll get a better quote.

I`m in the northwest not the back of beyond.

Does this sound excessive? (or am I being a tight-wad)
Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:28 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seems a bit expensive

Originally Posted by mashy
I`ve just had Britannia round to give us a quote for a shared container to Hobart. £3,832.00 He`s ringing me later for the price on a full 20ft container :scared:

I`ve got John Masons and Pickfords coming tomorrow so hopefully I`ll get a better quote.

Doesn't sound too excessive to me.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hutch
Cheers Hutch

Guess I`m just a tight-wad
Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Remember it will be more than ones for Perth/Brisbane/etc - it may even have tp be unloaded in Melbourne to travel onto Hobart. Thats one of the (few) drawbacks to heading for Tassie.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 2:45 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Remember it will be more than ones for Perth/Brisbane/etc - it may even have tp be unloaded in Melbourne to travel onto Hobart. Thats one of the (few) drawbacks to heading for Tassie.
Cheers

What he also told me, that I didn`t know, was that any new goods that were less than 12 months old were liable for TAX when it arrived. We have bought loads of stuff new to take out with us
Old Jul 12th 2006, 5:13 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Seems a bit expensive

Cheers

What he also told me, that I didn`t know, was that any new goods that were less than 12 months old were liable for TAX when it arrived. We have bought loads of stuff new to take out with us
Your stuff will also be travelling across Bass Strait, which is notoriously rough and traditionally expensive for shipping.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 5:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Seems a bit expensive

Cheers

We've had a load of removal firms round and yes this is true however if you remove from packaging and pack with everything else it should be fine! We were recommended to assemble kids beds, let them bounce on them a couple times and then dismantle again! LOL! No bouncing allowed but perhaps we'll remove from all the SALE packaging!!

They're concerned mainly about people bringing over stuff, new, and then selling it which obviously is unlikely!
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Your stuff will also be travelling across Bass Strait, which is notoriously rough and traditionally expensive for shipping.

Cheers Vash
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jothefw
We've had a load of removal firms round and yes this is true however if you remove from packaging and pack with everything else it should be fine! We were recommended to assemble kids beds, let them bounce on them a couple times and then dismantle again! LOL! No bouncing allowed but perhaps we'll remove from all the SALE packaging!!

They're concerned mainly about people bringing over stuff, new, and then selling it which obviously is unlikely!
Thanks

Like plonkers, we bought all new so that it would be all boxed up and easier to pack Oh well! A bounce might be just what the doctor ordered
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a new dyson and JM told us to cut off the plug as that is a giveaway if the prongs are shiny. I would make sure they aren't in the original boxes and have the shipper package them and hope for the best, they don't check everyone after all

Ali
Old Jul 12th 2006, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Alison1967
We bought a new dyson and JM told us to cut off the plug as that is a giveaway if the prongs are shiny. I would make sure they aren't in the original boxes and have the shipper package them and hope for the best, they don't check everyone after all

Ali
Thanks Ali

Long time no see! (or speak)

How`re you doing?
Old Jul 12th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ali
Long time no see! (or speak)
How`re you doing?
Hi yourself

Been dog busy finishing house and putting it up for sale.
Moggy goes to shipper this friday.
I finish work next friday and fly to Adelaide on my own saturday week after that (29th) Keith is staying until house is sold.
Had offer of interest but they need their own buyer before we can accept their offer so fingers crossed they get one soon.

When are you headed off to Oz!

Ali x
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on the cost but perhaps be aware of what can happen to your stuff when going shared (if not already aware):
-packed at home, loaded onto removal van
-unloaded at warehouse
-reloaded into container
-sail to Oz
-unloaded from container into warehouse
-loaded into van, delivered to house

(compared to sole use where it is loaded into a container at your home and delivered in same container at destination)

We went shared and ended up with a huge insurance claim for damage. (Britannia it was, too.....)

Obviously not everyone has this problem going shared, but in hindsight, I would have paid the extra for sole use to avoid the damage as a result of rough handling (and poor packing) at various points along the way.

I would just get an idea from the company, what sort of handling and storage your goods will undergo. Good luck
Old Jul 12th 2006, 9:09 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Seems a bit expensive

Cheers Vash
No probs.

I am dead serious about the "rough" part, BTW. The Devil Cat (a Georgetown-to-Melbourne catamaran) has been forced to abandon several trips for precisely that reason. :scared:

Sailing across the Strait as a passenger on one of the big ferries is a lot of fun. I first travelled on the Empress of Australia as a child of 8, in 1981 (just four years before she was retired.)

Nearly a decade later, I travelled on the Abel Tasmania.

In 1996, I travelled on the first Spirit of Tasmania, and in 2004 I travelled on one of her two replacements - both of which are also called the Spirit of Tasmania.

My wife and I will be sailing to Tasmania on one of the Spirits during our 3-week holiday Down Under at the end of this month.
Old Jul 12th 2006, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

we used Crown for Carlisle-Hobart shared container in jan this year-i think they were cheaper but i can't find the f***** invoice!
as vash says part of the trip is across the bass strait-not only is it rough, but your goods will prob sit in melb for a few weeks waiting to go on the final leg of the journey so don't expect it to arrive in hobart quickly!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.