British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Seeking site engineer job - Brisbane (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/seeking-site-engineer-job-brisbane-929343/)

JohnBruce1234 Nov 18th 2019 8:28 am

Seeking site engineer job - Brisbane

Bit of a long shot but i am moving out to brisbane for a working holiday in the middle of Feb next year. I have been applying for jobs through Seek and not having much luck.

I am wandering if anyone could guide me in the right direction to recruitment companies etc to try and find a job.

A bit of background i have a BSc (Hons) degree in environmental civil engineering and have 5 years setting out experience. Any help would be appreciated!

teza Nov 18th 2019 9:52 am

Re: Seeking site engineer job - Brisbane

Sorry to say the limitations of WHV means you usually end up doing fruit picking and farm work, nowadays hard to get a highly professional job on that visa with so many newly and locally qualified looking for a job. Would you qualify for a skilled visa?

Amazulu Nov 19th 2019 12:07 am

Originally Posted by teza (Post 12765336)
Sorry to say the limitations of WHV means you usually end up doing fruit picking and farm work, nowadays hard to get a highly professional job on that visa with so many newly and locally qualified looking for a job. Would you qualify for a skilled visa?

I got professional jobs on my WHV when I was a backpacker, so it is possible - and the economy was hardly on fire at the time

Plenty of construction going on in the East too. I reckon he's in with a shot

verystormy Nov 19th 2019 4:19 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 12765694)
I got professional jobs on my WHV when I was a backpacker, so it is possible - and the economy was hardly on fire at the time

Plenty of construction going on in the East too. I reckon he's in with a shot

It is somewhat different now as previously companies would have in mind they might sponsor down the track. Today, far fewer companies are willing to sponsor as sponsoring costs have increased significantly and processing times have increased dramatically. When I arrived over a decade ago, it was days. Now it is often many months. Even then, refusal rates are high.

Amazulu Nov 19th 2019 6:01 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12765744)

It is somewhat different now as previously companies would have in mind they might sponsor down the track. Today, far fewer companies are willing to sponsor as sponsoring costs have increased significantly and processing times have increased dramatically. When I arrived over a decade ago, it was days. Now it is often many months. Even then, refusal rates are high.

?
Who's talking about sponsorship? I wasn't and neither is the OP. He was talking about working on a WHV as a professional - which is what I did back when I was a backpacker. Nothing else