Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

See ya on the other side!

See ya on the other side!

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road
Default See ya on the other side!

I'm sitting in the study surrounded by boxes getting my final fix of expats (for the time being).

We had doree bonner in today. Top guys and dammed quick. Back tomorrow to finish off. Mind you they don't warn you about the Tea and coffee tax. I never seen 4 guys drink so much unless it's me and friends with a beer fridge!

Heres the factual bit....

3 bed semi in Surrey to Perth door to door. 1 20 ft container based on 1000 cu ft capacity. Guy reckons we should fit easily but we shall see Cost around £3200.

Flying Emirates as the change over in Singapore was 4.5 hours which is a tad too long. We flew Sindapore when we validated visas. Generally pretty good with top class entertainment. Food wasn't as good as I'd hoped but drinks were offered frequently. If you have kids make sure they now about the kids meal requirement.

Facts over....

Now looking forward to actually getting there. Sold my car at the weekend and have been driving my brother in-law's E reg Rover. Is it legal to have a car without power steering? And my kid is most upset that there is no aircon!

Last hurdle is making sure the cash is paid for the house, so fingers are still crossed (hence the typos).

Good luck all
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:30 pm
WBB

good luck and keep us posted when you arrive.

safe journey

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

FiFi is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: See ya on the other side! - Validating Visa

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nibbs

We flew Sindapore when we validated visas.

Nibbs

just wondering about validating visa .. noticed this on a few messages - can you explain..

thanks

and best of luck to you and yours
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:59 pm
WBB

Default Re: See ya on the other side! - Validating Visa

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FiFi
Originally posted by Nibbs

We flew Sindapore when we validated visas.

Nibbs

just wondering about validating visa .. noticed this on a few messages - can you explain..

thanks

and best of luck to you and yours

you normally have to enter australia within one year of the date given to you by the aussies even if it is just a short trip to "validate" your visa then go back home and finalise the sale of the house etc etc, you have to spend at least 2 years in aus out of 5.

somebody correct me if i am wrong?

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

However if you just wish to up sticks and do it all in one go your "validation trip" can also be your actual emigration. depends how organised you can get things, and whether you are able to sell the house and move all within the right time frame.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:33 pm
suz
Forum Regular

suz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: See ya on the other side!

Originally posted by Nibbs
I'm sitting in the study surrounded by boxes getting my final fix of expats (for the time being).

We had doree bonner in today. Top guys and dammed quick. Back tomorrow to finish off. Mind you they don't warn you about the Tea and coffee tax. I never seen 4 guys drink so much unless it's me and friends with a beer fridge!

Heres the factual bit....

3 bed semi in Surrey to Perth door to door. 1 20 ft container based on 1000 cu ft capacity. Guy reckons we should fit easily but we shall see Cost around £3200.

Flying Emirates as the change over in Singapore was 4.5 hours which is a tad too long. We flew Sindapore when we validated visas. Generally pretty good with top class entertainment. Food wasn't as good as I'd hoped but drinks were offered frequently. If you have kids make sure they now about the kids meal requirement.

Facts over....

Now looking forward to actually getting there. Sold my car at the weekend and have been driving my brother in-law's E reg Rover. Is it legal to have a car without power steering? And my kid is most upset that there is no aircon!

Last hurdle is making sure the cash is paid for the house, so fingers are still crossed (hence the typos).

Good luck all
Hope all goes well, we will be joining you guys soon, shippers due mid Oct, flying out to Perth 7th Nov. Whats this about the kids meal requirements?????
Suz
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:52 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: See ya on the other side! - Validating Visa

Originally posted by welshboybilly
you normally have to enter australia within one year of the date given to you by the aussies even if it is just a short trip to "validate" your visa then go back home and finalise the sale of the house etc etc, you have to spend at least 2 years in aus out of 5.

somebody correct me if i am wrong?
You normally have to validate within a year of the police checks and medicals hence it is not a great idea to front end load certain visa classes. DIMIA gave me some discretion on the medicals but I am a healthy specimen.

On my visa there was a enter by date for validation.
Old Sep 24th 2003, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

jopaulss will become famous soon enoughjopaulss will become famous soon enough

Good luck Nibbs hope all goes well for you all see you all here
Joanne xx
Old Sep 24th 2003, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

suffolkdiva is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck Nibbs!

All the best for the future
Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:26 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

good luck and keep posting
Old Sep 24th 2003, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck Nibbs

footie chick
Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Nibbs is on a distinguished road

Hi guys. Last minute post waiting for the money before we hand over keys. It ain't over "until the fat solicitor rings"

Doree Bonner were pretty good. Everything fitted into a 20ft with a little space to spare. However they did forget several parts of a cot. We spotted 2 bits but the driver had already sealed the container so these will be sent on at DB's expense. The last two bits of Jack's bed may just about fit in a suitcase. I was a bit hacked off, but to be fair we had missed them as well until the last minute.

As far as validating is concerned as others have said, you have up until 1 year UNLESS you have been requested to a health check when you arrive. We only got six months to validate from the date of our medicals. When we got our visa grant that left us with only 3 months!

With kids meals on airlines, we've found that you need to confirm at check-in, then again when the first drinks come round and make some more noise when meals are actually served!

Even then we've only got the correct meals on 2 or 3 flights which ain't great when you consider Jack has been to Oz 4 times and the States 6 times!

All the best, starting to relax now.