Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Security licences

Security licences

Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:55 am
Just Joined

markmason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Security licences

Hi guys,Can anyone help.I am here in Sydney on a sponsered visa with as a tech in security.I have been told that I will need to get a security licence but for NSW I cant because I need to have known two people a year here.There mayb a loop hole in I may be able to get one in Victoria and transfer it to NSW.
Has anyone been in the same boat and knows more about it than me or anyone who from the uk whos was able to get one?
Any help would be great.Reply or e mail me at

Last edited by Dorothy; Nov 19th 2008 at 9:27 pm. Reason: email address removed. Please use the PM function
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Lewis2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Security licences

Originally Posted by markmason
Hi guys,Can anyone help.I am here in Sydney on a sponsered visa with as a tech in security.I have been told that I will need to get a security licence but for NSW I cant because I need to have known two people a year here.There mayb a loop hole in I may be able to get one in Victoria and transfer it to NSW.
Has anyone been in the same boat and knows more about it than me or anyone who from the uk whos was able to get one?
Any help would be great.Reply or e mail me at [
Cheers
Not sure what other states need but if there is no way they will relax the two people rule then check other states. I came over after 15 years Police service and was told in Victoria I needed to do a course to get my licence. I attended the Vic Licensing office which turned out to be Police head quarters and spoke to them after showing proof of Police service i was given my licence (Not Crowd control). I then moved to Qld and it was a straight swap no course.
Good Luck

Last edited by Dorothy; Nov 19th 2008 at 9:28 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

i did reply but its gone ??????????????????
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Try Vic or Canberra then just transfer it. I got mine in Vic then moved to Qld and it was a straight transfer.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lewis2
Try Vic or Canberra then just transfer it. I got mine in Vic then moved to Qld and it was a straight transfer.
Were you able to get one? If so how did you get it? was it using wot you had in the UK? or have you been in Oz for some time?

Cheers
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Lewis2
was it using wot you had in the UK? or have you been in Oz for some time? I have been given the run around.

Cheers
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:12 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

was it using wot you had in the UK? or have you been in Oz for some time? I have been given the run around.

Cheers
We got ours in WA and this wasn't part of the criteria.

I'm an Agent and Consultant. I know WA is different in most things though. Can't your sponsoring company shed any light on this for you? Surely they must have known about this issue before sponsoring you?

If there's no way round it, as the others have said, maybe look at other states and getting it transferred?

ATB,

Jules x
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

Were you able to get one? If so how did you get it? was it using wot you had in the UK? or have you been in Oz for some time?

Cheers
My 1st reply is the answer to this one, I dont know what happened I sent the reply but it took longer to go on the forum than my second reply.
Anyway try VIC or Canberra, I was lucky that I didnt have to the the security course in Vic and then transferred to Qld. I had only been in OZ about 2 months when I applied and we didnt know a soul.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

Hi guys

I have sent a e mail to all States.I have been told that I need to have lived in Oz for 12 months before any state will give me a security licence I believe I need Grade 2E,F.
I am still in Sydney but cant believe there is nothing in place such as a temp licence for over seas workers.
I know you guys said that you got one after only a few months.Would you still have any contact details that I may be able to contact them for some advice.

Thanks Mark.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 8:53 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys

I have sent a e mail to all States.I have been told that I need to have lived in Oz for 12 months before any state will give me a security licence I believe I need Grade 2E,F.
I am still in Sydney but cant believe there is nothing in place such as a temp licence for over seas workers.
I know you guys said that you got one after only a few months.Would you still have any contact details that I may be able to contact them for some advice.

Thanks Mark.
Hi essentially in Victoria the licence states you need to be here on a 12+ month visa. Also you need two suitibility references from people (Of a certian Job category)who have known you in australia for 12 Months under australian law.

That is the Kicker, I applied for one just yesterday but luckily I had a Licence in NSW some years ago and have employers that fitted these conditions. Otherwise it would have been hard/impossible.

However if your company brought you over I cant see why they cannot sort this for you.
Old Jan 19th 2009, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks,No my company strange but true dont have alot of info on this.NSW police has just come back to me and said that I need to be a permanent Australian residents which I think I can applie for after 12 months again so looks like all roads lead to a year in Oz.

Thanks for your reply.