Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Security jobs in Brisbane

Security jobs in Brisbane

Old Oct 31st 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough
Default Security jobs in Brisbane

Have just got to Brisbane where I already have a job, but my OH has to now find one. He's been doing site security in the UK having got his SIA licences.

Any advice on how to get a security job out here would be much appreciated - i.e. licencing, best places to look for jobs etc. Unfortunately he doesn't have a driving licence & a lot of the jobs that he has looked at ask for one.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 31st 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Security jobs in Brisbane

Originally Posted by katamina
Have just got to Brisbane where I already have a job, but my OH has to now find one. He's been doing site security in the UK having got his SIA licences.

Any advice on how to get a security job out here would be much appreciated - i.e. licencing, best places to look for jobs etc. Unfortunately he doesn't have a driving licence & a lot of the jobs that he has looked at ask for one.

Thanks in advance
Your OH may be interested in this - www.dcs.qld.gov.au
They are activly recruiting at the moment.

Scot
Old Oct 31st 2008, 12:45 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
My hubby owns a security firm, but we are on the Gold Coast, he will have to get a QLD security license which means doing a course that lasts about a week. He has to get his license before he can commence work. Takes up to 28 days to process. Alot of security guards here are self employed so may be worth him getting an ABN number just incase. You can do this online and it's free. He then has the choice of working for himself as a contractor or getting a job. Alot of guards work for themselves as contractors yet under a firm that has regular contracts in place.

Marie
Old Oct 31st 2008, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

SmilingNurse is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, We are also hoping to come to Brisbane. I have a job offer but my husband hasn't. He will be in the same position as yours in that he has 21 years portering / security work here in the UK but will have to undertake extra courses / get licence once in Australia. We did a search on Seek and there did seem to be a lot of security jobs advertised in the Brisbane area but many didn't have the wage attached! May be worth a look & telephoning a few.

Also we noticed that the necessary courses seemed to be run on an ad-hoc system....once enough applicants then the course is held. Would be great if you could let us know how he goes on with both the course & job hunting.

Good luck xx
Old Oct 31st 2008, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough

This is the OH...

I have already discussed licencing with the Office Of Fair Trading, and they have told me I most probably, will not have to retreain to get my QLD licence(s).

Thank you for the responses, and I will check out any and all of the websites/places suggested to me.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 2:31 am
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

This is the OH...

I have already discussed licencing with the Office Of Fair Trading, and they have told me I most probably, will not have to retreain to get my QLD licence(s).

Thank you for the responses, and I will check out any and all of the websites/places suggested to me.
My husband was a security trainer in the UK for a while and also has his SITO (no idea what that is) and he still had to do the course out here. You will also need to get your first aid done as most security jobs require it, this is part of the training anyway so would only have to get it if you didn't do the training. It's not an expensive course so might be worth doing anyway, my hubby says there are differences between the 2 countries.

Marie

Last edited by 68MEVY; Nov 1st 2008 at 2:31 am. Reason: if you type 2 quickly, you make mistakes!