Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Secret Harbour/Mandurah/Rockingham Colleges?

Secret Harbour/Mandurah/Rockingham Colleges?

Old Nov 3rd 2006, 12:56 am
Just Joined

The Nices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secret Harbour/Mandurah/Rockingham Colleges?

We have 2 children, 14 and 12 and are hoping to move to Secret Harbour. Does anyone know of a good college in the Secret Harbour catchment area. We are currently in Hallidays Point (near Tuncurry, NSW) and are having a very bad experience with the local college. We need to move! :scared:

If anyone has any information on the local colleges with regard to discipline and general behaviour within the classrooms, and quality of teaching we would be very grateful for your input.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secret Harbour/Mandurah/Rockingham Colleges?

Originally Posted by The Nices
We have 2 children, 14 and 12 and are hoping to move to Secret Harbour. Does anyone know of a good college in the Secret Harbour catchment area. We are currently in Hallidays Point (near Tuncurry, NSW) and are having a very bad experience with the local college. We need to move! :scared:

If anyone has any information on the local colleges with regard to discipline and general behaviour within the classrooms, and quality of teaching we would be very grateful for your input.
I take you mean private schools seeing as you are referring t them as colleges for a 14 and 12 year old. Kolbe Catholic college (Rockingham), Frederick Irwin (Mandurah) are the best around. Wouldn't like to comment too much on the public schools as I am not over impressed.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:18 am
Just Joined

The Nices is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I meant public schools.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

The chances of you being able to move over here and get your children into any of the best private schools straightaway is remote, they all have such long waiting lists. If it's definitely private you want, the No.1 ranked is Frederick Irwin (and I'm not just saying that 'cos my kids are there, it's the only one to get into the top ten rankings in the state league tables). Others in this area include Mandurah Catholic College, Mandurah Baptist College, Foundation Christian College (Greenfields), Living Waters Lutheran College (Warnbro), Tranby College (Baldivis). More info can be found at http://www.ais.wa.edu.au/ You need to get onto the waiting lists soon to be in with a chance. It gets easier for Years 11 and 12, although having said that, the school leaving age is going up, so even those years won't be so quiet in the future.

For government schools, I guess you'd be in the catchment for Rockingham schools like Warnbro Community High but I'm not familiar with this area. I believe they are building a new high school at Secret Harbour, but don't know what stage this is at.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

The public schools around Rockingham are Rockingham High (wouldn't touch it with a barge pole), Warnbro High (depends on who you are talking to what their opinion is), Safety Bay High (Not too bad I think, they have a programme for cleverer kids), can't help with Mandurah end I'm afraid.
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

The Thorpes is on a distinguished road

Secret Harbour has its own High School now called Comet Bay. It opened at the beginning of the school year in February and has been operating in the new Primary school. The new High School building is nearing completion and all the students will move across for the beginning of the school term in February 2007 and the Primary school will be used for Primary school students as intended. My kids go to the Primary so I can't comment directly on Comet Bay other than to say that I have not heard anything bad about it (unlike Warnbro High!).

Here is the link to their website:

http://www.cometbaycollege.det.wa.edu.au/main.html

Good luck with your move and if you need any more info, let me know.

Sam
Old Nov 3rd 2006, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
The public schools around Rockingham are Rockingham High (wouldn't touch it with a barge pole), Warnbro High (depends on who you are talking to what their opinion is), Safety Bay High (Not too bad I think, they have a programme for cleverer kids), can't help with Mandurah end I'm afraid.
Here we have Halls Head Community College and Mandurah high. Neither have a good rep and both are middle schools and only go up to year 10.