Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Secondary Teaching in Sydney-Extra Unit at UNI?!

Secondary Teaching in Sydney-Extra Unit at UNI?!

Old May 30th 2011, 11:25 am
Just Joined

ACARRON is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondary Teaching in Sydney-Extra Unit at UNI?!

Hi all!! I have applied to be a teacher in NSW and I have just received my State of Eligibility.. It states that I have to cover one unit of accounting or finance in order to teach Business.. Does anyone know the best way to move on from here??... I have handed in my notice and I am due to move to Sydney on the 8th of August!! EEK!..

What to do?? Uni in UK? Would they accept Open University unit!!!??

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks in advance!!!

Adam

Last edited by ACARRON; May 30th 2011 at 11:45 am.
Old May 30th 2011, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: Secondary Teaching in Sydney-Extra Unit at UNI?!

They definitely do accept Open University in Australia (at least the Australian one). I'm currently doing my Bachelor of Teaching at UTS to teach secondary maths, but as I did an engineering degree they've only credited me with four out of the six unit of maths needed. Our lecturer told some of the others that they can do the extra units that they need at open university.

Personally for you, it might be worth enrolling in a unit at uni over here. The semester starts at the beginning of August and if you could find a unit that matches your requirements you'd be done by December. I also think that as long as you've passed the education bits of a course you can apply for interim / pre-approval to teach as casual, have a look on the teach.nsw website. That way you could potentially earn some money as a casual teacher while you complete that unit.

Hope that helps.
Old May 30th 2011, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

There are distance ed programs from Charles Sturt and other universities here but you do realize that it is going to cost you big bucks as an international student - and what visa are you coming on because there are some visas which dont entitle you to study. The OU would be the cheapest option I would think, unless you can defer your departure and do it on site somewhere.

Teaching in NSW is as tight as can be so perhaps this is your big chance to branch out into something more lucrative that pays better and where you have a better chance of being employed.

Can you rescind your resignation and give yourself a bit longer to get organized?
Old May 31st 2011, 1:28 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
There are distance ed programs from Charles Sturt and other universities here but you do realize that it is going to cost you big bucks as an international student - and what visa are you coming on because there are some visas which dont entitle you to study. The OU would be the cheapest option I would think, unless you can defer your departure and do it on site somewhere.

Teaching in NSW is as tight as can be so perhaps this is your big chance to branch out into something more lucrative that pays better and where you have a better chance of being employed.

Can you rescind your resignation and give yourself a bit longer to get organized?

This is no understatement, access to the teaching profession is jealously guarded in NSW, and for not a significant reward. I would take Quoll's advice and consider looking at something else.

I was declined teacher accreditation because of where I did my PGCE. I told them to stick it, and went back to engineering. I certainly don't regret it, as the money is significantly better than I could have ever hoped to earn as a teacher.

S
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

ACARRON is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKS ALL FOR THE FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS!!!

HURRAY I GOT APPROVED TO TEACH BUSINESS AND COMMERCE!!!!

NO EXTRA UNITS TO DO!!!

XX

Old Jun 14th 2011, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ACARRON
THANKS ALL FOR THE FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS!!!

HURRAY I GOT APPROVED TO TEACH BUSINESS AND COMMERCE!!!!

NO EXTRA UNITS TO DO!!!

XX

Congratulations. Good luck with it all.