Reload this Page >

Secondary school teaching NSW

Secondary school teaching NSW

Old Aug 10th 2018, 11:14 am
Just Joined

2mature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Secondary school teaching NSW

Hi all,

First post here. I am currently just starting skills assessment and will be going about applying for a visa 489/189/190 once that is done. The plan is to move with wife and two toddlers in June/July 2020. I have a full time job here (Ireland) and will be taking a career break initially just so as to ensure I do get PR if I end up on 489. With the top scores in IELTS I will be coming in at 65 points as I am 37 years old. This is only barely 189 and do not think I will get invited on this so looking at 489/190.

I was just wondering if people had any information on the following
1. Is there much work regionally for PE/History teachers (have curriculum role in my school also) as I know cities are oversupplied (NSW is only state with Secondary Teaching on 489/190 list)
2. Realistically I would have to be on the ground to set up interviews etc I assume?
3. Which visa would I stand best with 65 points in achieveing?
4. Time frame from applying for skills assessment to offering of 489/190 (peoples experiences )
5. MARA Agent? just for Visa application or also skills assessment - obviously want to keep costs as low as I can considering price of visas etc...

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance
Old Aug 10th 2018, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Secondary school teaching NSW

I will speak to your first two questions.

1. "Regionally" is huge. It really depends what you mean by "regional." In the nicer regional areas, it is harder to get a job than in the city. In less desirable regional areas, turnover is high and so there are more opportunities. What you teach is fluid and it's common, especially in lower secondary, to teach outside your subject area. If you are "history and PE or bust" then your chances will be very limited - those two subjects, in particular, are heavily oversubscribed. If you're willing to teach whatever pops open mid-year when someone goes out on stress leave, needs an operation, takes a job somewhere else, or whatever, you will greatly improve your odds. If you are any good at teaching, are reasonably ambidextrous at what you teach, and are willing to live inland regional to start - you will get a job at some point.

Note that regional/country is different from Outback.

2. Yes you will have to be on the ground. The best thing is to start as a casual in the inland regional areas. Demand is high and if there is a reliable casual reliever, that is the first place they look when a position opens up mid-year. If you are willing to drive an hour each way that puts a lot of schools on your radar and you can also scout which ones you like and don't like. Go scout areas before you move there and just directly ask the schools if they need relief or not. They will tell you.

A last comment - make sure you can get registered in New South Wales. They have a different system than the rest of Australia, and no mutual recognition with the other states/territories. You might want to do that first. NSW registration is separate from an AITSL skills assessment. I have a teacher friend who just moved from Western Australia to New South Wales and the hoops he had to jump through in NSW to just be casual were staggering.

Last edited by carcajou; Aug 10th 2018 at 12:52 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2018, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

2mature is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Secondary school teaching NSW

Hi carcajou,

Thanks so much for taking the time to give such a detailed reply. Will take all on board.

Thanks again