Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Secondary school

Secondary school

Old May 5th 2005, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all
Default Secondary school

hi there

Can anyone tell me if children (young adults really) in secondary school sit exams each year, or is it like here where you just sit the big one at the end. My daughter is in Year 7 and would just like to know.

Thanks

Sarah
Old May 5th 2005, 4:38 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Secondary school

Originally Posted by coxfamuk
hi there

Can anyone tell me if children (young adults really) in secondary school sit exams each year, or is it like here where you just sit the big one at the end. My daughter is in Year 7 and would just like to know.

Thanks

Sarah
In NSW, you used to sit one at the end of each semester. You would probably get definitive answers if you looked up the education department's website in the state you'll be moving to.
Old May 5th 2005, 4:45 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Secondary school

We sat small tests during each term which counted a certain percentage towards the final end of term exams. Then at the end of the year (a few weeks after the final term exams) we sat the BIG ONE. All the term exams counted a certain percentage towards the big one.

If you passed the BIG ONE you passed the year and got promoted to the next year. If you FAILED you STAYED DOWN in that year and did it again.
If you failed a year 2 or 3 times then they looked at sorting you out and maybe even putting you in a special school.

This system is a great way of making sure the kids weren`t too lazy. Except for me.... dead lazy and still scraped through each year.