Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

189 granted!!! What do we do next

189 granted!!! What do we do next

Old Nov 29th 2017, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Gayle and Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 189 granted!!! What do we do next

Our 189 visa has been granted!!! Super excited but now everything feels real and I have no idea where to start!! We are planning on moving to Perth as have friends there and there are quite a few options for my husband work wise. My main questions are, where do we start with everything. Does anyone have any tip or advise on how they made the move?? I guess the main thing is to sell our house and rental flat. When did you ship everything? Did you rent until your move? We have a 4 and 1 year old so want to make things as easy as possible for them. Any advice would we greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 189 granted!!! What do we do next

Take a career break, rent out your home and buy a plane ticket. Suck it and see.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 6:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gayle and Ross
Our 189 visa has been granted!!! Super excited but now everything feels real and I have no idea where to start!! We are planning on moving to Perth as have friends there and there are quite a few options for my husband work wise. My main questions are, where do we start with everything. Does anyone have any tip or advise on how they made the move?? I guess the main thing is to sell our house and rental flat. When did you ship everything? Did you rent until your move? We have a 4 and 1 year old so want to make things as easy as possible for them. Any advice would we greatly appreciated.
have a read through this Sticky Thread http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr...useful-345774/
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Do some research if Perth is really the best place. It is suffering a significant economic downturn.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

geo_1987 is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations! We’ve completed our EOI form 5 weeks ago.... how long did you wait for your invite?
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I would firstly go to an Australian State that has plenty of work in your husbands skill sector, I know it might be easier to join friends but there are plenty of people on here who migrated to Australia and did not know a soul ...which was our case. Do your research on the areas you may have think suits you..if you are going to head to Perth have a good look around, what we preferred some people who we sort of knew in the UK came out and stayed with us and then went on to move all over WA instead of where we lived (must of been something we said lol) seriously though I have known people who moved to be with family and friends and in a lot of the cases it did lead to some.....trouble....your moving for your family and what area best suits your needs. Sell or rent your home in the UK, sell,give or throw away "things" you do not either use or want or need, then have 3 shipping companies value the cost of shipping and choose the best quote to suit you. The most important thing though is go where there is work as without that any new life will be hard which might make you 2nd guess your move which is something you don't want to be doing. Good luck and I hope all works out.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 12:42 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
I would firstly go to an Australian State that has plenty of work in your husbands skill sector, I know it might be easier to join friends but there are plenty of people on here who migrated to Australia and did not know a soul ...which was our case. Do your research on the areas you may have think suits you..if you are going to head to Perth have a good look around, what we preferred some people who we sort of knew in the UK came out and stayed with us and then went on to move all over WA instead of where we lived (must of been something we said lol) seriously though I have known people who moved to be with family and friends and in a lot of the cases it did lead to some.....trouble....your moving for your family and what area best suits your needs. Sell or rent your home in the UK, sell,give or throw away "things" you do not either use or want or need, then have 3 shipping companies value the cost of shipping and choose the best quote to suit you. The most important thing though is go where there is work as without that any new life will be hard which might make you 2nd guess your move which is something you don't want to be doing. Good luck and I hope all works out.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by geo_1987
Congratulations! We’ve completed our EOI form 5 weeks ago.... how long did you wait for your invite?
Thank you. We only waited 2 days for our EOI. It all happened quite quickly for us. After our visa was lodged it took just under 5 months. Good luck
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by brits1
Thanks for your reply, very useful advice. We have been looking online for jobs and there seems to be a few jobs for him. Hopefully that will still be the case when we are in a position to move. We have researched other stated and locations however we really like the look of Perth. Ive started declutering, it's amazing the amount of stuff we forgot we even had!! Did you get the shopping companies to come to the house to give you a quite or did you do it online?
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 9:05 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gayle and Ross
Thanks for your reply, very useful advice. We have been looking online for jobs and there seems to be a few jobs for him. Hopefully that will still be the case when we are in a position to move. We have researched other stated and locations however we really like the look of Perth. Ive started declutering, it's amazing the amount of stuff we forgot we even had!! Did you get the shopping companies to come to the house to give you a quite or did you do it online?
Are you sure about the jobs thing? As has been said, WA is not the best place for jobs right now. My partner is in mining and gets "job postings" from recruiters that we know are fake. Most recently one in Collie (which has pretty much died) on a 2:1FIFO from Perth. Collie is about a 2 hour drive.

Not trying to put you off, but do research where you are likely to find work.
Old Dec 8th 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually got 3 companies to come round for a valuation after I had "de-cluttered" the difference in their costing was very varied. I am not sure what your husbands line of work is but really try and choose a state that does have work as it can be VERY stressful otherwise. We did not have the internet when we were looking at States it was all travel information or books at the library, anywhere can sound and look great and if you know that WA has work, you like the isolation of WA that you do not mind really long very hot dry Summers (I mention these two for starters as for me these are some of the most important things to know and I consider that now here in Europe after WA/Australia experience) Australia has lots to offer so try and make where you are going really work for you. Good luck