Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

second time around?

second time around?

Old Mar 6th 2005, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice
Default second time around?

we moved to Perth in 2003 (perm resident visa) but returned after 6 months as the education system didn't slot in with three teenagers, 16yr old and twin 17 yr olds (I'm sure it would have been easier had they been younger). Also, Perth didn't really seem the place for us - the city was lovely, as were the beaches and weather. However, not being able to afford to live near the city, we weren't keen on the suburbs.

Now the kids(?) are older, we thought maybe we would try again. They could perhaps study at Uni or do a gap year (s) and then once we had citizenship, we could make our minds up. This time we are thinking of trying Melbourne, but will definately have a holiday there first.

Are there people out there who tried a second time and if so did things work out?

Any thoughts/views/experiences appreciated.
Old Mar 6th 2005, 4:52 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: second time around?

Originally Posted by lissysarah
we moved to Perth in 2003 (perm resident visa) but returned after 6 months as the education system didn't slot in with three teenagers, 16yr old and twin 17 yr olds (I'm sure it would have been easier had they been younger). Also, Perth didn't really seem the place for us - the city was lovely, as were the beaches and weather. However, not being able to afford to live near the city, we weren't keen on the suburbs.

Now the kids(?) are older, we thought maybe we would try again. They could perhaps study at Uni or do a gap year (s) and then once we had citizenship, we could make our minds up. This time we are thinking of trying Melbourne, but will definately have a holiday there first.

Are there people out there who tried a second time and if so did things work out?

I have dealt with one family,who have been back to the uk,a least 4 times over the last 12 years, every time they came back they would have one less kid, now they have just returned for the final time {they say}with no kids[all settled in the uk} mum and dad, retiring in the Barrossa valley. Nice if you can afford to do it................ mm
Old Mar 7th 2005, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

lissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nicelissysarah is just really nice

was just hoping for some personal experiences - It seems from looking at this forum, speaking to people both here and in Aus, that it is quite common for people to try more than once, & I wanted to know their views.

Are you Mr Mover, a removal company or migration agent or what?

Would be grateful for opinions from those who have made the move more than once - and NO we can't afford it! Just eternal optimists, unlike some of the smart sofisticated people on here!
Old Mar 8th 2005, 12:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr mover
I have dealt with one family,who have been back to the uk,a least 4 times over the last 12 years, every time they came back they would have one less kid, now they have just returned for the final time {they say}with no kids[all settled in the uk} mum and dad, retiring in the Barrossa valley. Nice if you can afford to do it................ mm
It's not just a question of being able to afford to do so, it's also a question of having the right visa/citizenship status.

Jeremy
Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:34 am
ABCDiamond

Hi
I am one of those that has come back to Australia for a 2nd try, but I changed States this time. I was in Sydney first, but never really settled, returned to the UK, and then 4 years later came back out, but now settled and happy in SE QLD.

It can depend a lot on where you end up settling.

I also know of people who tried QLD first, but are now happily settled in Sydney (We are all so different aren't we )

Old Mar 8th 2005, 1:42 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=lissysarah] However, not being able to afford to live near the city, we weren't keen on the suburbs.

Well you said any views so here goes,
if you couldn't afford city life in 2003 you certainly won't now. Perth is the cheapest in Australia for housing so if your going to get a deal here would be the place but I would think your budget won't get you near the city or any other city either. That is unless you have been saving like lunatics while back in the UK.
The house prices here have shot up, since your last visit probably 30%+. A lot of the northern subburbs have incresed by 20% in the last 12 months.

Jenny
Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=jensteve]
However, not being able to afford to live near the city, we weren't keen on the suburbs.

Well you said any views so here goes,
if you couldn't afford city life in 2003 you certainly won't now. Perth is the cheapest in Australia for housing so if your going to get a deal here would be the place but I would think your budget won't get you near the city or any other city either. That is unless you have been saving like lunatics while back in the UK.
The house prices here have shot up, since your last visit probably 30%+. A lot of the northern subburbs have incresed by 20% in the last 12 months.

Jenny
If we try again - it will probably be Melbourne, but would go for a holiday first.
I did like central Perth but lived in Joondalup, and personally found Perth pretty dull once you went beyond a couple of miles out of the city.(sorry if this gets people's backs up, but just my opinion). With 3 kids we needed a 4 bed house and couldn't afford that too close to the city.
I know that Melbourne is more expensive, but the 'layout' of the city seems quite different and from what I've read/heard I think it may suit us better.Looking at real estate websites there are places we can afford within approx 10km of city centre.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 8:40 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

was just hoping for some personal experiences - It seems from looking at this forum, speaking to people both here and in Aus, that it is quite common for people to try more than once, & I wanted to know their views.

Are you Mr Mover, a removal company or migration agent or what?

Would be grateful for opinions from those who have made the move more than once - and NO we can't afford it! Just eternal optimists, unlike some of the smart sofisticated people on here!
Sorry sarah im a removalist, who has spent 23 years , watching people come to Australia, full of optimism, only to see them , leave 18mths later,and people who after 6mths here, meld into the fabric of Australian society , and disappear. The people i mentioned, had acheived , the required two years , they returned to the uk because their eldest had never settled in oz, [19] so they went back , and then all their other kid s , did the same thing so now all the kids are in the UK . And mum and dad are living the high life And just a note if you had met these spoil brats , you would want to be 12000 miles away from them. mm
Old Mar 8th 2005, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

thank you abc diamond for your reply. Also Mr Mover, am genuinely interested, as to make this move twice is obviously a concern. Lets face it, we got it wrong last time
However, I think it was partly due to the kids ages and perhaps not picking the correct location for us.
Perhaps the first time we should have allowed time to travel and see other states, but with the kids ages we were concious of the fact we had to get them into the education system asap. And likewise when it didnt go well, we felt we had to move back and 'correct' our mistakes asap.
Believe it or not, we spent two long years researching etc and were convinced all would be well. We still feel that it may work out, but want to be more cautious this time and are therefore seeking the views of those who maybe went back again (to a diferent area) wether or not successfully or unsuccessfully.
cheers all