Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second thoughts...

Second thoughts...

Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:29 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Second thoughts...

I imagine I am not alone here, having serious second thoughts about making such a big move. I'm quitting a well paid job (the only one I've had since school), leaving the area I've grown up and started to raise a family in etc etc.

BUT.... I love Australia. The times I've been there have been awesome and I so want to live there. My kids should have a better future, not that the UK couldn't offer them one, I just don't know where the UK is heading anymore and is one of the biggest reasons for going. There are more but if you're moving / have moved then you already know what they are.

I apologize if I'm rambling, but after an ale or two my mind has to put things down in writing.

Is it normal to be bricking it quite so much?
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 10:45 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second thoughts...

Originally Posted by dave7370
I imagine I am not alone here, having serious second thoughts about making such a big move. I'm quitting a well paid job (the only one I've had since school), leaving the area I've grown up and started to raise a family in etc etc.

BUT.... I love Australia. The times I've been there have been awesome and I so want to live there. My kids should have a better future, not that the UK couldn't offer them one, I just don't know where the UK is heading anymore and is one of the biggest reasons for going. There are more but if you're moving / have moved then you already know what they are.

I apologize if I'm rambling, but after an ale or two my mind has to put things down in writing.

Is it normal to be bricking it quite so much?
I reckon everyone goes through the 'Oh ****' stage...

I'd write a big long list of the reasons you're going and then divide them into the pushes and pulls... and then write another list of the things that you think are against the move... Then sleep on it and read them through in the morning... everything always makes much more sense in the morning...

Chin up...!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Location: woodbridge suffolk hoping to go live northside brisbane
suffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant futuresuffolk nuts has a brilliant future

hi we are hopefully leaving uk at the end of july and still having second thoughts that are we doing the right thing we too have lived in the same area all our lives and this will be a total life change for us but hey if it doesnt work out we are young enough to come back again but if you dont try you will never know you will be for ever saying what if we had gone lifes to short to miss a great opportunitunity and england doesnt seem to be getting any better,hope all goes well for you
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:06 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

2nd thoughts ?

Wait till you reach 2,314,487 thoughts !!

It sends you mad i tell ya

Lee
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:15 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hey we are hoping to be leaving before the end of this month and every day we still ask each other the same question.........'Are we doing the right thing?'

Of course we wont know the answer to it until we've done it though will we???

C x
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Lisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura aboutLisa and Lance has a spectacular aura about

Don't think about it, just do it. You'll end up talking yourself out of going otherwise.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:21 am

london cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud oflondon cabbie has much to be proud of

Keep reading the newspapers!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:34 am
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

After a good nights kip, this morning has greeted me with a little more clarity. I think beer fuelled thinking should be out-lawed as it makes you question the answers you already had to the difficult questions.

Had a long chat with my wife this morning and came to the conclusion we already had. Yes, it's a huge move. Yes, it may not work out in the long run. But, if we don't do it now we never will and 10 years down the road will just be filled with regrets and what-if's.

It's going to be an adventure with highs and lows but as long as we're together then we'll see our way through.

(2 weeks left till I'm unemployed... eeek!)

Many thanks to all who posted replies.

ATB,

Dave, Chez and Jacob
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 9:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Australia is often a very frustrating place for Europeans, but ironically this may make it a real opportunity for someone who is trained, works at his job, does it well and looks after his customers.

Having endured nearly three years of companies and tradesmen who just don't seem to care about your job - never calling back, not turning up etc - it knocks you back when someone does a good job, documents everything well and generally behaves professionally. And then you recommend him to others and so their business grows.

For example, I've just had my driveway finished: the quote was well written, covered all the points I'd put in the tender request, had a firm price and the execution was as quoted, on time and very competently finished. It cost several thousand $$ more than the next, but was worth it - and I am recommending the concretor to friends.
Old Jun 3rd 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

JuandPaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my God!
What a night I have had too!
We thought we had made that final decision then late last night every question possible pops into my head!
We haven't even started anything yet and here we are questioning it all already.
Its been SO helpful reading a thread like this.
If it was just myself and OH it wouldn't seem so bad but when you are making decisions on behalf of your kids lives it all seems much more complicated.
Both sets of parents are supporting us, although both have made it clear they are not happy about it.
It has been particular hard for me as my children are my Mum's only Grandchildren and it means the distance will feel greater.
The kids tell us they don't want to go so the pressure is on.
We know deep down its something we need to try before time runs out(OH is 35 next yr & will need extra points!), But are we playing with our kids lives or just trying to make them better??
God!I sound so depressing!Sorry!!

Someone throw me some advice too!!!I'm desperate for it!!