British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Second Marriages do they work? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/second-marriages-do-they-work-259304/)

junekelly Oct 11th 2004 8:10 am

Second Marriages do they work?

Just an interesting observation ,second marriages seem to be something thats happening more and more, but unfortunately so are second divorces.

Whats your feelings on this ?

Is the divorse rate increasing?
Do second marriages work?

Would love to hear from people who have married a second time or divorced a second time

PortJackson Oct 11th 2004 8:17 am

Re: Second Marriages do they work?

Originally Posted by junekelly
Just an interesting observation ,second marriages seem to be something thats happening more and more, but unfortunately so are second divorces.

Would love to hear from people who have married a second time or divorced a second time

Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience

Jacko1 Oct 11th 2004 8:21 am

Originally Posted by PortJackson

LOL :D :D

PJ

podgypossum Oct 11th 2004 8:25 am

Most definitely better the second time round... in my world anyway

i learnt from my mistakes the first time round and made my choice from my head as well as my heart this time...something we rarely do in our youth

walaj Oct 11th 2004 8:28 am

good one PJ

Well my parents have been married over 30yrs and for both it is their second.

My sister it is over 7yrs on her 2nd (and so is her husband), after getting married for all the wrong reasons at a too young an age.

Why do you ask? are you going for the complete new life? A new business and new marriage? :)

junekelly Oct 11th 2004 8:46 am

Being a Gemini , I'm into everything and have an extemely active mind. New business is a yes , but it does link with holiday accommodation and with Real Estate, something that I'm already doing. As for a second marriage, not really to sure about that one. I kind of like freedom to change my mind when the mood takes hold of me. I would also say that I'm pretty pig headed, so I would really pity the poor man that would end up married to me :D . I'm in my second childhood and exploring all the opportunities that life has to offer. I hope that answers your questions :)

junekelly Oct 11th 2004 8:49 am

Originally Posted by podgypossum
Most definitely better the second time round... in my world anyway

i learnt from my mistakes the first time round and made my choice from my head as well as my heart this time...something we rarely do in our youth

Great outlook that you have to life podgypossum, its good to hear people that are happy with their choices

junekelly Oct 11th 2004 8:51 am

Originally Posted by PortJackson

What a great quote PortJackson , a deep meaning and one to consider

junekelly Oct 11th 2004 8:53 am

Originally Posted by walaj
good one PJ

Well my parents have been married over 30yrs and for both it is their second.

My sister it is over 7yrs on her 2nd (and so is her husband), after getting married for all the wrong reasons at a too young an age.

Why do you ask? are you going for the complete new life? A new business and new marriage? :)

Could be what they term as a mid life crisis, but I haven't got my sports car yet ;) . Maybe I can work on that one next :D

jugsy Oct 11th 2004 9:01 am

Although this is my first marriage (and only I hope) my husband has been married before. He and his first wife were young and would not have stayed together or got married at all if they hadn't had their daughter. They lived in misery for 8 years until she met someone else. The day she left my husband breathed a sigh of relief that it was over although he was concerned for their children. He met me 18 months later and knew straight away he wanted to be with me for the rest of his life and I feel the same way. We've been together for 7 years ,married for 5 and a half and we are still very much in love. His parents divorced when he was 7 and thirty years later are both with their second partners. I think in the cases where people have married too young and don't truly know who they are compatible with or what will make them happy 2nd marriages can be much better than first marriages. In cases where one person is seriously flawed in some way (alcoholic,violent,possessive,emotionally crippled ,serial cheater etc) then a second marrige will probably fail too.

Craig822 Oct 11th 2004 9:05 am

June

My second marriage lasted for just over 8 years and my THIRD is in its 6th year. Thankfully I only have children from my current marriage (2 wonderful kids). The first marriage only lasted 3 months :scared: :eek: . I was 20 at the time and FAR too young to know what I was doing. Second time I was 24 and thought I knew a bit more.

Unfortunately I didn't. Panicked when I got an overseas posting (RAF) and popped the question. Knew it was the wrong thing after about 4 years and ironically we parted as we couldn't have children, my wife wanted them and I didn't at the time!!.

To answer the question of whether second marriages work - I think the question should be: do MARRIAGES work?!?. Answer - don't chuffin ask me - what do I know ;)

Seriously I've finally found my soul-mate - never been happier in my life, even if we do have ups and downs. If your life ain't working - FIX IT, you only get one stay on the planet.

Ciao.

jugsy Oct 11th 2004 9:13 am

[QUOTE=Craig Brooke]June

To answer the question of whether second marriages work - I think the question should be: do MARRIAGES work?!?. Answer - don't chuffin ask me - what do I know ;)

LOL
:D
Hopefully you've found the right girl this time :)

jopaulss Oct 11th 2004 10:30 am

Yep a marriage will work i suppose if you are compatiable, you are both willing to work hard for what you have together, live with each others good points and bad and loads more. My gran always told me if you have a arguement always make up before either one of you steps outside the door, you never know what might happen.
We have been together since we where 16 thats now 20 years :scared: married for 16 of them and we have 2 kids aged 14 and 12, its been hard at times especially as we have had to grow up together and accept we have differences so we have to work at the marriage at times. But all in all its good i love him to bits and wouldnt change him for the world :D (i need a new dress for sirens wedding on Friday ;) )
Good luck if you are on your first, second or third marriage it doesnt matter as long as you are happy ;)
Joanne

Go Banana's !! Oct 11th 2004 10:54 am

I think so but you still have to work at it (I'm sure Mrs Banana will jump in and give her opinion).

I am on wifey no. 2 and am very happy !!

Warren :D

Bellefield Oct 11th 2004 11:25 am

The first time for love
The second time for money
And the third time, just for the hell of it

Good Luck, just keep going until you feel ready to stop
Bellefield