Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second interview in Melbourne - Now salary expectations

Second interview in Melbourne - Now salary expectations

Old Sep 16th 2011, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all
Default Second interview in Melbourne - Now salary expectations

Well, I have locked a second interview in Melbourne as per my threat before: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...81#post9611781

When I applied for the position I ticked $95k+ (the highest in the app) and now they are asking my salary expectations again.

My last salary in London in a similar role was £45K for a medium managerial position, it's suppose that this one is a senior managerial role and now I have an extra masters degree and other qualifications on my CV.

I think that is a terrible idea to discuss about numbers at this stage, but what do you think you think it can be a good salary in Melbourne considering that the industry is not that generous (publishing)? I looking for a number high enough to have a comfy life but keeping me in the competition with the other applicants.

Thanks!

Last edited by MAR001; Sep 16th 2011 at 7:06 am.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second interview in Melbourne - Now salary expectations

If it were just an agent I would probably dodge the question but hard to do that when it is a direct question with employer. I must admit when my company HR do first round they always establish salary expectation so this probably is not unusual a question.

I think you need to have a think ... what is your salary expectation? Look for other, similar jobs what are they paying? The original salary they stated has to come into it too. Going from £45k in London to 95k in Melbourne seems like a little bit of a drop but sometimes and in some occupations that happens. My husband had to take a drop initially but within nine months he was promoted and ahead of where he was job and salary wise.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

MAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to allMAR001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
If it were just an agent I would probably dodge the question but hard to do that when it is a direct question with employer. I must admit when my company HR do first round they always establish salary expectation so this probably is not unusual a question.

I think you need to have a think ... what is your salary expectation? Look for other, similar jobs what are they paying? The original salary they stated has to come into it too. Going from £45k in London to 95k in Melbourne seems like a little bit of a drop but sometimes and in some occupations that happens. My husband had to take a drop initially but within nine months he was promoted and ahead of where he was job and salary wise.
Thank you Bermudashorts.
I got the number 95K+ in the application screening by simple selection. The add didn't have salary range so I perhaps have some room for negotiation. The salary for similar roles is in the region of 120 - 135k

I think that the best idea is to kindly avoid answering the question and talk about money after we meet each other in person and having a better look of the role, company, etc.. this will put me in a better position to negotiate in case they are interested.
Old Sep 16th 2011, 2:02 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

If its a blue chip company then they will have already decided the salary range for the role. You have two options

- Ask them the salary range for the role, or for an offer.
- Askfor a number yourself - I'd ask for the 120K and let them explain why you cant have it.
- If they want you they'll make an offer regardless of what you say

dont cheapen yourself 120 isnt a lot of money - they'll tell you what they can afford/want to pay you and usually they'll have 10% on top in reserve.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spalen
If its a blue chip company then they will have already decided the salary range for the role. You have two options

- Ask them the salary range for the role, or for an offer.
- Askfor a number yourself - I'd ask for the 120K and let them explain why you cant have it.
- If they want you they'll make an offer regardless of what you say

dont cheapen yourself 120 isnt a lot of money - they'll tell you what they can afford/want to pay you and usually they'll have 10% on top in reserve.
Yup - 95 too low. Almost taking the piss. 120 +.

Depends on the sector and market though.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Also think about what visa you will have. With a permanent visa the chances of being paid below market rate is lower, as you have the ability to change employer.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Also think about what visa you will have. With a permanent visa the chances of being paid below market rate is lower, as you have the ability to change employer.
Thanks JAJ. I hold permanent residency ve-175
Old Sep 18th 2011, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MAR001
Well, I have locked a second interview in Melbourne as per my threat before: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...81#post9611781

When I applied for the position I ticked $95k+ (the highest in the app) and now they are asking my salary expectations again.

My last salary in London in a similar role was £45K for a medium managerial position, it's suppose that this one is a senior managerial role and now I have an extra masters degree and other qualifications on my CV.

I think that is a terrible idea to discuss about numbers at this stage, but what do you think you think it can be a good salary in Melbourne considering that the industry is not that generous (publishing)? I looking for a number high enough to have a comfy life but keeping me in the competition with the other applicants.

Thanks!
As mentioned earlier the firm will probably have a salary band against which the job has been benchmarked.

Possible strategies would be to say that you are looking for remmuneration in line with the local market, commensurate with your skills, qualifications and experience. That would probably keep the recruitment pimps and HR happy by way of something to put on the form.

If push comes to shove then I would go on the higher side as you can always come back from that position. Almost impossible to go up from a low starting point. Put the ball in their court as to why they cannot pay your suggestion.

I also think that under A$100K is low ...

Best of luck