Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second hand cars in Oz

Second hand cars in Oz

Old Dec 12th 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light
Default Second hand cars in Oz

Hi everyone
Is it true that there is hardly any choice value for money when buying a second hand car in NSW. Have about 3 to 4 thousand pound to spend on a car but been advised by a friend who lives there that that will buy me next to nothing.
Old Dec 12th 2006, 9:38 am
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Second hand cars in Oz

Originally Posted by stardust
Hi everyone
Is it true that there is hardly any choice value for money when buying a second hand car in NSW. Have about 3 to 4 thousand pound to spend on a car but been advised by a friend who lives there that that will buy me next to nothing.
Try a search this has been asked loads of times!
Start with www.drive.com.au that should give you a good idea.

Dinky
Old Dec 13th 2006, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

stardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of lightstardust is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks - will do
Old Dec 14th 2006, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stardust

All depends on what you are after! In a shameless plug I will say I have a short wheel base Mitsuibishi Pajero for sale which might be of interest!

Drive.com.au, carsales.com.au and carpoint.com.au are all good resources.

Cheers

Will
Old Dec 14th 2006, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond reputesasbear has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
We looked to buy a second hand car for son in Canberra a few years ago. same price range but couldn't find anything that I would buy - ended up paying $6000
Old Dec 14th 2006, 2:10 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
If you're happy to go for a non-European or top tier Asian or Australian make, you should be able to find a reasonable car on that much. We have a hyundai, it's been pretty reliable and cheap to run (touch lots of wood), people sneer a bit because it's not a Toyota or a Holden or a Peugot but there are worse makes out there!!!
Old Dec 14th 2006, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willkerr
Hi Stardust

All depends on what you are after! In a shameless plug I will say I have a short wheel base Mitsuibishi Pajero for sale which might be of interest!

Drive.com.au, carsales.com.au and carpoint.com.au are all good resources.

Cheers

Will
Ooh, my brother used to have one of them, I loved it!
J.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Ooh, my brother used to have one of them, I loved it!
J.

I love it as well! Relectantly selling as we want a larger 4WD so we can do a trip around Australia (Gibb River Road, Oodandatta Track, Darling River Run, Canning, maybe!), can't afford to have two cars
Old Dec 14th 2006, 3:06 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone
For anything decent upwards of $15K. You might be lucky between $12 and $15K but below that you are looking at high mileage and doubtful history.

Some will say risk the cost - my advice pay extra for piece of mind (unless you are mechancially minded).