Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Second hand cars mileage...

Second hand cars mileage...

Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

Topy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Second hand cars mileage...

I have noticed that the numbers of kilometers covered by second hand cars in the Australian market are very high. This has left me wondering if the second hand cars really worth their displayed prices and if it's really worth going for one. Anyone having the same views as me?

Topy
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Second hand cars mileage...

They are very high compared to the UK, but remember that the numbers are all in km rather than miles. Also the distances traveled here are typically much greater than in the UK.
I remember being told something about the drier climate or warmer climate meaning the engine lasts longer than in the UK? Something like that! I'm sure this topic has come up before, try searching for it.
At the end of the day though they're worth what people will pay for them.

Also remember that at Aussie used car lots you are fully expected to haggle over the price - if they're advertising it at $8000, you'll almost certainly be able to get it for well under $7000, so start bargaining at $5995! (And that's not even pushing it, I'm sure others would say to start lower!)
Old Jun 21st 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Topy
I have noticed that the numbers of kilometers covered by second hand cars in the Australian market are very high. This has left me wondering if the second hand cars really worth their displayed prices and if it's really worth going for one. Anyone having the same views as me?

Topy
Better option is getting a new one, prices comparable with UK prices and depreciation no where near as steep. Also you know cars history as you make it!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 3:14 pm
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

hi, I am an Aussie (currenlty living in the UK) and what the previous posters are saying is correct.

Cars generally have higher mileage in Australia but there are a few things to remember:

Its in Km's not miles so can look high

We do drive longer distances at home - most often highway driving so a car will usually just sit on 100km/h rather than all the stop/start driving that you tend to do in the UK - obviously the stop/starting wears everything out quicker.

Cars are generally larger in Australia and have larger engines - larger engines can take more km's to kill than a smaller car - so your average family commodore in Australia can do well over 300,000kms before its dead (provided its looked after) where your average rover 25 (1.4 litre) that you drive in England will be on its way to poor health having done less than half that.

New cars don't depreciate in value as much in Australia as they do in the UK

Keep in mind that you can't compare brand to brand! Ie. in the UK cars that are relatiely cheap second hand (MG/Rover, Peugeut, VW, BMW, etc) are generally really expensive in Australia, whereas your Japanese/Korean cars or locally made cars are much cheaper (Toyota, KIA, Hyundai, Ford, Holden).

Tyres wear out much quicker in Australia though - think its got to do with warmer conditions which = softer rubber = more wear and tear!

regards

A
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 12:55 pm
Just Joined

Topy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AndyR1976
hi, I am an Aussie (currenlty living in the UK) and what the previous posters are saying is correct.

Cars generally have higher mileage in Australia but there are a few things to remember:

Its in Km's not miles so can look high

We do drive longer distances at home - most often highway driving so a car will usually just sit on 100km/h rather than all the stop/start driving that you tend to do in the UK - obviously the stop/starting wears everything out quicker.

Cars are generally larger in Australia and have larger engines - larger engines can take more km's to kill than a smaller car - so your average family commodore in Australia can do well over 300,000kms before its dead (provided its looked after) where your average rover 25 (1.4 litre) that you drive in England will be on its way to poor health having done less than half that.

New cars don't depreciate in value as much in Australia as they do in the UK

Keep in mind that you can't compare brand to brand! Ie. in the UK cars that are relatiely cheap second hand (MG/Rover, Peugeut, VW, BMW, etc) are generally really expensive in Australia, whereas your Japanese/Korean cars or locally made cars are much cheaper (Toyota, KIA, Hyundai, Ford, Holden).

Tyres wear out much quicker in Australia though - think its got to do with warmer conditions which = softer rubber = more wear and tear!

regards

A

Thanks a lot for you response. I think I now know why the cars have higher kilometers in Australia compared with those in the UK and that they don't necessarily mean they are "dead" as I thought.

Regards.
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
They are very high compared to the UK, but remember that the numbers are all in km rather than miles. Also the distances traveled here are typically much greater than in the UK.
I remember being told something about the drier climate or warmer climate meaning the engine lasts longer than in the UK?
Cars driven at nice cruisy speeds for longer distances for more time get a chance to get nice and hot, the oil gets around and there is less expansion and contraction. Mix in low Aussy limits,(engines less thrashed) longer distances, less stop/start, bigger engines....

Most damage occurs when the engine starts, when it is cold. An engine is at its best efficiency under load, an idling engine rattles like hell, I'd rather start and drive slowly away than wait for ages esp with modern oils.
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:56 am
Aussie lost in the UK

AndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyR1976 has a reputation beyond repute

One more thing that I thought of - second hand cars in Australia generally cost more to buy!

However, everything else after the initial purchase will be cheaper (insurance, servicing, PETROL etc etc)
Old Jun 26th 2007, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Allow generally for around 15000km travel per year on the pedometer of a second hand car here in Oz.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 3:35 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacque
Allow generally for around 15000km travel per year on the pedometer of a second hand car here in Oz.
Not altogether true. If you find a vehicle with that amount of km's on the odometer, it is usually the case that the vehicle is ex-company lease which has been used by sales reps. Sometimes you get a vehicle that has been owned by a private individual for a number of years and therefore has a high milage on it, but inn very ggod condition. For example, a few years ago I sold my old XE Falcon with 153 000km on the clock, but the engine was just as good as the day it was bought.

Surprisingly the best ones to go for are ex-Gov't vehicles, which have very low kms and in excellent condition. This is because the amount of travelling in the vehicles is strictly regulated and documented for auditing/lease purposes. they also change vehicles regularly, no more than 30-36 months for each vehicle lease, with an rough average odometer reading of about 35 000 kms.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:11 am
Aussie lost in the UK

I havfe to agree here that if you are looking for a second hand car with good mileage and in good condition then try to get an ex-government car!

As a former government employee in Australia who had company cars provided for the last 10 years I can recommend this option highly.

As an example, in my last job I had a new car provided every 6-9 months, they would trade my old one before it had depreciated in value too much (or at least thats what they said.

My cars (and many of my workmates cars) had less than 30,000 on the clock, less than 12 months old and had only toddled up and down the motorway a few times!

This is definately a great way to get a second hand (but nearly new) car!

Look for ex-government motor auctions!