Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Seasonal Rental Tip

Seasonal Rental Tip

Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:15 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seasonal Rental Tip

Seeing a few posts tonight about the cold weather (in WA anyway) reminded me of a story about some poor migrants here.

They found a rental and loved so took on the lease. Only drawback was when winter came, they found they had no gas bayonets for heaters. They had to buy electric heaters and their bills were enormous.

Dont be fooled, winter in many parts here is cold, especially as houses dont have central heating. So when looking at rentals do have a look and see if they have a gas bayonet, it'll make life much easier!
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 3:27 am
Jo.
Just Joined

Jo. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Seasonal Rental Tip

We've noticed that too, here on the Gold Coast- it's starting to get really cold at night and in the mornings. Didn't look out for that either, so will have to get some electric heaters, and it's not ideal with little kids.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

There hasn't been any gas in any of the places I've lived so there may not be a choice
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Seeing a few posts tonight about the cold weather (in WA anyway) reminded me of a story about some poor migrants here.

They found a rental and loved so took on the lease. Only drawback was when winter came, they found they had no gas bayonets for heaters. They had to buy electric heaters and their bills were enormous.

Dont be fooled, winter in many parts here is cold, especially as houses dont have central heating. So when looking at rentals do have a look and see if they have a gas bayonet, it'll make life much easier!
We live in a 'character' house in Perth which has 1 gas bayonet for the entire house! Last winter really got to me (I was all ready to go home!) as we were not prepared - we have bought a gas heater (which are not legal in some states) and a few oil filled radiators from Kmart. I have hot water bottles for myself and the kids. I know we are told that Oz has great weather but living in houses that are ill-prepared for the winter weather is not much fun! Does anyone have double glazing? Insulation?

When looking at rentals - check for aircon AND heating.

Galba
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:58 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if anywhere around here has mains gas and relatively few properties have tank so don't bother looking for gas bayonets here Oil fired heaters sell well though and are pretty cheap, especially when you buy them in bulk
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in dozens of houses and flats in the last 29 years and none of them have ever had a gas bayonet fitting - anywhere.

It's definitely not something that I'd be holding out for. You might be waiting a long time for a suitable rental if that's one of your pre-requisites.