Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Seasonal fruit & veg

Seasonal fruit & veg

Old Nov 17th 2004, 6:50 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Seasonal fruit & veg

In the UK you can get a lot of fruit and veg throughout most of the year because stuff is imported or varieties developed (eg like tasteless strawberries in December) extending the natural/original season.

Has it become like this in Oz or are the seasons fruit & veg more defined in Australia?

BTW I don't need to know the price of a lettuce just yet

thanks
Old Nov 17th 2004, 8:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seasonal fruit & veg

Originally Posted by walaj
In the UK you can get a lot of fruit and veg throughout most of the year because stuff is imported or varieties developed (eg like tasteless strawberries in December) extending the natural/original season.

Has it become like this in Oz or are the seasons fruit & veg more defined in Australia?

BTW I don't need to know the price of a lettuce just yet

thanks
Yes, there are certain things that you can now get year round (as you said, like strawberries). Despite that, there are certainly mainly seasonal fruits, right now its mango season & the smell when you walk into a fruit & vege shop is incredible .

Anything in season you can usually end up getting cheap especially towards the end of the seson as farmers try to get rid of their glut.

(btw, I'll tell you anyway, I paid 75 cents for a lettuce on Monday )
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Yes, there are certain things that you can now get year round (as you said, like strawberries). Despite that, there are certainly mainly seasonal fruits, right now its mango season & the smell when you walk into a fruit & vege shop is incredible .

Anything in season you can usually end up getting cheap especially towards the end of the seson as farmers try to get rid of their glut.

There was a post on here a few weeks back about lettuce rising from a few cents to a few dollars in a matter of days.
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:30 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

worzel, it happens quite often in summer, its so hot & humid that lettuce either bolts to seed or literally disintegrates into a slimey ball before the farmers can even get it to market. So prices go up skyhigh.

You either pay the price & eat lettuce - or you dont .
Old Nov 18th 2004, 12:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

worzel, it happens quite often in summer, its so hot & humid that lettuce either bolts to seed or literally disintegrates into a slimey ball before the farmers can even get it to market. So prices go up skyhigh.

You either pay the price & eat lettuce - or you dont .
I was out with an Aussie girl from work today, and talking about buying different foods here, and what sort of thing is more popular here, and suddenly she said - right out of the blue - "You know what annoys me? The price of lettuce these days!" I then had to explain why I was dying of laughter
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

kulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud ofkulu has much to be proud of

I said to my husband only yesterday that I hadn't read any lettuce threads for a while!

How difficult is it to grow your own?

Lou
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kulu

How difficult is it to grow your own?

Lou
Couldn't tell you.....I have the sort of gardening skills that involve silk flowers and plastic pot plants
Sure someone will know though...........
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the same as here, but quicker. Plant a row and they all bolt, or plant them in ones and twos over the period and the first ones grow a bit, then wait for all the others, then they all bolt together
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:40 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

oooh mangoes!!!! I haven't had a mango in 5 years.. coz the ones they sell here in the UK are rubbish.. no smell, not taste!! I want a Bowen Mango!!!

And the mango season will be over by the time we arrive next year..
Old Nov 18th 2004, 1:46 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Probably the same as here, but quicker. Plant a row and they all bolt, or plant them in ones and twos over the period and the first ones grow a bit, then wait for all the others, then they all bolt together
I went through a "Good Life" phase a few years ago and grew some veg. But even in England it still bolted and got turned to slime by the slugs. (Did you know that the average UK shop bought lettuce has been sprayed over 30 times - and my wife won't wash it).

But some good news. I did very well at growing beetroot. And seeing as Aussies seem to love the stuff maybe I will have to try again when I get out there. (For those of you that didn't know McDonalds do an Aussie burger which is a burger with beetroot on it)
Old Nov 18th 2004, 2:48 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by worzel
I went through a "Good Life" phase a few years ago and grew some veg. But even in England it still bolted and got turned to slime by the slugs. (Did you know that the average UK shop bought lettuce has been sprayed over 30 times - and my wife won't wash it).

But some good news. I did very well at growing beetroot. And seeing as Aussies seem to love the stuff maybe I will have to try again when I get out there. (For those of you that didn't know McDonalds do an Aussie burger which is a burger with beetroot on it)
Hubby and I grew almost all of veggies for the past 5 yrs... we have given up our allotments in preparation for moving early next year.. We had slugs the size of small dogs on our allotment... they were monsters and normally ate anything like a lettuce.... would demolish them very successfully...

It's gonna be different growing veggies for us in Oz.. totally different way of veggie production.....
Old Nov 18th 2004, 5:32 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I was out with an Aussie girl from work today, and talking about buying different foods here, and what sort of thing is more popular here, and suddenly she said - right out of the blue - "You know what annoys me? The price of lettuce these days!" I then had to explain why I was dying of laughter
I had forgotten we have some lettuces growing on the patio - don't want to eat them as they have start shooting in an upwards spiral, pretty to look at but probably taste awful. Thats something I am going to miss - my dad bring round stuff he grown from seed for me to grow or kill

So what different F&V foods did you come up with?
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:20 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by worzel
There was a post on here a few weeks back about lettuce rising from a few cents to a few dollars in a matter of days.
IOt works both ways Mangoes dropped from around $3 to $1 each a few days ago in our local shop.

Originally Posted by Brissiegirl
oooh mangoes!!!! I haven't had a mango in 5 years.. coz the ones they sell here in the UK are rubbish.. no smell, not taste!! I want a Bowen Mango!!!
Bowen Mango Trees for sale locally $12 each. Grow your own here

Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

they also have a lot of the same fruit and veg, they just give it a different name:

courgettes = zucchini
green/red pepper = capsicum
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
IOt works both ways Mangoes dropped from around $3 to $1 each a few days ago in our local shop.

Bowen Mango Trees for sale locally $12 each. Grow your own here
ABC Diamond, could you tell me saw the Bowen mango trees for sale? I'd love to put one or two in our orchard this weekend.

Cheers,
Mrs JTL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.