Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

SE England to Chapel Hill, QLD

SE England to Chapel Hill, QLD

Old May 20th 2005, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Boilerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SE England to Chapel Hill, QLD

Just curious to see if anyone from Sussex and the surrounding areas has pitched up in Chapel Hill in Brisbane?

We've just settled here/
Old May 20th 2005, 10:53 am
Banned

mutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nicemutant is just really nice
Default Re: SE England to Chapel Hill, QLD

Originally Posted by Boilerman
Just curious to see if anyone from Sussex and the surrounding areas has pitched up in Chapel Hill in Brisbane?

We've just settled here/
We are renting in Chapel Hill but are not from Sussex.
Old May 20th 2005, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mutant
We are renting in Chapel Hill but are not from Sussex.
We're renting to and not coming from Sussex is OK - I'm not biased - just curious!

We're local to Kenmore Plaza. Know any good places to eat (MacDonalds is definitely not high on my hit list!)?
Old May 20th 2005, 11:03 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

chippy & jayr are both over that way somewhere in the Kenmore/Chapel Hill/FigTree Pocket area.

Dunno where they are from, though I think, from memory, jayr may be a Geordie?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 1:54 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

We've just settled here/
Hi I come from Shoreham by sea West Sussex and moved to chapel hill end of June! Whereabouts in Sussex do you come from?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:08 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meelie
Hi I come from Shoreham by sea West Sussex and moved to chapel hill end of June! Whereabouts in Sussex do you come from?
I'm not in Chapel Hill, I'm in Aspley (north Brisbane) , but just wanted to say I'm an ex-Brightonian - and know Shroeham well, I learnt to fly there about 10 years ago
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:10 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm not in Chapel Hill, I'm in Aspley (north Brisbane) , but just wanted to say I'm an ex-Brightonian - and know Shroeham well, I learnt to fly there about 10 years ago
Shoreham is good for pubs, at one count I believe there were over 20 of them! Couldn't visit them all in a pub crawl eh! Not much else there though. Not sure exactly where Aspley is but have been studying the brisbane map directory so will have a look.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:28 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Shoreham is good for pubs, at one count I believe there were over 20 of them! Couldn't visit them all in a pub crawl eh! Not much else there though. Not sure exactly where Aspley is but have been studying the brisbane map directory so will have a look.
Been to most of the pubs there over the years - The Bridge was always a fave in summer, sitting by the river. Had friends that live on one of the houseboats there too. Good Indian restaurant in the High Street where we spent a lot of evenings - they understood my liking for VERY mild curry and did an excellent Kurma.
Aspley is on Gympie Rd, heading north towards the Sunshine Coast, just past Chermside Shopping Centre, BTW!
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:33 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

Been to most of the pubs there over the years - The Bridge was always a fave in summer, sitting by the river. Had friends that live on one of the houseboats there too. Good Indian restaurant in the High Street where we spent a lot of evenings - they understood my liking for VERY mild curry and did an excellent Kurma.
Aspley is on Gympie Rd, heading north towards the Sunshine Coast, just past Chermside Shopping Centre, BTW!
I've got an idea where you live now. We are renting at the mo here and will have to move in October if the owners sell. We've had prospective buyers coming in nearly every week! Had enough of that when we sold our bungalow in UK. I'm trying to get a job now and will be ringing Wesley Hospital and Greenslopes and Canossa tomorrow. My hubby works in Pinjarra Hillls and was sponsored (lucky bugger) Its ok round here but my daughter and I are lonely as we don't know a soul. How long have you been in Oz?
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:46 pm
Home and Happy

I've got an idea where you live now. We are renting at the mo here and will have to move in October if the owners sell. We've had prospective buyers coming in nearly every week! Had enough of that when we sold our bungalow in UK. I'm trying to get a job now and will be ringing Wesley Hospital and Greenslopes and Canossa tomorrow. My hubby works in Pinjarra Hillls and was sponsored (lucky bugger) Its ok round here but my daughter and I are lonely as we don't know a soul. How long have you been in Oz?
I've been here since Nov 2003, came out to get married to an Aussie. Takes time to make friends,, but uit gets easier. Is your daughter schoolage, as that seems to be how most people get to meet others. No kids myself, but have met a few peeople through work.
Or if you're into having the odd drink, theres a girls night out next weekend

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309257

I can't go this time, but they are all a friendly crowd, and a lot of them have kids.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 2:51 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

I've been here since Nov 2003, came out to get married to an Aussie. Takes time to make friends,, but uit gets easier. Is your daughter schoolage, as that seems to be how most people get to meet others. No kids myself, but have met a few peeople through work.
Or if you're into having the odd drink, theres a girls night out next weekend

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309257

I can't go this time, but they are all a friendly crowd, and a lot of them have kids.
Thanks. My daughter has just turned 16 and from what I hear of the costs of education at TAFE's I may have to turn her out on the streets to earn a living!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Hiya, Sorry I missed you yesterday... didn't log on!

We used to be in Haywards Heath but I worked in Brighton.

Lynn W and her husband Phil are also from Brighton and should be well on the way (I hope) to coming out in the New Year (although I haven't seen anything from them for some time).

I know that Pollyanna and Lynn W met before Pollyanna came out as Lynn suggested that we look her up when we got here. We've moved 4 times since our arrival at the end of April so haven't had a chance yet but it's nice to know she's still out there.

Where abouts in Chapel Hill are you? Our daughter is at Kenmore Park pre-school. The mums apparantly meet for 'coffee' fairly regularly. Must be good stuff coz they can't drive afterwards. Have you discovered this circuit yet?
Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:24 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

Lynn W and her husband Phil are also from Brighton and should be well on the way (I hope) to coming out in the New Year (although I haven't seen anything from them for some time).

I know that Pollyanna and Lynn W met before Pollyanna came out as Lynn suggested that we look her up when we got here. We've moved 4 times since our arrival at the end of April so haven't had a chance yet but it's nice to know she's still out there.

Where abouts in Chapel Hill are you? Our daughter is at Kenmore Park pre-school. The mums apparantly meet for 'coffee' fairly regularly. Must be good stuff coz they can't drive afterwards. Have you discovered this circuit yet?
We are currently renting in Kiandra Street (please dont stalk me hee hee) but will most likely be moving in October as the owner is trying to sell the property. So yet again we have people coming in to view. I thought I'd left all that behind when we sold our property in the uk. Whereabouts are you? I haven't met up with any brits yet as myself and my daughter came out here 30th June to join my hubby who came in March.My daughter is 16 so I can't get into the kenmore school they would suss her out straight away as being too old! She wants to do childcare and so we are hoping to get her into a TAFE. As for me, I am trying to get a job at any hospital that will have me! I am hoping to get a post at the Wesley in Auchenflower and emailed them so am awaiting a reply.
I dont know a soul here so its quite lonely for me and my daughter. I am starting to make contact with others via email so maybe will meet up with them one day. Its hard on my daughter too. Oh well give it time eh!
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:13 pm
Home and Happy

yep, most definitely still out here! Maybe we should try and have an ex-Sussex meet?! Bit busy this month, but perhaps we could look at something later in the year. No kids to worry about, but I have a husband who is willing to drive and not drink, so we could come down your way - hes an Aussie by the way, but has spent 6 weeks in Brighton!
I remember Lynn well; she put the very first Brighton meet together, back in the days when "meets" were very new.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 9:36 pm
Nicest member ( I think)

yep, most definitely still out here! Maybe we should try and have an ex-Sussex meet?! Bit busy this month, but perhaps we could look at something later in the year. No kids to worry about, but I have a husband who is willing to drive and not drink, so we could come down your way - hes an Aussie by the way, but has spent 6 weeks in Brighton!
I remember Lynn well; she put the very first Brighton meet together, back in the days when "meets" were very new.
That would be nice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.