Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

scuba gear costs

scuba gear costs

Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: scuba gear costs

Cheers for that...will definately check them out.

Originally Posted by annqldau
Yep the Buddy Commando... http://www.apvalves.com/commandotd.html

plus the Aussies actually do service the emergency air cylinder on that for a change.

Here's an idea of the UK price http://www.divingdirectshop.co.uk/pr...d9b675494dce5c

you can get cheaper versions without the auto air...

http://www.divingdirectshop.co.uk/in...d9b675494dce5c

Both my husband and I have these plus loads of our UK friends swear by Buddy.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:34 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Used to have a Cressi and the Buddy beats it hands down.
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:36 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Used to have a Cressi and the Buddy beats it hands down.
Yep I've got a Commando with air and a brand new scubapro that's a perfect fit [fat bastard size] Still prefer to squeeze into the smaller Commando. I really should sell it but it's just .......? I don't really know it just feels right
Old Feb 20th 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cresta57
Yep I've got a Commando with air and a brand new scubapro that's a perfect fit [fat bastard size] Still prefer to squeeze into the smaller Commando. I really should sell it but it's just .......? I don't really know it just feels right
Do you have the Commando with AutoAir? do you reckon best to go with that or the AP200?

Ta for your help. Am definately going to go for the Buddy Commando!
Old Feb 20th 2006, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by cresta57
You can get the Commando in 'fat bastard size' (your quote not mine) my problem was getting it in medium woman size... the small one fits me but I'm just the right size if I'd been any smaller couldn't have had it.

But compared to Cressi bouncey is excellent.

If this one wears out which will be years yet would stick with buddy even if I have to go to UK to get it. Only thing I preferred on the Cressi were the clips on the shoulder strap but that is a small sacrafice just make G unclip them for me... .
Old Feb 21st 2006, 6:50 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

We were up at Malaney and Montville on Saturday for a ride out did ring you to see if you wanted to join us for a drink buy nobody home. G's lost your mobile if he ever had it just rang the house. Very nice area liked it.

We do have some off shore stuff for March booked and G is looking at doing the Padi Dive master but I’m not bothered just want to do some relaxed diving. Last time we dived took us hour each way to get to flinders so was just fancying some relaxed diving where my butt didn't ache for days afterwards. Bagara was the one on travel programme at weekend and some one mentioned Shelly’s beach at Caloundra on a dive forum.

We always naively thought that Aus being a diving country would be cheaper for diving gear...boy were we wrong.
I am presuming rightly/wrongly that we cannot wear our standard dry suits when diving in Oz. If so can you recommend a wet suit and thickness size?
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:14 pm
Nothing is Free!

Location: Seacliff Park, Adelaide. Call in for a drink and a bbq if your passin'
Rachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of lightRachel & Paul is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
SCUBA gear is really expensive as it all has to be imported eg suunto vyper computer is au$600, they only cost £180 in the UK!
it will cost you atleast double what it costs in the UK.
Regards,
Paul
BSAC OWI
Originally Posted by steve`o
hi fellow scuba divers

can one of you guys let me know how scuba gear costs relate to uk costs
i`ve got to buy a complete new set for my daughter
whos just starting open water
as she will want to come out with dad once we get there

thanks

steve
padi DM
Old Feb 21st 2006, 7:52 pm
Oxygen Pig

TRIMIX will become famous soon enoughTRIMIX will become famous soon enough

The wife and I and are selling all our scuba stuff, as I really don't fancy scuba diving around Adelaide. pm me and I will compile a list for you and prices I want to sell at if you are interested. Wifes stuff has only been used on thirty dives. We have everything hardly used.

Neil
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chessp
I am presuming rightly/wrongly that we cannot wear our standard dry suits when diving in Oz. If so can you recommend a wet suit and thickness size?
You can wear your drysuit in Oz. Most the members of my dive club who brought their dive kit over from the UK always use drysuits. I found the drysuit a bit awkward for a shore dive but will definitely use it for boat dives. Here is Sydney water temperature is currently about 24C but it gets colder the deeper you go. In winter I gather it will get as low as 17C which is 2 piece 7mm (and a right pain to get on) territory.

I'm planning on using the same kit configuration here as I did in the UK. My kit is:

Oceanic Membrane Drysuit with Bowstone undersuit (as I think the winter Weezle Extreme+ UK undersuit will be a bit too warm)
Twin 7l 232 bar faber steel tanks
Buddy Explorer BCD with Autoair and buddy twinning bands
Apex ATX200 Regulator
Apex TX100 Regulator
Force Fins
Standard weight belt and lead
Mask with corrective lens
Spare Mask
Snorkel
DSMB & Reel
PCA Torch
PLB

For shallow shore dives I plan on using a single 7l and my 3mm wetsuit to minimise kit & weight requirements.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:01 am

We have dived off Brisbane a few times now and even thougth I'm a cold bod I find a 7mm Bib and Brace with a polartec long sleeved shirt fine, my hubby only wears a 3mm one piece suit and he is way warm enough.

When we were in Cairns I just used the 7mm with rash vest under and that was ok.

If you tend to be on hot side would say 3mm to 5mm would be ok for you Brisbane way.

We have brought our dry suits but haven't bothered getting them out the bags much less hassle to use the wet suits and less restricting... .
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 6:26 pm
Staying in BoxHill

chessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to allchessp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by TRIMIX
The wife and I and are selling all our scuba stuff, as I really don't fancy scuba diving around Adelaide. pm me and I will compile a list for you and prices I want to sell at if you are interested. Wifes stuff has only been used on thirty dives. We have everything hardly used.

Neil
If you can let me know as to what it is you are selling and likewise cost I would certainly contemplate it. I am not sure though as to how I am going to get it to Melbourne but I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Only 4 weeks now!!
Old Feb 27th 2006, 7:46 am
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Can't remeber the exact BS number I think it's BS5045 for dive cylinders. If you have Fabers with BS5045/1 they are ok - the Aussies will test and fill those. BS5045/7, which is the 'newer' standard, is not recognised here. To bring /7 cylinders you would need to also obtain the full engineering drawing for these, have a design engineer confirm they match the drawings, then apply for ADR recognition of the standard. If you bring different diameter cylinders, you need an ADR for each one ie a 15 ltr and 12 ltr dumpy are the same diameter so would both be same ADR. A 15 ltr and 12ltr standard would need 2 ADRs. This is all at your expense. Once you have your approval, you can take them to be tested and filled. In terms of shipping them, as long as they have no gas in you can bring them, don't strip the MDE valves out as you will rust the insides of the cylinder which will pretty much get it binned here or they'll charge you and arm and a leg to rumble it. Pickfords shipped ours no problem. We (Annqldau and me) both dive Buddy Commando TDs with the full auto air. I like the idea of full double redundancy although I know a few who just dive with the AP. There is a shop (Dive Dive Dive) on the Southside of Bris who are AP VAlves (Buddy) dealers and will service all the kit for you, but everyone else is right - bloody expensive here. We brought everything with us and we're pleased we did. If you want to order stuff online from the UK you can import it no problem provided it is under $1000. However, if you're doing it regularly, expect a call from Customs. Buy over there and ship it would definitely be my recommendation. As a 'larger framed chap' I found the XL Commando to be a good fit over a full neoprene drysuit, yet nips up enough for a 3mm wet. Any Cressi fans will find them a bit thin on the ground here - Perth has a dealer, not sure over on this side.