Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scuba diving training

Scuba diving training

Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of
Question Scuba diving training

Does anyone know how much it costs to learn to scuba dive in Oz (Adelaide). Decided this is my next big mission. Should I do it before I leave the UK, or wait til I get there??

Cheers guys...

Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:26 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scuba diving training

Originally Posted by Seabird
Does anyone know how much it costs to learn to scuba dive in Oz (Adelaide). Decided this is my next big mission. Should I do it before I leave the UK, or wait til I get there??

Cheers guys...

Chances are it'll be ab out the same, but personally i would do it over there - alot warmer and far better visability!!
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wargod
Chances are it'll be ab out the same, but personally i would do it over there - alot warmer and far better visability!!
Thanks for that

Probably more people scuba diving out there...
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:15 am
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that

Probably more people scuba diving out there...
Don't bother doing your scuba training in the UK, the viz is crap and the weather heinously cold. The upshot of training in cold water is that you have to wear a really heavy and thick wetsuit which alters your bouyancy and you have to wear much more weight so it makes diving a totally different experience and much more hard work.

I did my PADI open water (the first step in traing to be a diver) in Weymouth with a diving outfit in Bristol; the water was freezing cold and as dark as a witches tit. If you are lucky you find a good wreck to dive that isn't too silty, if you are unlucky you will see nothing.

I've been diving in Perth, Cancun Mexico and Malta as well as around the UK and it is a much more enjoyable experience to learn to dive when you can actually see things underwater. Australia has plenty of dive outfits and it is considerably cheaper to learn to dive and buy kit in Oz.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 12:20 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: Scuba diving training

Originally Posted by Steve&Clare

the water was freezing cold and as dark as a witches tit.
Nothing at all to do with diving but just want to say what a great phrase. I have seen a few good ones on this forum and it just reminded me of another a few months ago which went something like.....

'there about as much use as tits on a fish'!

If you have anymore like this I would like to read them. perhaps I should just start a thread up asking for them as I am sure it will give people a laugh eh!

Anyways, good luck with the diving Seabird.

R.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 12:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Someone asked a question on a diving website about the cost of Scuba equipment in the UK and Australia and the response was the cost is about the same.

As for where to learn it's really up to you. I learnt in the UK and have done quite a few dives in the UK and love it, seal dives in Lundy and the Farnes are amazing, the wrecks of the Clyde are wonderful and the post dive pub trips not to be missed. I've also dived in a number of warm places (Egypt, Maldives, GBR, Tobago) and the cold of Iceland and feel that the majority of dives have been great in their own way.

If you don't really plan on diving in the UK then I would probably say wait until you get to Australia and find a centre over there which will not only teach you to dive but provide you with backup for going out on your own (as a buddy pair) and if they have a club attached a load of new friends with the same hobby.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Carruss and Spotty dog. I think I'll save what money I have until I get there.. then go on diving Holidays off Frinton...

What part of Essex are you in, spottydog?.. I grew up in Romford and have just moved to Ipswich after being in Colchester for 4 years...

When do you hope to go?

Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

gavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nicegavstrad is just really nice

Cheers guys...

Hey Seabird

Australia a thousand times over!!! I learned in Airlie Beach 15 years ago and had the time of my life. Friends of mine learnt in England and didn't...

Diving is all about having fun & enjoying the experience. Dark, cold water isn't as fun as warm, clear and full of tropical fish!

As for prices try sending these guys and email http://www.adelaidescuba.com.au/, don’t know them, but searched on the web.

Good luck!

Gav
Old Apr 11th 2005, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

robert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud ofrobert cowan has much to be proud of

Cheers guys...

have a look a the bsac web site. with bsac you join a club for a fee and subscribe to bsac. all training is then free and use of equipment also is free
you will have to dive in a dry suit not a thick wet suit as was said .
(not provided by the club)but on experience someone will lend you one.
its a club environment all training is done on a volountary basis for the benefit of the club and you. diveing clubs usually have a good social side to them to.

pady is a comercial operation they have to make a profit.so YOU have to pay and pay for EVERY thing. :scared:

Last edited by robert cowan; Apr 11th 2005 at 10:58 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2005, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Rob and Gav

I'll look into both of those options. I'll be moving to Brighton, so hove would be handy. The social aspect of bsac sounds good, though. Just hope everybody there isn't 21 and really slim...

Claire

Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:35 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robert cowan
have a look a the bsac web site. with bsac you join a club for a fee and subscribe to bsac. all training is then free and use of equipment also is free
you will have to dive in a dry suit not a thick wet suit as was said .
(not provided by the club)but on experience someone will lend you one.
its a club environment all training is done on a volountary basis for the benefit of the club and you. diveing clubs usually have a good social side to them to.

pady is a comercial operation they have to make a profit.so YOU have to pay and pay for EVERY thing. :scared:
Very true first thing you learn in the padi course is what the acronym stands for : Put Another Dollar In
Bsac for me was a very long winded and slow process, meticulous in the teaching of laws and first aid procedures etc etc all a typically stiff upper lip British tradition of making a very easy subject boring and tedious. You have to hand it to padi the teaching methods make things easy and fun to learn.
PS Dry suit!!! I only ever had a 5mm 2 piece Namron Ice Diver suit. North Sea V Coral Sea no contest
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cresta57
Very true first thing you learn in the padi course is what the acronym stands for : Put Another Dollar In
Bsac for me was a very long winded and slow process, meticulous in the teaching of laws and first aid procedures etc etc all a typically stiff upper lip British tradition of making a very easy subject boring and tedious. You have to hand it to padi the teaching methods make things easy and fun to learn.
PS Dry suit!!! I only ever had a 5mm 2 piece Namron Ice Diver suit. North Sea V Coral Sea no contest
Thanks for the tip...

Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:13 am
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Carruss
Nothing at all to do with diving but just want to say what a great phrase. I have seen a few good ones on this forum and it just reminded me of another a few months ago which went something like.....

'there about as much use as tits on a fish'!

If you have anymore like this I would like to read them. perhaps I should just start a thread up asking for them as I am sure it will give people a laugh eh!
"I`m as dry as a Nun`s Nasty!" (ie bloody thirsty). Aussie saying

http://www.sunburntcountry.au.com/sayings/

As for diving, if you have ever had asthma (even as a kid), then Aus is very strict on making you go for a full-on medical before you can consider Padi. iirc the UK is more lenient.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

What part of Essex are you in, spottydog?.. I grew up in Romford and have just moved to Ipswich after being in Colchester for 4 years...

When do you hope to go?

I'm in Loughton so only just Essex, were hoping to go to Sydney in the next few months once we've sold the house. One of the first things were going to do when we get there is join a dive club as weve made so many close friends through our dive club in the UK (Docklands Dive Club)

We were getting a bit fed up with the house sale and thinking about renting it out for a year as no-one was looking but this week the number of viewers has gotten a bit silly (1 offer rejected another 3 viewings already booked and we've been on the market for six months).
Old Apr 12th 2005, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spottydog
I'm in Loughton so only just Essex, were hoping to go to Sydney in the next few months once we've sold the house. One of the first things were going to do when we get there is join a dive club as weve made so many close friends through our dive club in the UK (Docklands Dive Club)

We were getting a bit fed up with the house sale and thinking about renting it out for a year as no-one was looking but this week the number of viewers has gotten a bit silly (1 offer rejected another 3 viewings already booked and we've been on the market for six months).
Hi Spottydog

Loughton's not too far away. Renting out your house at least allows you to have a base in the UK if you need it. Unfortunately I am in rented here, so Adelaide will offer the chance to get a mortgage on a single income. More hope of flying in Essex...

Wish you luck with the sale and the move.