Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scotland to Brisbane!?

Scotland to Brisbane!?

Old Jul 23rd 2013, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland to Brisbane!?

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I guess some of us are just better at managing our meagre funds...
You mean you can buy clothes and get your hair done without earning $170k?
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 11:35 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You mean you can buy clothes and get your hair done without earning $170k?
::koffs embarrassedly:: I'm lucky that Himself probably earns about that but I don't work and although we never have any money left at the end of the month, we don't go without anything we want.
Oh and we support three flaming expensive older teens/young twentysomethings who don't earn either.

I know it's horses for courses - we choose to live out in the sticks because I don't like city living so our mortgage will be less than most even though we have (I think) a beautiful house on a large plot... but even when we were supporting the mortgages on two houses we still had disposable income (not much, obviously, and there wasn't a great deal of saving going on). I guess you have to decide where your priorities lie and if Bonnie Scotland finds it hard to manage on 170k then he either has to do something about it or learn to compromise somewhere.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 12:59 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
To be honest I would challenge you on that. The glory days of the huge salaries are by and large a thing of the past. The salaries are generally good but not earth shattering anymore. Yes the tax free is what makes the major difference but we will live somewhere on the right side of reasonable paid for by the company, will fly to Africa and Europe without any dramas for holidays, fly elderley relatives over to escape the British winter and let them enjoy it every year and lets not forget a carton of smokes for 12 quid or so. You cant beat a good quality ME hotel. Probably best in the World.
Of course if you want to live in Saudi or especially remoter areas of Saudi then you can earn the big bucks 240 - 300K USD tax free but there is no lifestyle there.
I know that the big expat salaries are now largely a thing of the past. But my point still remains (and it is backed up by both of your posts ) that cash in the bank at the end of the month, is the primary consideration of expats living in ME.

Whether you're a well paid engineer from America, a truck driver from Yorkshire, a maid from the phillipines or a labourer from India, the key driver is $$.

Just my opinion, no offence meant at all
Old Jul 24th 2013, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

I earn more than Bonnie in Brisbane and live on the Gold Coast, our rent is 575 a week for a 4 bed house over looking coomera river. Have the trappings of a nice job and salary but I kind of agree with Bonnie in that, house prices are ridiculous over here. We are looking at moving in to a new rental which is 675 a week, 4 beds and a pool on the gold coast. I prefer to live further down the coast and if your in loganholme, I dont think I would be looking at Brisbane, you could rent where I do in Coomera Waters for between 450 and 550 a week for an average house or be on the water with your own pontoon for 750 a week. We only need one car but they are mega expensive too. Dont get me wrong, I have just done my 4 years and currently applying for citizenship and I will not be going back ever, but you can ask anyone, over the past 10 years, Australia has become very expensive.

But no matter what any of us say, its your decision Will, it is difficult, missing family and friends for uncertainty, but just dont regret it in 5 years time when the UK has imploded.
Old Jul 24th 2013, 2:31 am
Just Joined

Bonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really niceBonnie Scotland is just really nice

I have compromised...lots!
I am sick of bloody compromising.
I'm board of being skint
I'm board of watching crap TV
I sick of terrible service
I'm going to punch the next person who beeps there car at me
I'm fed up paying $6 a pint
I'm going to ram a stick through the front wheel of the next cyclist who shouts at me to get out of the road.
I'm going to set fire to the next abo who asks me for money
I'm going to break the knees of the next runner who hurumphs at me walking and not diving out of his way
I'm going to twat the next traffic warden I see
I'm going to get skin cancer
I'm going to squish spiders
I'm going to Kill bull frogs with my 6 iron
I will destroy the avocado crop
I've had enough of many many things

But I'll probarbly still be here next year...its quite good really
Old Jul 24th 2013, 3:00 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnie Scotland
I'm fed up paying $6 a pint
I'd love to pay $6 a pint!
Old Jul 24th 2013, 3:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I'm hearing you
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm hearing you
And i'm hearing you too he must be supping home brew !
Old Jul 24th 2013, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Managed to pay $13.50 for a pint cider a couple weeks ago down your way