Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scotland or Austraila?

Scotland or Austraila?

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of
Default Re: Scotland or Austraila?

Yes on the Melvourne point it is surprisingly different than Sydney my own experience of Melbourne was a weekend there where i just took the tram back and forth between fitzroy and St Kilda. But Fitzroy reminded me of Manchester or Glasgow where the people were a little kooky, a lot of cafes and live music going on and a bit of a dump something resembling New York's East Village.

In Sydney the coolest thing to do seemed to be going to the top of one of these towers like Australia Square or The Shangri La and having cocktails amongst some suited up tw@ts with tarts on their arms. Man it is all so naff. Someone I know who had lived in Oz for a number of years told me that if Oz was the States Melbourne would be New York and Sydney would be LA. I have to add Sydney's live music scene would be on a par with Bognor Regis or somewhere like that. Woeful.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:45 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
Yes on the Melvourne point it is surprisingly different than Sydney my own experience of Melbourne was a weekend there where i just took the tram back and forth between fitzroy and St Kilda. But Fitzroy reminded me of Manchester or Glasgow where the people were a little kooky, a lot of cafes and live music going on and a bit of a dump something resembling New York's East Village.

In Sydney the coolest thing to do seemed to be going to the top of one of these towers like Australia Square or The Shangri La and having cocktails amongst some suited up tw@ts with tarts on their arms. Man it is all so naff. Someone I know who had lived in Oz for a number of years told me that if Oz was the States Melbourne would be New York and Sydney would be LA. I have to add Sydney's live music scene would be on a par with Bognor Regis or somewhere like that. Woeful.
mancs and weegies, kooky people who live in dumps? this is gold!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:53 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
Same for my husband. All these sweeping generalisations get my goat beyond belief. My husband who is in oil and gas earns more than he did in London and he doesn't have a 3 hour daily commute thrown into the bargain. People really need to realise that their experience of Australia doesn't mean everyone else will have the same one.
agreed. my wife and I have seen a 50% increase in our joint incomes NOT including the many things we didn't get back home, leave loading, super etc.
if you are good enough you will get the bucks imo.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:31 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noocat
Unfortunately, I suspect many Brits come to Australia seeking the sun 'n surf lifestyle and end up in a soulless, cultureless place because EVERYTHING in that place revolves around the beach.
Even worse....you could end up somewhere soulless & cultureless and still be an hour away from a decent beach!

I couldn't agree more with your entire post. I love Melbourne - and by the end of this month I'll be living there too!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

brandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura about

Well my Missus is a accountant ,I dont have a trade so just wonder what kind of standard of living we would have!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
When I got back had to watch about 20 Newsnight Reviews and Ascent of Money by Niall Ferguson to get my culture levels back up to standard.
Agree with all you say above. Oz TV has no idea of world issues nor how to present them.

I am reading Nialls book on the Ascent of Money as I did not catch the TV shows........I have learnt more history in the first few chapters than in the last 10 years!.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

Dazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud ofDazster has much to be proud of

Ok - we get the point - Oz TV is crap.

And??

Didn't you realise the TV was crap BEFORE you got here?! Who travels half way around the globe to sit and watch the telly?

Word of advice for anyone thinking of emigrating to Australia; if you're coming for good telly - jist gonnae no'! If on the other hand you want more of an outdoor lifestyle, lower crime rates, less paranoia about paedophiles, reliable weather, less Burberry clothing, etc then it's an ideal place. No it's not perfect, but it works for us.

Right - I'm off to watch something really sh1t!
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 12:40 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dazster
If on the other hand you want more of an outdoor lifestyle, lower crime rates, less paranoia about paedophiles, reliable weather, less Burberry clothing, etc then it's an ideal place. No it's not perfect, but it works for us.
While the perception is that Australia has lower crime than the UK I think it should be pointed out that it is just that, perception. The reality is that you are more likely to be murdered, raped, burgled and have your car nicked in Australia than you are in the UK.

http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/cri-crime
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
While the perception is that Australia has lower crime than the UK I think it should be pointed out that it is just that, perception. The reality is that you are more likely to be murdered, raped, burgled and have your car nicked in Australia than you are in the UK.

http://www.nationmaster.com/cat/cri-crime
Good point, Australia does have its fair share of crimes.

Apparently, it is getting harder to get into Australia, these days ... reason you may wonder?... there are simply not enough people with a criminal record these days!. ho ho, I love that one! (told by an Australian no less).

Gotta laugh

Cheers
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dazster
Ok - we get the point - Oz TV is crap.

And??

Didn't you realise the TV was crap BEFORE you got here?! Who travels half way around the globe to sit and watch the telly?

Word of advice for anyone thinking of emigrating to Australia; if you're coming for good telly - jist gonnae no'! If on the other hand you want more of an outdoor lifestyle, lower crime rates, less paranoia about paedophiles, reliable weather, less Burberry clothing, etc then it's an ideal place. No it's not perfect, but it works for us.

Right - I'm off to watch something really sh1t!
Yes, suppose, good point about the TV. Got to say though, I do quite like SBS and their news is quite good.

I think personally it is great to keep informed of world events!

Good point too about the lack of burberry!. Hoorah!. I remember when it was fashionable for Highland grannies to wear that out to High Tea in Pitlochry!... what happened?.

I did see a couple of 'Imports Chavs / Neds' at Mindari Keys in Perth a couple of months back hanging around the big mall near there - they looked as if they were just beemed over and didn't know what to think. They were wearing the burberry caps and black tracki suits walking like the Glagagher brothers (Manchester Swagger) and doin' in large or something???? (yo yo yo crap!), and the bogans did not know what way to look! ho hum!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

dragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nice

Hi Brandane,

Did I miss you answering where you are from. With a name like Brandane you aren't on the West coast of Scotland are you?

Marion
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

brandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura about

Probably the same place as you sunny Rothesay,thanks
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brandane
Probably the same place as you sunny Rothesay,thanks
Hi, we are from Glasgow been here 7 months and we love it. But we love Scotland too but although we work I still feel as though I am on holiday every day. But I do miss the Scottish sense of humour at time Ozzies just dont seem to get it! We don't earn as much money as at home yet but I am sure we will and we have found the cost of living i.e in general bills are half the price than at home. We are in our forties and at this time I would much prefer to be older here than back home. If you meet the criteria and have the money to go, then try it. Good Luck
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

dragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nicedragon_lady_bute is just really nice

Hi Jim.

Thought that!

Marion
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Thanks DestinationSydney,

We still can't decide between NZ and OZ but will have a chat with people at the expo in Birmingham and take it from there.

Glad your move worked out for you.

Marion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.