Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scotland or Austraila?

Scotland or Austraila?

Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

brandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura about
Default Scotland or Austraila?

Hi,looking for advice on starting a new life in Austraila,I am 49 no trade partner Accountant no children only 2 dogs! love the sun,beaches etc dont like cold,ice ,1 week summers! has anyone got any advice> thanks
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all
Default Re: Scotland or Austraila?

If your partner's under 45, then skilled migration is an option. Have a look at www.immi.gov.au
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

brandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura aboutbrandane has a spectacular aura about

thanks,is credit crunch effecting there yet,thanks
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to allThunderduck is a name known to all

If I may ask, which part of Scotland are you in Brandane?
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brandane
I'm still in Scotland just now. It's a global economic crisis though, so would imagine that yes, there will be effects felt in Australia too.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 3:43 am
ABCDiamond

It is effecting Australia, but just not yet sure how much.

Some "experts" say the effects will be less than most other countries.
Some say we will get a recession, others say we may just avoid it.

Only time will tell for sure.

Old Dec 30th 2008, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

U cant get decent Haggis in Aus ,so bear that in mind if u want to come over here
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of lightshabee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stewmac
U cant get decent Haggis in Aus ,so bear that in mind if u want to come over here
Oh yes you can, at Syds Pies in the Gold Coast, My Oh assures me it is beautiful.
x
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

stewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to allstewmac is a name known to all

Maybe in QLD ,in Melbourne Robs butchers haggis is average at best
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:28 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shabee
Oh yes you can, at Syds Pies in the Gold Coast, My Oh assures me it is beautiful.
x
syds
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi,looking for advice on starting a new life in Austraila,I am 49 no trade partner Accountant no children only 2 dogs! love the sun,beaches etc dont like cold,ice ,1 week summers! has anyone got any advice> thanks
Hi

This post is not a negative one, but a realistic one. Hope it helps.

Firstly I would map out what you wish from the future in Scotland (where I cam from too by the way quite a long while back) and what you would wish from Australia; concept mapping is fantastic. Like the other post suggested, you really need to look at the DIMIA website for all your and your partners relevant options.

Other periphery things to think about I suppose are: Australia beyond the nice weather, beaches etc etc (which do become a bit boring by the way after a while) include thinking about the fact that wages are less in Australia, while living costs I personally think (bar London) are on par with the UK (Including Edinburgh). Rent is going up and up in Australia and 2009 will be no exception. At 1% vacancy rate in Australian cities, esp Perth being incredibly difficult, I would look at a more rural or country area where rent is much cheaper and there will be more demand for skills. I personally do not envy the task of anyone trying to set-up from raw in an Australian city now, apart from if your employer is doing it for you (and you would be lucky for that in this current state).

Think about who you will miss, and the strategies you will use to combat this in Australia (and it will occur a few months in more often than not - part of the course I think).

If you are going to Australia to escape issues in Scotland, it will not work - they will simply be in your 'overhead' luggage on the plane and taken out when you arrive in Australia.

Having said all this Australia is a wonderful country for the landscapes, people, space etc etc, but I must say the workplaces and attitudes in some of the places I have worked in while in Australia are twenty years behind the UK - in terms of progression, Australians hate suggestions that are not Australian mostly (there are exceptions though), esp in Perth, where there seems to be a most hindering attitude to progression and change for no apparent reason. Perthites cannot take constructive suggestions unless they involve closing something by 5.30pm!. If you are somewhere open-minded and progressive with things actually happening, avoid Perth - it is also extremely expensive there now to do anything - i.e. $4 for a flat white (white coffee) compared to $2.50 in central Sydney for example. Rents are more in Perth now than Sydney. I would not mind so much if there was actually something more to do in Perth than what there is - very little in essence.

Good luck with what you decide, but just take time to think through and questions 'why' you wish to go in the first instance. Giving a timeline of a year is always a good one for a new place I think, then see what you feel like after that.

Chookas!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Thank you every one for taking time to reply! jim
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:38 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shabee
x
Aye it is....I got one for my Burns supper this year. Syd is braw too!

Just to make you jealous I had a haggis supper from a chipper in Aberdeen at the weekend....it was 'affa fine'!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Keep an open mind and have a google around, look around and make an informed decision. You are lucky you have no children to worry about.

I lead the same sort of life I would lead wherever I live as I am an individual and what I like doing is well provided for everywhere. The weather is better here and I love the freedom in the countryside.

Good luck with what you decide. If you want better weather take a punt, I would live on the east coast though as its close to all that is going on in Aus.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Gordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really niceGordo Marshall is just really nice

Hi again

Agree with the suggestion of Petals that there is more going on in the east coast and much, much closer between places, and pretty cheap to fly between them.

From Perth it's a heck of a distance, a few thousand KM's!. It's exi to fly out of Perth to anywhere really.

I am not a Perth knocker by the way, it's simply that it is remote from anywhere and there if far more variety and things to do in the east, and the people seem alot more open to progression. If you like oldy worlde things, then Victoria is the go and the house prices etc are still ok as you are not in Melbourne. There are lots of Scots in country Victoria too. The scenery is lovely there and the climate not harsh with heat as in some places. Not really a beachy state though.

You might want to read my past blogs on this site. about road trips in Australia, as I used to live in Alice Springs. That will give you more of an idea of the real Australia perhaps?

Happy Hogmany and all that, and don't pay too much attention about these UK TV programs presented by non-Australians largely (which always amazes me!) which just show a mono-perspective of Australia (i.e. houses, beaches etc etc etc)

Chookas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.