Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scotland 6 Australia 3

Scotland 6 Australia 3

Old Feb 14th 2003, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

susmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scotland 6 Australia 3

We watched the young Australian and Scottish boxing champions last night at Greenbank RSL. Ringside seats 25$.
The scores a bit misleading it should have been 8 - 1 but all the close calls went to the home side.
Old Feb 14th 2003, 12:45 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland 6 Australia 3

Originally posted by susmac
We watched the young Australian and Scottish boxing champions last night at Greenbank RSL. Ringside seats 25$.
The scores a bit misleading it should have been 8 - 1 but all the close calls went to the home side.
The Scots are tough people and boxing is a good for them let off steam , could the Pro Aussie Sport people please name any Australian born World Boxing Champions , that could take some doing.

Old Feb 14th 2003, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

colind is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard
The Scots are tough people and boxing is a good for them let off steam , could the Pro Aussie Sport people please name any Australian born World Boxing Champions , that could take some doing.
There appears to be only one, as far as I can see:

Jimmy Carruthers (boxing) (born 1929 in Sydney)
Jimmy Carruthers won the World bantamweight championship in 1952 by knocking out Vic Toweel of South Africa after 139 seconds of the first round during which he threw an estimated 147 punches.
He successfully defended the title four times in 1953 & 1954.
Jimmy Carruthers retired undefeated in 1954 but was defeated attempting a comeback in 1961.

Not that I'm a pro-Aussie sport person, you understand...can't understand people who switch allegiance just because they move to a different country.
Old Feb 14th 2003, 12:58 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by colin
There appears to be only one, as far as I can see:

Jimmy Carruthers (boxing) (born 1929 in Sydney)
Jimmy Carruthers won the World bantamweight championship in 1952 by knocking out Vic Toweel of South Africa after 139 seconds of the first round during which he threw an estimated 147 punches.
He successfully defended the title four times in 1953 & 1954.
Jimmy Carruthers retired undefeated in 1954 but was defeated attempting a comeback in 1961.

Not that I'm a pro-Aussie sport person, you understand...can't understand people who switch allegiance just because they move to a different country.

Well seems that boxing is not their game then one in a few hunderd years , at yet another sport the Brits gave the world , seems only pub brawls are their game?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Feb 14th 2003 at 5:17 am.
Old Feb 14th 2003, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

kevmitch is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by susmac

No surprise there - but why pay? After all its just the same as a Saturday night in Glasgow - locals 7, foreigners 0!
Old Feb 15th 2003, 9:05 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pommie bastard

When I was a nipper the new year circus at the kelvin hall in glasgow used to have two kangaroos boxing and they were introduced as aussie world boxing champs.However,they put one in a celtic strip(cruelty to an animal if I ever seen it)and one in a rangers strip ,both with boxing gloves and let them belt the shit out of each other.I do believe they were better than joe bugner,certainly more inteligent
Old Feb 16th 2003, 10:50 pm
Banned

Originally posted by jockney
When I was a nipper the new year circus at the kelvin hall in glasgow used to have two kangaroos boxing and they were introduced as aussie world boxing champs.However,they put one in a celtic strip(cruelty to an animal if I ever seen it)and one in a rangers strip ,both with boxing gloves and let them belt the shit out of each other.I do believe they were better than joe bugner,certainly more inteligent
Lay off Aussie Joe hes an icon here does great TV adverts , and well more inteligent than your average Aussie .