Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scorpions in WA?

Scorpions in WA?

Old Apr 12th 2009, 1:24 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scorpions in WA?

Do we get them here? Just wondered because I've just despatched something that looks like a cross between a spider and a scorpion. Light brown in colour, about 20mm long. Not sure if it was a baby or not because it had the body features of a scorpion but was very spindly and didnt have a hard body shell. Sorry no pics of it because I squashed it under my boot.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 1:31 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Scorpions in WA?

Originally Posted by perksy
Do we get them here? Just wondered because I've just despatched something that looks like a cross between a spider and a scorpion. Light brown in colour, about 20mm long. Not sure if it was a baby or not because it had the body features of a scorpion but was very spindly and didnt have a hard body shell. Sorry no pics of it because I squashed it under my boot.
Found one crawling on the carpet last week,about the same size dont know how it got into the house
Old Apr 12th 2009, 1:42 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

We have a pic!! The mrs took one on her phone before she shouted me to deal with it, its not very good quality though because in her words ' I was shaking like a shitting dog' when she took it.

Think I'm going to barrier spray the outside of the house today
Attached Thumbnails Scorpions in WA?-12042009084.jpg  
Old Apr 12th 2009, 2:07 am
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

damn,thought theyd announced a tour.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 2:09 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by this charming man
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:49 am
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a pic!! The mrs took one on her phone before she shouted me to deal with it, its not very good quality though because in her words ' I was shaking like a shitting dog' when she took it.

Think I'm going to barrier spray the outside of the house today
heard of thease in Europe i dont think they grow any bigger than this,They are bigger one's in the bush and in the interior.Still a shock seeing one.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:55 am
Cad and bounder

Originally Posted by Catch
heard of thease in Europe i dont think they grow any bigger than this,They are bigger one's in the bush and in the interior.Still a shock seeing one.
Yep defo a shock seeing them, only just got used to the spiders here never mind these things aswell
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we get scorpions here. Not seen one yet, but the old man has.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

We had one living in the bath outlet for a few days before we released it back into the garden. It would appear for a few hours then scuttled off back down the plugholefor a while. It was actually quite cute. Especially seeing as we knew it couldn't climb the sides of the bath
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:56 am
ABCDiamond

Scorpions are mostly nocturnal but they can be active during the day, especially during prolonged wet weather.

There are 29 species of Scorpion in Australia.

First aid for a sting is to apply a cold pack and to seek medical aid if pain persists.

Pain?
Fortunately, Australian scorpions aren't as poisonous as those in other countries. A sting might hurt for a few hours. The victim might need some treatment for pain but there should be no long lasting effects.

Scorpions are good for pest control in the garden, so if you do get one in the house, put it back in the garden, if you can, rather than killing it.

There are over 1500 species of scorpion (world-wide) but only 25 can kill people.

Old Apr 12th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Scorpions are good for pest control in the garden, so if you do get one in the house, put it back in the garden, if you can, rather than killing it.

The same applies to a majority of spiders!!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 7:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sj oldfield

The same applies to a majority of spiders!!
Personally I say kill them all... and the ants too... they bite me, I stand in them

Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

We live in the hilly part of Perth and found two small scorpions running around indoors - slightly worried as we have two toddlers running around the house.
I was sh*t scared when I pulled out, from the bottom of the pool, their great grand daddy who was a good 60mm in size and thankfully dead!!
Old Apr 12th 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by this charming man
They have......of Perksy's house
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:07 pm
Cad and bounder

Bloody critters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.