Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scorpion in new Rental - Melbourne

Scorpion in new Rental - Melbourne

Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold
Default Scorpion in new Rental - Melbourne

Hi guys,

came home yesterday went straight down the hall to say hi to the kids in their bedrooms only to be confronted by a brown scorpion which turned lifted its tail and ran at me. Scorpions are not often mentioned on this or other sites and I wondered how common they are. Our rental is on a 2 acre block and the elderly couple who used to live here mothballed a couple of the bedrooms so this scorpion may have been in hiding for a while. Must say it was very aggressive and has shaken me up a little. Can I expect to see more, was anticipating spiders and of course a huntsman or two but this scorpion was definitely not anticipated.

Any info welcomed.

Cheryl
Old Jun 1st 2008, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

melbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud ofmelbournegirl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Scorpion in new Rental - Melbourne

Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Hi guys,

came home yesterday went straight down the hall to say hi to the kids in their bedrooms only to be confronted by a brown scorpion which turned lifted its tail and ran at me. Scorpions are not often mentioned on this or other sites and I wondered how common they are. Our rental is on a 2 acre block and the elderly couple who used to live here mothballed a couple of the bedrooms so this scorpion may have been in hiding for a while. Must say it was very aggressive and has shaken me up a little. Can I expect to see more, was anticipating spiders and of course a huntsman or two but this scorpion was definitely not anticipated.

Any info welcomed.

Cheryl
Eeek!

I have never seen a scorpion in Australia and I have lived here all my life. In fact I just finished telling my daugther that there aren't scorpions in Australia as she got scared reading about one in a book. Alas I think I am wrong as I have just found this though they seem to be more common up north.

Scorpions are common in gardens and forests throughout eastern Australia and are found under logs, rocks and in shallow burrows in earth banks. They are nocturnal - which is why we rarely see them - but they can be disturbed during the day, especially during the prolonged wet weather. There are also species that live in the desert and others that inhabit tropical rainforests.