British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Scooters / motobikes on Sydney roads (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/scooters-motobikes-sydney-roads-377333/)

Swaffy Jun 4th 2006 1:42 am

Scooters / motobikes on Sydney roads

Hi

My husband is thinking of getting a scooter (had one in London) to get to work on from the Northern beaches to Jones bay wharf. Does anyone have any experience of riding bikes around Sydney. Is it dangerous? I didn't mind in London but I'm more concerned here as there aren't many on the roads and I think because of that the drivers aren't used to them, don't see them etc....What do you guys think? We have to 2 children to think of. I have also told him that he has to sort out life insurance first :scared:

Not that I'm being a pessimist or anything!

Wol Jun 4th 2006 1:46 am

Re: Scooters / motobikes on Sydney roads

There are bike riders all over, especially at the weekends and round th hairpins in the mountains.

They drive like idiots and you often see one lying by the side of the road being attended to by mates or paramedics. I have no sympathy whatsoever: do yourself a favour and take up tiddlywinks.

jjonboy Jun 4th 2006 2:05 am

Originally Posted by Wol
There are bike riders all over, especially at the weekends and round th hairpins in the mountains.

They drive like idiots and you often see one lying by the side of the road being attended to by mates or paramedics. I have no sympathy whatsoever: do yourself a favour and take up tiddlywinks.

nothing like stereotypes is there, talk about tarring everyone with same brush...

i have ridden a bike in syd for 2 years now, and find it no better or worse than uk. general standard of driving for all vehicle types is lower i find...

not keen on scooters myself, but each to your own....

Wol Jun 4th 2006 2:07 am

>>general standard of driving for all vehicle types is lower i find...<<

Sounds like tarring everyone to me <g>.

You are, however, right!

Swaffy Jun 4th 2006 2:14 am

Thank you, this is what I am hoping to read.

Originally Posted by jjonboy
nothing like stereotypes is there, talk about tarring everyone with same brush...

i have ridden a bike in syd for 2 years now, and find it no better or worse than uk. general standard of driving for all vehicle types is lower i find...

not keen on scooters myself, but each to your own....

Budgie Jun 4th 2006 3:33 am

Originally Posted by Swaffy
Hi

My husband is thinking of getting a scooter (had one in London) to get to work on from the Northern beaches to Jones bay wharf. Does anyone have any experience of riding bikes around Sydney. Is it dangerous? I didn't mind in London but I'm more concerned here as there aren't many on the roads and I think because of that the drivers aren't used to them, don't see them etc....What do you guys think? We have to 2 children to think of. I have also told him that he has to sort out life insurance first :scared:

Not that I'm being a pessimist or anything!

They quote over here that you are 27 times more likely to die on a bike than in a car accident, but I'm sure that's probably the same as the UK anyway :)

The big, big thing to watch out for is that indicators seem to be optional on Australian cars. No-one indicates when they pull away from a parking position at the side of the road, so you really need to be aware of that. Indicators are often not used on turns or lane changing, either. It's much worse here for bad indicating than the UK.

Also, some of the Sydney roads have weird obstacles. Metal strips (wet and slippery when it rains) across the road and these low metal cylinders in the middle of some roads (God knows what they are supposed to be for, but thankfully they are quite rare!).

Swaffy Jun 4th 2006 4:05 am

ah yes but at least they don't have man hole covers here!!

Originally Posted by Budgie
They quote over here that you are 27 times more likely to die on a bike than in a car accident, but I'm sure that's probably the same as the UK anyway :)

The big, big thing to watch out for is that indicators seem to be optional on Australian cars. No-one indicates when they pull away from a parking position at the side of the road, so you really need to be aware of that. Indicators are often not used on turns or lane changing, either. It's much worse here for bad indicating than the UK.

Also, some of the Sydney roads have weird obstacles. Metal strips (wet and slippery when it rains) across the road and these low metal cylinders in the middle of some roads (God knows what they are supposed to be for, but thankfully they are quite rare!).