Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Scooter in Sydney

Scooter in Sydney

Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:24 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Scooter in Sydney

No, I am not talking about the red headed Muppet character!

I am thinking of getting a scooter to go to work, as the public transport from my place is a bit fiddly.

I was wondering if anyone can shed any light on what qualifications I need (and maybe how much they cost) to ride a crappy 50cc thing.

I have looked at the RTA site and not found it particularly enlightning (maybe I am a bit thick?), but get the impression I cannot just buy and ride a scooter on a car license as you could in the UK.

I have never ridden one, with the exception of a scary ride on a mates a few years back , so would be starting from scratch.

Any help from bikey people would be great.

Cheers

Steve

ps, I will not be doing THAT before getting on it!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:40 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Scooter in Sydney

Some states allow car licence holders to ride 50cc scooters, but NSW requires the rider to hold either a scooter or motorcycle licence.
http://www.scooterworld.com.au/learn...-a-scooter.htm

Mopeds
Riders of all mopeds must obey the same traffic regulations as riders of motorcycles. They have to hold a rider’s licence and must wear an approved helmet.

Motor assisted pedal cycle
A cycle that is essentially a pedal cycle with a small auxiliary motor attached need only be registered if the motor output is more than 200 watts. If power output is such that it is required to be registered, it will be treated as a moped or a small motorcycle.

If a motor-assisted pedal cycle is exempt from the need to be registered, the rider does not have to hold a licence. However, it is compulsory for riders to wear a suitable safety helmet and obey the same traffic laws as motorcyclists.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../vsi/vsi27.pdf

Old Feb 28th 2006, 4:48 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some states allow car licence holders to ride 50cc scooters, but NSW requires the rider to hold either a scooter or motorcycle licence.
http://www.scooterworld.com.au/learn...-a-scooter.htm

Mopeds
Riders of all mopeds must obey the same traffic regulations as riders of motorcycles. They have to hold a rider’s licence and must wear an approved helmet.

Motor assisted pedal cycle
A cycle that is essentially a pedal cycle with a small auxiliary motor attached need only be registered if the motor output is more than 200 watts. If power output is such that it is required to be registered, it will be treated as a moped or a small motorcycle.

If a motor-assisted pedal cycle is exempt from the need to be registered, the rider does not have to hold a licence. However, it is compulsory for riders to wear a suitable safety helmet and obey the same traffic laws as motorcyclists.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati.../vsi/vsi27.pdf
Thanks for the info...it has given me a place to start!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 5:26 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Hi Steve,

You need to do the RTA approved course first, to get your 'L's. This is a full day or 2 half days course at a driving school centre, where they show you the ropes and make sure you have a chance of surviving the open roads! Once you have done the course, take the certificate they give you to an RTA office and get your learners license itself. This is valid for 6 months, after which you'll have to do the provisional test. If you don't do this within 6 months, you'll need to re-do the 'L's course again.
This is only required if the scooter needs to be registered on the road - which most ones will unless they are those electric jobs.

Call the RTA on 13 22 13 to book this up, find out your nearest centre, and find out how much it costs (I think mine was about $60 - it's heavily subsidised which is good).

Oh, and I was told I needed a NSW license to do all this - so if you don't have one yet, you'll need to get one!

Good luck!
Old Feb 28th 2006, 10:10 pm
Full Throttle

Originally Posted by Budgie
Hi Steve,

You need to do the RTA approved course first, to get your 'L's. This is a full day or 2 half days course at a driving school centre, where they show you the ropes and make sure you have a chance of surviving the open roads! Once you have done the course, take the certificate they give you to an RTA office and get your learners license itself. This is valid for 6 months, after which you'll have to do the provisional test. If you don't do this within 6 months, you'll need to re-do the 'L's course again.
This is only required if the scooter needs to be registered on the road - which most ones will unless they are those electric jobs.

Call the RTA on 13 22 13 to book this up, find out your nearest centre, and find out how much it costs (I think mine was about $60 - it's heavily subsidised which is good).

Oh, and I was told I needed a NSW license to do all this - so if you don't have one yet, you'll need to get one!

Good luck!
Thanks for that Budgie - $60 for the L's seems fair, any idea how much the provisional test costs?
Ta muchly
Steve
Old Mar 1st 2006, 2:23 am
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by stevemich
Thanks for that Budgie - $60 for the L's seems fair, any idea how much the provisional test costs?
Ta muchly
Steve
I don't think it's much more. Unfortunately, I still havn't taken mine yet so don't know exactly how much!