Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools - what info to get from uk to take to oz

Schools - what info to get from uk to take to oz

Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of
Default Schools - what info to get from uk to take to oz

Ok I am in the middle of changing the kids schools just for a few weeks before we go to oz. Should i get the old school to provide details or let the new school provide reports even though they will only go there for a few weeks.

Also what should i ask the schools for?
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Schools - what info to get from uk to take to oz

Ours didn't bother despite my daughter having literacy probs.
If they perceive a problem they will deal with it and call in the right folk to help.
In my exp they take as they find. And that is often not a bad thing!

I think i misread that - do you mean in uk or oz ?

If UK - ignore me
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by homewardbound
Ok I am in the middle of changing the kids schools just for a few weeks before we go to oz. Should i get the old school to provide details or let the new school provide reports even though they will only go there for a few weeks.

Also what should i ask the schools for?
If she has specific problems then yes the new school needs to know this even if it is just for a few weeks.

If your kids are pretty standards, no SEN or particular gifts then for just a few weeks the school doesn't need reports, they will prob go into middle sets at this stage in the year anyway.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

I meant for oz...jus got my son into a school and they said they will put his straight into the top sets which is where he is now... but i was more wondering for oz... or will just school reports and progress checks do? Do they need anything else?

Thanks
Old Jan 17th 2008, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I meant for oz...jus got my son into a school and they said they will put his straight into the top sets which is where he is now... but i was more wondering for oz... or will just school reports and progress checks do? Do they need anything else?

Thanks
We took school reports, & show it to their teacher, but they werent really interested, as they say they test them in the class to see where they are accordingly themselves.
That was in SA, but I would just take school report, better to have it than not having in case they ask for it.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Schools here will not give two hoots about what has been done in UK and most schools dont have "top sets" - streaming is generally out these days! If they do have some sort of streaming then they will do their own assessments. For enrolment bring along your passport with visa and your child's immunization record.

Only time they will be really clamouring for information is if you have a child with a disability who has had a psych assessment or any other therapy assessment which could lead to them having inclusion support in the classroom. In which case bring any diagnoses from qualified professionals, psych reports (with figures, not just broad bands), any attainments testing.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for responses.... another question. I have no idea where the kids red books are - havent seen them in years.. Will the dr do a letter for me? Will they charge too?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for responses.... another question. I have no idea where the kids red books are - havent seen them in years.. Will the dr do a letter for me? Will they charge too?
Mine did, you best ask that question from your own GP, nobody can really answer that for you here.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:14 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

Our Drs printed off our medical records (for free) and they had all the immunisations listed on them so I gave the school a copy of that rather than the red book.

Also our school here were very interested in the school reports from the UK and also wanted examples of work for writing but still would have accepted the children without them.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice

All childrens immunisation and screening records are on the child health system (A National database).
Your GP should have access to it and can simply print the page off for you. Practise nurse or admin clerk at GP's should also have access as they are the ones who have to put the immunisation record onto the database.
Shouldn't be a charge.

Alison
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

KarenandPaul is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
Our Drs printed off our medical records (for free) and they had all the immunisations listed on them so I gave the school a copy of that rather than the red book.

Also our school here were very interested in the school reports from the UK and also wanted examples of work for writing but still would have accepted the children without them.
Hi rebnatoli
Noticed you live in Thornlands & have children similar age to mine. Waiting for visa to be granted but hope to move to Bayside area june/july & wondered if you wouldn't mind me asking you some questions.( If you are fed up of people asking the same things, no worries!)
Karen