Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools and Suburbs

Schools and Suburbs

Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools and Suburbs

Originally Posted by OzTennis
If someone was on $200K p.a. (2 to 3 times the national average) they should be able to pick anywhere to rent I would have thought.
Yeah, me too, but according to the pay calculator (and I didn't plug in any settings to reduce tax, just put in 200K as is), it says $2539.15 is the weekly take home. So, $800 p/w is just over the recommended 30% on rent (30% of that weekly pay is $761.75)...of course that doesn't include insurance, utlitities (ugh), water, broadband... I guess 200K doesn't go as far as it used to...
Old Jun 20th 2016, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
If someone was on $200K p.a. (2 to 3 times the national average) they should be able to pick anywhere to rent I would have thought.
That may depend on the size of their mortgage if they also plan to buy
Old Jun 20th 2016, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, me too, but according to the pay calculator (and I didn't plug in any settings to reduce tax, just put in 200K as is), it says $2539.15 is the weekly take home. So, $800 p/w is just over the recommended 30% on rent (30% of that weekly pay is $761.75)...of course that doesn't include insurance, utlitities (ugh), water, broadband... I guess 200K doesn't go as far as it used to...
There's statistics and there's statistics.

North Balwyn - The median individual income is $629 per week and the median household income is $1787 per week.
The median rent in Balwyn North is $413 per week and the median mortgage repayment is $2243 per month.

I still think someone on $200K p.a. can easily reside in those 'burbs and I presume they will take some savings with them so won't be relying solely on income.

Last edited by OzTennis; Jun 20th 2016 at 1:32 pm.