Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools and Suburbs

Schools and Suburbs

Old Jun 8th 2016, 8:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools and Suburbs

Originally Posted by Beoz
I recently asked this on another thread and was poo pooed about the reason for asking, but here goes again.

How do you figure 200k is comparable to what you earn in the UK? Lets hope you didn't do a straight exchange rate conversion.

You need to compare where you live in the UK, your outgoings, and where you live in Australia, and its outgoings. If you are moving from Glasgow to Melbourne, yes needs different considerations.

BTW, renting is dirt cheap in Australia compared to paying a mortgage. You can thank a thing call Negative Gearing for that. You can get really nice places if you rent.
OP wonders how people manage in Australia. Where is this?

"Home ownership fell to its lowest level in 25 years in 2012/13, while the number of private tenants overtook the number in social housing for the first time, according to official figures that show how tenure has shifted over three decades.

The latest housing survey showed that the proportion of homes lived in by owner-ocupiers had dropped to 65.2%, down from 71% in 2003 and its lowest level since 1987. Ownership levels have been driven down by rising prices and tougher mortgage criteria,"

It's the UK being described. Home ownership levels are higher in Australia (67% cf 65%) so the answer to the question how do people manage is they seem to.

Last edited by OzTennis; Jun 8th 2016 at 8:43 am.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarknKatie
Maybe you have hit the nail on the head. I am from the North (Near Leeds, West Yorkshire) and I am comparing prices in Leeds City and surrounding area whereas perhaps I should have my head in more of a London mindset for prices.

I currently commute 45 mins to work (will be in the CBD) so don't mind a similar commute.

Does anyone have any experience of northern suburbs? I came across Sunbury yesterday which seems to tick all the boxes, good schools, houses similar to north England and about a 45 min commute. Does anyone know anything of this area?
Well the truth is moving from £100k income in Leeds to $200k in Melbourne is going to mean a drop in your material living standards. That is not to say you shouldn't do it, you cannot put a price on some life experiences, but you should consider how much you want it and whether it is worth it.

I tend to think of Sydney as being most comparable to London amd Melbourne as not necessarily London, but definitely most comparable with the SE in terms of property prices.
Old Jun 8th 2016, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

skinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really niceskinnygeorge is just really nice

As far as cost of living. We moved Dec `08,and personally we have a far bigger mortgage than we did in the UK and the cost of living is as you say is much greater. I do earn a bit more than I did in the UK. And yet we are far better off, with more to spend all round. Was told right at the start do not try and compare. Its in our nature I know and you cannot help but try and foresee where you will stand. But somehow we have more. We worry about how much groceries cost each week, but visiting the Uk were surprised how much stuff cost there.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I wouldn't really consider Sunbury to be a suburb of Melbourne.

If I was looking North, I'd have a look at Eltham and surrounding suburbs. Train commute is around that 45 min mark. I think this area has a really nice feel to it...very Australian...which is hard to explain!
Agree Sunbury is not really Melbourne. Its also got a large drug and unemployment side. Son did a medical placement there, bad area. Eltham is treed and green. A fairly white middle class area fir melb. Hilly, green more clean air feel. Remember most housing goes way over the advertised price. 700 plus for a house. 45 mins train to cbd.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jun 11th 2016 at 8:38 am. Reason: Fix quote.
Old Jun 11th 2016, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Agree Sunbury is not really Melbourne. Its also got a large drug and unemployment side. Son did a medical placement there, bad area. Eltham is treed and green. A fairly white middle class area fir melb. Hilly, green more clean air feel. Remember most housing goes way over the advertised price. 700 plus for a house. 45 mins train to cbd.
A friend of ours is a nurse in a clinic near the CBD and she has lots and lots of 'suits' from Toorak etc coming in for their methadone, needles etc. Truth be known there is a large drug problem in ALL suburbs. It's just that it is not as apparent or wears a suit, collar and tie in some of the upmarket suburbs.
Old Jun 19th 2016, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Rent in one of the following suburbs (make sure that the property falls within the zone, schools are pretty strict in this regard) where the state secondary schools have a very good reputation:

North Balwyn (Balwyn High)
Glen Waverley (GWSC)
Mckinnon (Mckinnon Secondary)
Camberwell (Camberwell High) - Edit: the best in terms of commuting, serviced by 3 train stations!

Buy in any suburb where you can buy your house without a backbreaking mortgage.

Last edited by IndieG; Jun 19th 2016 at 10:05 am.
Old Jun 19th 2016, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by IndieG
Rent in one of the following suburbs (make sure that the property falls within the zone, schools are pretty strict in this regard) where the state secondary schools have a very good reputation:

North Balwyn (Balwyn High)
Glen Waverley (GWSC)
Mckinnon (Mckinnon Secondary)
Camberwell (Camberwell High) - Edit: the best in terms of commuting, serviced by 3 train stations!

Buy in any suburb where you can buy your house without a backbreaking mortgage.
You would need a 7 figure sum (min) to get an average house in the zones of the schools you specified and rental would be budget stretching as well.

Median house price:

N Balwyn $1.8 mill
McKinnon $1.5 mill
Camberwell $1.8 mill
Glen Waverley $1.2 mill

Sunbury $370K
Old Jun 19th 2016, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You would need a 7 figure sum (min) to get an average house in the zones of the schools you specified and rental would be budget stretching as well.

Median house price:

N Balwyn $1.8 mill
McKinnon $1.5 mill
Camberwell $1.8 mill
Glen Waverley $1.2 mill

Sunbury $370K
Yeah, we looked at Camberwell but balked at the average $850 p/w rent for a 4 bedroom...
Old Jun 19th 2016, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Japonica
Yeah, we looked at Camberwell but balked at the average $850 p/w rent for a 4 bedroom...
Property and rents a lot cheaper (although expensive for most admittedly), schools etc good where I originate from.

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighb...stown-3016-vic
Old Jun 19th 2016, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Property and rents a lot cheaper (although expensive for most admittedly), schools etc good where I originate from.

https://www.realestate.com.au/neighb...stown-3016-vic
Ha, all the 4 bedrooms I just looked at are comparable, anywhere from the $600-900 p/w range. Nice area though, have to agree with you there.

Having moved twice in the past year though I think we're staying put for the meantime (and hoping our rent doesn't go up too much when we're up for renewal).
Old Jun 19th 2016, 10:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ha, all the 4 bedrooms I just looked at are comparable, anywhere from the $600-900 p/w range. Nice area though, have to agree with you there.

Having moved twice in the past year though I think we're staying put for the meantime (and hoping our rent doesn't go up too much when we're up for renewal).
Yeah, understood; I'm surprised that rentals are in the N Balwyn/Camberwell league though as the house and unit prices aren't!
Old Jun 19th 2016, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Median house price:

N Balwyn $1.8 mill
McKinnon $1.5 mill
Camberwell $1.8 mill
Glen Waverley $1.2 mill

Sunbury $370K
Which is why I said rent in the suburbs with good schools and buy in a suburb you can afford.

Camberwell: - less than $700 p/w for 3-4 bedroom houses

116 Rowell Avenue Camberwell Vic 3124 - House for Rent #418165334 - realestate.com.au
3/24 Russell Street Camberwell Vic 3124 - Unit for Rent #418597546 - realestate.com.au
3 Currajong Avenue Camberwell Vic 3124 - House for Rent #418582318 - realestate.com.au

etc

Glen Waverley and Mckinnon would be even cheaper than Camberwell. On a $200k salary, I would definitely find it very affordable to rent here.

Nice house and great location in Glen Waverley:

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...rley-418453738

Last edited by IndieG; Jun 19th 2016 at 11:16 am.
Old Jun 19th 2016, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

I know this market quite well and follow it very closely. High-priced rental properties remain vacant for a long time and then some of the owners start reducing rents by up to 20% until they're down to the $700-800 range. Supply is definitely much more than demand
Old Jun 19th 2016, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

I know this market quite well and follow it very closely. High-priced rental properties remain vacant for a long time and then some of the owners start reducing rents by up to 20% until they're down to the $700-800 range. Supply is definitely much more than demand
That's good to hear. Will keep it in mind for down the road.
Old Jun 20th 2016, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which is why I said rent in the suburbs with good schools and buy in a suburb you can afford.

Camberwell: - less than $700 p/w for 3-4 bedroom houses

116 Rowell Avenue Camberwell Vic 3124 - House for Rent #418165334 - realestate.com.au
3/24 Russell Street Camberwell Vic 3124 - Unit for Rent #418597546 - realestate.com.au
3 Currajong Avenue Camberwell Vic 3124 - House for Rent #418582318 - realestate.com.au

etc

Glen Waverley and Mckinnon would be even cheaper than Camberwell. On a $200k salary, I would definitely find it very affordable to rent here.

Nice house and great location in Glen Waverley:

1/25 Myrtle Street Glen Waverley Vic 3150 - Townhouse for Rent #418453738 - realestate.com.au
If someone was on $200K p.a. (2 to 3 times the national average) they should be able to pick anywhere to rent I would have thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.