Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools! State V Private

Schools! State V Private

Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Schools! State V Private

Originally Posted by rabsody
Is that State High you are sending your kids to? I am going through this decision at the mo and the thing that puts me off about private is the BMW scenario you mention above. My friend sends her kids private and she said all the other girls have designer sunglasses, jeans etc which in turn mean her girls pressure her for things. She spends a fortune!

My two have been down for Brisbane Girls Grammar since birth but it's $15k per year fees, plus uniform etc. Plus it's highly academic and my eldest is not really that academic. We live near Kenmore State High which is one of the top five state schools so I'm not sure if I'm wasting my money sending them private. Might be better to spend the money on uni fees or deposit for a house for them later on. Decisions, decisions!
I would go down the state school option here, no question!!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Is that State High you are sending your kids to? I am going through this decision at the mo and the thing that puts me off about private is the BMW scenario you mention above. My friend sends her kids private and she said all the other girls have designer sunglasses, jeans etc which in turn mean her girls pressure her for things. She spends a fortune!

My two have been down for Brisbane Girls Grammar since birth but it's $15k per year fees, plus uniform etc. Plus it's highly academic and my eldest is not really that academic. We live near Kenmore State High which is one of the top five state schools so I'm not sure if I'm wasting my money sending them private. Might be better to spend the money on uni fees or deposit for a house for them later on. Decisions, decisions!
I have 2 friends whose girls go to Brisbane Grammar and they both say there are definately the BMW scenrio things going on "Mummy I forgot my homework can you send it over in a taxi" is a frequent one apparantly. One doesn't let it get to her at all and the other is always trying to weigh up what she should and shouldn't try and keep up with. Academically I know it has an excellent reputation.
Personally, we chose Mt Alvernia in Kedron for our daughter who is higly academic, mainly because we felt we fitted in there. We were interviewed as a family (as opposed to other schools that gave her a place before they had even met us, simply on her grades) and with fees of under $4,000 a year it doesn't tend to attract the super rich. She is now in grade 10 and we are very happy, her grades have continued to be very good an they are excellent with their pastoral care. I feel that she will do well wherever she is, but wanted a little more structure & discipline around than we saw at our local state high school - if we had a good state high school nearby I would have sent her there. I really think you have to look at each school separately.
Gill
Old Apr 6th 2008, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

I think the BMW scenario is generally a rumour started by people who don't go to private school. Sure it happens but its not ALL the time.

All the private schools in Sydney have uniform so there is not necessarily a one upmanship feeling )although the uniform itself is pretty pricey.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:18 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

You also have to remember that some of the 'elite' schools are renowned for their drug culture.

Some parents once their kids have not 'flourished' in state schools decide that what they need is more structure and discipline and that the private sector is the place to get these qualities and get 'little johnny' to buckle down and get the grades... so whilst some state schools may get a reputation a 'sink schools' for local bogans, there are some well off schools with high fees that act as 'sink schools' for wealthy delinquents!!!

Once again - do your research and try not to draw any conculsions on board schooling types - look at the specific schools you're considering..

Is that State High you are sending your kids to?
Yep - "The Gap State High" - I've heard nothing but excellent reports from other parents and former students and its 'league table' performance puts it up there with all but 'the best' of the private schools...

Its also conveniently LOCAL - which should be a *huge* factor in anyones decision! I see some of the private school kids waiting at the bus stop at 7am - and getting home at 5pm every day and feel really sorry for them. I'd much rather my kids day ran from 8-4 than 7-5!! They're more likely to have time and energy do be able to concentrate on their homework and get involved in other extra curricular activities
Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

My boys go to the queensland academy which is excellent & state!!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
You also have to remember that some of the 'elite' schools are renowned for their drug culture.

Some parents once their kids have not 'flourished' in state schools decide that what they need is more structure and discipline and that the private sector is the place to get these qualities and get 'little johnny' to buckle down and get the grades... so whilst some state schools may get a reputation a 'sink schools' for local bogans, there are some well off schools with high fees that act as 'sink schools' for wealthy delinquents!!!

Once again - do your research and try not to draw any conculsions on board schooling types - look at the specific schools you're considering..

Yep - "The Gap State High" - I've heard nothing but excellent reports from other parents and former students and its 'league table' performance puts it up there with all but 'the best' of the private schools...

Its also conveniently LOCAL - which should be a *huge* factor in anyones decision! I see some of the private school kids waiting at the bus stop at 7am - and getting home at 5pm every day and feel really sorry for them. I'd much rather my kids day ran from 8-4 than 7-5!! They're more likely to have time and energy do be able to concentrate on their homework and get involved in other extra curricular activities

Yes, I have heard the only difference in terms of drug culture between state and private is that the private kids can afford better drugs! In fact, I was reading an article the other day that linked student drug use to easier access to higher levels of pocket money.

One of the reasons I like the idea of private is that ultimately it is a business and therefore the school must be accountable to the parents. For instance, my kids currently go to state school and my youngest who's very bright was getting bored. When I requested additional work for her, the teacher was pretty much not interested. If she was in private I don't think that would be the case.

Gap State High's a good one. You and I are lucky that we have the choice of a good state school locally, friends of mine have had to send their kids private as their local school has been the pits.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 7:07 am
Just Joined

Cath Lawson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there - I'm still only planning my move to Australia, so can't actually help much on the schools there.

But, I do send my son to an Independent Day School over here. And it costs a fortune - over £12,000 a year. My daughter is due to start secondary in September and there is just no way I can afford to pay that amount of money for the two of them, so she is going to the local comp - another good reason to move to oz!

My son was actually in a secondary outside the catchment area, but I pulled him out because he was bullied (this happens a lot in the area where I live - especially if you're not in the catchment area - different accent and everything). I'd initially chosen the state school because they had pretty good academic results - not too far behind the private school.

The main differences I've found are - smaller classes, far stricter, they stay behind after school to do prep until 5 o'clock. Not so great differences that I've found - the school appear to be biased against kids who attended state school beforehand, the cost, so of the parents are rude and stuck up, to the point where their behaviour actually got the school on the front of the local newspaper.

All I would advise is - do your research on both the state and private schools in the area you're moving to before you go. Also, do your sums before sending your child to a really expensive school. Remember you're moving to a new country - you don't know how things are going to go financially and it would be awful having to pull your child out of school if you couldn't afford to pay. In private schools in the UK, there's lots of extras to pay for, including trips and books, plus the uniform is far more expensive than the comprehensive school uniform.

I searched an Independent School's site for Perth and it said there were none in the area. But, I have heard that they have some excellent state schools in Western Australia.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 8:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Like others have said it depends on the area and what school.

Just because its a private school doesnt mean its any good.

My kids tried one Catholic fee school here and it was blooming rubbish! (Nice kids but work was not so good)

However moved and my son is at a very good fee paying Catholic High School(Also does boarding). This is complete opposite to first school we tried, and work level is more suited to academic son. This school is worth every penny.

Hubby works in state system and his school is good, however others in the same town not so good. Good and bad schools in the state system too.

Also have to admit my kid have attended state and fee paying schools in Europe.

As with any school have a good look around, ask to see examples of work, and speak with locals first. Just because you pay fees does not mean it is right for your child.

Gems
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Tracy24 will become famous soon enough

As with all school I personally feel deciding to send children to private school is a very indivual choice.

If you are lucky to get a good state school then that's great if not well sometimes private is the only option.

Our eldest is at private school and boards and it costs an arm and couple legs (approx £18K per year and that's before any extras, trips, after school clubs, uniform, pocket money and stationery).

I've only just started looking into school in Oz, and this something that I will be keeping an open mind about - luckly we will only have one to educated by the time we get there but she will just be starting school so I've got a couple of years to do some more research.

Now whether I will opt for the private or the state system well I'll just need to wait and see!

Great thread and interesting reading.

Tracy
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Might be better to spend the money on uni fees or deposit for a house for them later on. Decisions, decisions!
Many finance gurus suggest sorting your pension/super out before helping out adult children financially.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Have 4 kids would love to send them to a private school, would be possible if I only had 2, but with 4 I think it's a big no no!!!

Let's be honest if we had the funds, most of us would opt for the private option to give them a better start.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

inOz2008 is an unknown quantity at this point

The fee range of $3-20k per year, with Catholic schools at the lower "affordable" range of the private school spectrum - does this mean one has to be of religious bias in order to have their kids attending these schools?

What if we are not religious as such and do not bring up our kids in that regard (morals yes, religion specifically no) - do our kids still have to attend Christianity (or any other?) religious classes as part of the Catholic school curriculum?
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:11 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by inOz2008
The fee range of $3-20k per year, with Catholic schools at the lower "affordable" range of the private school spectrum - does this mean one has to be of religious bias in order to have their kids attending these schools?

What if we are not religious as such and do not bring up our kids in that regard (morals yes, religion specifically no) - do our kids still have to attend Christianity (or any other?) religious classes as part of the Catholic school curriculum?
Its not as strict here as to your denomination.

Lutherne schools have some of the highest OP scores.

Some catholic schools, have tremendous OP scores.

Check out St. Pauls school in Brisbane !!!!

Friends of ours kids go there, im presuming its Catholic, as theres a SAINT in the title.. however im not sure, this is Oz yanno
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by inOz2008

Hi, from my experience in 2 catholic schools over here, at interview the one of the main focus was about the religion. I am far from religious, weddings and funerals person, but i do expect my child to be taught some religious background in a catholic school. So the answer is yes they still have to take a sort of religious class etc. Its there grounding on the school.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 9:38 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Our kids went through the private school system in the UK until we moved to NZ where they went to state schools.

We were so disappointed with the standards of teaching, discipline and ambition in NZ that we'll never put them in State schools again by choice. (Many of the teachers in high school didn't even speak English as their first language which caused additional problems)

Private schools here are not as elitist as they are in the UK, ok there are kids with parents that have a few million in the bank but you're just as likely to find them in state schools too, the vast majority of kids are just like ours.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.