Schools - Sheldon and Ormiston college comments please

Wikiposts

Schools - Sheldon and Ormiston college comments please

Old Apr 12th 2005, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

beach bound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools - Sheldon and Ormiston college comments please

Hi

We're out in Oz validating our visa and looking around the Brisbane area to try and determine where we will live.

Today we visited Cleveland/Ormiston. As part of the day we spent 2 hours at Ormiston College, which seems a lovely school (but a big waiting list!). We would have also liked to have visited Sheldon College but ran out of time and we are now back up near Noosa so are unlikely to be able to get back down again.

Can I ask any parents with children at either school for your comments (good and bad) on your child's experience at their school. One thing we were surprised at is the big class size. At home our 2 (aged nearly 5 and 7) are in classes of 15 but at Ormiston College the class is 27!! Seems a lot even with a teacher plus helper. Is this the same situation at Sheldon? Ormiston had fantastic facilities for sport, drama and music - again how does Sheldon compare?

Given the waiting list situation it is likely we will register for both but we would be really grateful for your thoughts on the two schools.

Many thanks
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:35 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools - Sheldon and Ormiston college comments please

Originally Posted by beach bound
Hi

We're out in Oz validating our visa and looking around the Brisbane area to try and determine where we will live.

Today we visited Cleveland/Ormiston. As part of the day we spent 2 hours at Ormiston College, which seems a lovely school (but a big waiting list!). We would have also liked to have visited Sheldon College but ran out of time and we are now back up near Noosa so are unlikely to be able to get back down again.

Can I ask any parents with children at either school for your comments (good and bad) on your child's experience at their school. One thing we were surprised at is the big class size. At home our 2 (aged nearly 5 and 7) are in classes of 15 but at Ormiston College the class is 27!! Seems a lot even with a teacher plus helper. Is this the same situation at Sheldon? Ormiston had fantastic facilities for sport, drama and music - again how does Sheldon compare?

Given the waiting list situation it is likely we will register for both but we would be really grateful for your thoughts on the two schools.

Many thanks
You will be lucky to get any schools in Qld with class sizes like you metioned unless you end up in the middle of nowhere & the school is tiny. Average class sizes for that age group in Qld seems to be in the 20s (our boys classes in year 1 & 2 have been 22,22,23 & 24).

Cant personally help with the schools, but there are alot of expats with kids at Ormiston & its spoken very highly of. I can think of about half a dozen on BBB just off the top of my head. As for Sheldon, ABC's daughter used to go there, he can tell you more.

Have a look at Sheldon College
Old Apr 12th 2005, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
You will be lucky to get any schools in Qld with class sizes like you metioned unless you end up in the middle of nowhere & the school is tiny. Average class sizes for that age group in Qld seems to be in the 20s (our boys classes in year 1 & 2 have been 22,22,23 & 24).

Cant personally help with the schools, but there are alot of expats with kids at Ormiston & its spoken very highly of. I can think of about half a dozen on BBB just off the top of my head. As for Sheldon, ABC's daughter used to go there, he can tell you more.

Have a look at Sheldon College
Just need to wait till ABCD gets up ( So midday then ). He's mentioned Ormiston and sheldon before.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 12th 2005, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your replies. I had done a search of the forum and found some references to the two colleges but they were a year or so old so thought I'd ask again.

Funny thing about the class sizes. In the UK a smaller class size is valued and hence part of the reason for the high fees paid for at private schools. Talking yesterday it seems here in Oz the smaller class size is very much a thing only found if a school is under subscribed (which in turn implies the school might not be as 'good' and parents are going elsewhere). I assume from all this that class sizes between state and private are no different.

Any further comments on the schools are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 12th 2005, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by beach bound
Thanks for your replies. I had done a search of the forum and found some references to the two colleges but they were a year or so old so thought I'd ask again.

Funny thing about the class sizes. In the UK a smaller class size is valued and hence part of the reason for the high fees paid for at private schools. Talking yesterday it seems here in Oz the smaller class size is very much a thing only found if a school is under subscribed (which in turn implies the school might not be as 'good' and parents are going elsewhere). I assume from all this that class sizes between state and private are no different.

Any further comments on the schools are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have two children that go to Sheldon College, aged 14 and 10 (both boys). I cannot praise the school enough and would recommend it whole heartly.

Once you have visited the school and decided whether or not you are interested in attending, children and parents must attend an interview with the Prinicpal, Dr Bishop before acceptance. Our interview was the main reason we knew Sheldon was the right school for us. Dr Bishop's questions and the way she chatted to and explained the rules to the boys was fantastic. Everything was explained from dress code and hair cuts, work ethic and expectations. Bullying, name calling and 'pushing' and not allowed and are not tolerated. You are told that the school and its rules may not be for you and you are encouraged to go away and think about your choice before making the final decision. Dr Bishop is fair and realistic in her expectations and the boys, even at their ages fully understood this and really like her.

Their first week was traumatic - new country, new system and the 10 year old was completely lost, having lots of new responsibility but the children all rally around and help.

The school has lots of students from all around the world as well as aussie kids, so it really is a good mix in terms of cultures and personalities.

Children are issued with assignments relevant to their age group and homework is four nights per week. They can attend free extension classes after school, if they find they are struggling with the work.

Class sizes are approx. 26.

Schools are a personal choice, as I say I cannot praise Sheldon enough - for me, when I hear the children from all year levels saying - "I can't believe we go to such a good school" - we know we have made the right choice and its well worth the money.

Good luck.
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:20 pm
ABCDiamond

I agree with Surfdude. Allmost all children are very happy there. Except for the one that was expelled for being in possession of a cigarette, and I think three that were expelled for stealing from the tuck shop.
Discipline is High, eg: A year 3 girl pushed another year 3 girl against a brick wall, causing a scratched back. The involved Children and Parents had to attend a meeting to discuss why this was not permitted. I think that if it happened again, being expelled was the next step. All the children fully understand, and agree with this, even the 7/8 year olds.

The Teachers themselves wear uniforms and are always very polite.

If your children are involved in Drama, then they also get plenty of options for that.

The main reason we moved our daughter to a different school, was that it was more local, and we had enrolled her for it prior to going to Sheldon College. My thinking on the subject now, is that she currently gains from more local friends, but loses out on the higher disipline, and possible even the higher academic standards. In the back of my mind though, I do consider what would happen if she became involved in any bullying, and I feel that I would move her back to Sheldon in that event.

Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

surfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the roughsurfdude is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree with Surfdude. Allmost all children are very happy there. Except for the one that was expelled for being in possession of a cigarette, and I think three that were expelled for stealing from the tuck shop.
Discipline is High, eg: A year 3 girl pushed another year 3 girl against a brick wall, causing a scratched back. The involved Children and Parents had to attend a meeting to discuss why this was not permitted. I think that if it happened again, being expelled was the next step. All the children fully understand, and agree with this, even the 7/8 year olds.

The Teachers themselves wear uniforms and are always very polite.

If your children are involved in Drama, then they also get plenty of options for that.

The main reason we moved our daughter to a different school, was that it was more local, and we had enrolled her for it prior to going to Sheldon College. My thinking on the subject now, is that she currently gains from more local friends, but loses out on the higher disipline, and possible even the higher academic standards. In the back of my mind though, I do consider what would happen if she became involved in any bullying, and I feel that I would move her back to Sheldon in that event.

Thanks ! I didn't realise you had moved your daughter from Sheldon, how did she cope with the change ?
Old Apr 12th 2005, 12:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by surfdude
Thanks ! I didn't realise you had moved your daughter from Sheldon, how did she cope with the change ?
No problems with changing
She is now in her 4th school in Australia. One thing she has gained from these changes, is that she is not scared of changes now

She started school in NSW at a private Christian school, then we moved up here and we enrolled her with a similar local private Christian school here, but due to waiting lists she went to the local State school for a while, but then we moved her to Sheldon, but changed again when a vacancy was suitable.

I must admit that I am very pleased with her ability to adapt to change these days, and the ease in which she has made friends at all the schools
I was very concerned when she started school, as I just about had to take her right up to the classroom every day for about 12 months !

Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Surfdude and ABC

Thanks for your views on Sheldon. Although we didn't get chance to visit on Wednesday my husband managed a flying visit on Thursday as he had a couple of hours before his flight to Melbourne so he grabbed a taxi and went down to see. The staff were very helpful - my husband 'phoned from the taxi explaining the situation and they just said don't worry we'll show you 'round. The Director of Operations took him on the whirlwind visit and then, when he heard we were flying back to the UK from Brisbane on Sunday, very kindly offered to show us all around if we wanted to visit then (our flight back to the UK is late tomorrow night). The infomation he provided my husband with is very comprehensive detailing the syllabus, results, vision, etc.

We shall probably register for the 2 schools and then also explore the possibility of Ormiston Primary when we finally arrive back here for good. House sale dictates the move time which might make the enrolling and interviews difficult as we don't have a firm start time.

Thanks again.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 11:35 pm
Keeping Busy

arnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond reputearnie2oz has a reputation beyond repute

Our 16yo daughter goes to Ormiston and loves it. She says she even prefers it to her UK school where she had no problems either.

Like Sheldon they are strong on discipline and social skills as well as academic subjects, arts & sport. At the end of each day the pupils have to scour the school grounds for litter which keeps the place tidy (and discourages the dropping of litter during the day)