schools in QLD

Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:49 pm

amanda76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default schools in QLD

HIYA me again!!!

is it true that schools dont have air con ???

and is it true that their lunch sandwiches are not kept cool???

mand
Old Feb 15th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice
Default Re: schools in QLD

Hi Amanda

Most of my daughter's school rooms have ceiling fans and only the library and music rooms have air con as far as I know.

The lunchbox she takes has a bottle of water in the top (which I freeze every night) and it keeps lunch nice and cool.

Hope this helps.

Have noticed she hangs around after choir though cos it's cool in the music rooms!

Originally Posted by amanda76
HIYA me again!!!

mand
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

HIYA me again!!!

mand
Mostly its only the really new state schools that have air con, and most private ones.

Need to ask about this when you visit!!

Kids here have silver lined lunch boxes to keep sandwiches cool and most take frozen drinks which you freeze the night before ....but they don't eat much as they are thirsty more than anything!!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:33 pm

Kids here have silver lined lunch boxes to keep sandwiches cool and most take frozen drinks which you freeze the night before ....but they don't eat much as they are thirsty more than anything!![/QUOTE]

does this silver lined box keep the sandwiches cold, or are they all warm and mushy?!!! LOL

MAND
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Kids here have silver lined lunch boxes to keep sandwiches cool and most take frozen drinks which you freeze the night before ....but they don't eat much as they are thirsty more than anything!!

does this silver lined box keep the sandwiches cold, or are they all warm and mushy?!!! LOL

MAND[/QUOTE]

You can get cooler bag lunch boxes in the UK. May be an idea to get some. I'll look around and see if I can find some.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by WendyC

MAND
You can get cooler bag lunch boxes in the UK. May be an idea to get some. I'll look around and see if I can find some.[/QUOTE]

THATS A GOOD IDEA!!! WILL LOOK TOO!!

ARE YOU FOLLOWING ME AROUND!!! YOU HAVE JUST REMINDED ME I HAVNT PUT WASHING ON!!!! I HAVE DONE DAVINA THOUGH - IM ALL SMELLY!!!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 1:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
You can get cooler bag lunch boxes in the UK. May be an idea to get some. I'll look around and see if I can find some.

http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/b/a/ss_..._cool_bag.html
Old Feb 15th 2006, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

HIYA me again!!!

mand

Most schools dont have airconditioning. Funding as usual.

The schools that are airconditioned are in very far north or outback. The gov claimed it had to make cuts to education just to fund these, we are talking areas that reguarly reach 40 but even many of those areas are still fighting to get AC.

I would feel then its going to be a long time till SE QLD, areas such as bris which rarely goes about 32 would get it . Despite that many parents are calling for it, and often the media picks up on it especially if we get a hot spell, which so far this summer we havent its been more consistently warm than hot.

Having said that none of our kids have ever had AC private or state, however this year the grade 7 class have been moved into a unit that was previously used for admin, it has AC and the teachers and kids all reckon it makes a huge difference to concentration levels, the kids are funny, they reckon at lunchtime there banging on the door trying to get back in

Last edited by jad n rich; Feb 15th 2006 at 7:54 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2006, 9:56 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Air con is definately very much needed. We went to the pre-school for an orientation afternoon a couple of weeks ago. 4 ceiling fans in a huge area, one over each defined activity area. Sat there for an hour and a half, dripping with sweat and very uncomfortable...and yes, I have been here long enough to be acclimatised!. Lord knows how the kids concentrate all day. Bloody glad I went to school in England!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 10:37 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Air con is definately very much needed. We went to the pre-school for an orientation afternoon a couple of weeks ago. 4 ceiling fans in a huge area, one over each defined activity area. Sat there for an hour and a half, dripping with sweat and very uncomfortable...and yes, I have been here long enough to be acclimatised!. Lord knows how the kids concentrate all day. Bloody glad I went to school in England!
Delboy - the difference would be that the room was probably a great deal fuller than a normal class would be - lots of parents and kids taking up space

Neither of my girls schools have air con, only been here since late November but they have no problem. The fans work, the windows are open and most of the schools are built to get the breezes coming through. They both like doing tech though because of the air con in the computer suites. OTOH, first born came home the other day and for some reason had a normal lesson in a tech room and they had all be complaining it was too cold.

Don't think I would be too happy to have air con in all classrooms, we don't put it on at home much and it's got to be healthier to do without.

The lunch bags we bought here work a treat. Cold sarnies, cold drinks. Both girls take one squash for lunch and break and one mainly frozen water in a covered bottle for drinking through lessons. No worries!
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:39 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Delboy - the difference would be that the room was probably a great deal fuller than a normal class would be - lots of parents and kids taking up space

Neither of my girls schools have air con, only been here since late November but they have no problem. The fans work, the windows are open and most of the schools are built to get the breezes coming through. They both like doing tech though because of the air con in the computer suites. OTOH, first born came home the other day and for some reason had a normal lesson in a tech room and they had all be complaining it was too cold.

Don't think I would be too happy to have air con in all classrooms, we don't put it on at home much and it's got to be healthier to do without.

The lunch bags we bought here work a treat. Cold sarnies, cold drinks. Both girls take one squash for lunch and break and one mainly frozen water in a covered bottle for drinking through lessons. No worries!

Hmmm, maybe 15 kiddies and the same number of parents in a room the size of maybe a 4 brm brick and tile. Not sure of the temp, no thermometer there, but the lad's kindy has a temp chart showing the temp inside the room on each day. Best so far 38c just befor xmas.
Old Feb 16th 2006, 12:09 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

HIYA me again!!!

mand
I read somewhere that only 20% of schools have air con.
Conversely, 95% of prisons have air con.

Andrew
Old Feb 16th 2006, 1:13 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
I read somewhere that only 20% of schools have air con.
Conversely, 95% of prisons have air con.

Andrew
Presumably they don't have doors and windows that open though
Old Feb 16th 2006, 2:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Presumably they don't have doors and windows that open though
I like that

Some of the school class rooms are designed to allow the air to go though and be naturally cooled.

My daughters school has some classrooms with air con, and some without, but she says they rarely need them on, as it doesn't get too hot here.

Old Feb 16th 2006, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

MAND[/QUOTE]

I put the kids a frozen drink,(which i freeze the night before) wrapped in a face flannel in the lunchbox and this keeps the lunch bag and sarnies cold until about lunch time, the flannel keeps most of the moisture off the sarnies so they are not mushy unless they eat their lunch on the way home from school!!!

Plenty of shops here sell small silver lined cool boxes/shoulder bags, and some have kids characters on eg pokemon .... they are really popular.