Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools In The Perth Hills

Schools In The Perth Hills

Old Jul 7th 2009, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough
Default Schools In The Perth Hills

Hi,
There was a thread back in 2008 about the Perth Hills and the schools there... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554033 .
Could I ask for views on what the current best state schools are and which are the best private schools around the hills area, such as Kalamunda, Gooseberry Hill, Lesmurdie, Helena Valley, Mt Helena to Mundaring suburbs?

Which schools have good reputations and which schools should we avoid? We're interested in views on what their academic results are and generally what the pupils' behaviour is like.
Thanks.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 12:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools In The Perth Hills

Originally Posted by chasmw
Hi,
There was a thread back in 2008 about the Perth Hills and the schools there... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554033 .
Could I ask for views on what the current best state schools are and which are the best private schools around the hills area, such as Kalamunda, Gooseberry Hill, Lesmurdie, Helena Valley, Mt Helena to Mundaring suburbs?

Which schools have good reputations and which schools should we avoid? We're interested in views on what their academic results are and generally what the pupils' behaviour is like.
Thanks.
Gooseberry Hill Primary has a very good reputation, Kalamunda schools are not so good, Lesmurdie High is above average. Helena College (private) in Darlington is also pretty good. My son goes to Guildford Grammar (also private), not quite in the hills but close enough. I'm very happy with his education.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 5:42 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Gooseberry Hill Primary has a very good reputation, Kalamunda schools are not so good, Lesmurdie High is above average. Helena College (private) in Darlington is also pretty good. My son goes to Guildford Grammar (also private), not quite in the hills but close enough. I'm very happy with his education.
Kalamunda Primary - not bad

Kalamunda high school - avoid!!!!!

St brigids - private all girls - pretty good - both my girls go here and are doing really well

Mazanod - private all boys - pretty good

Carmel - private mixed - pretty good

You'll find that if a child wants to 'do well' it will where ever it goes, family support etc are also factors in the education of a child

I would wait till your here.... make appiontments and then make up your own mind....

every one has their own opinion..... i'm sure there are parents out there that rave about kalamunda High school

and as Amazulu has said...

Helena and Guildford also good

Sorry just realised i've quoted Amazulu (sorry)

Last edited by Sam; Jul 8th 2009 at 5:44 am. Reason: to add a bit
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Twiglets is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Sam
Kalamunda Primary - not bad

Kalamunda high school - avoid!!!!!

St brigids - private all girls - pretty good - both my girls go here and are doing really well

Mazanod - private all boys - pretty good

Carmel - private mixed - pretty good

You'll find that if a child wants to 'do well' it will where ever it goes, family support etc are also factors in the education of a child

I would wait till your here.... make appiontments and then make up your own mind....

every one has their own opinion..... i'm sure there are parents out there that rave about kalamunda High school and as Amazulu has said...

Helena and Guildford also good

Sorry just realised i've quoted Amazulu (sorry)
Whats wrong with Kalamunda Senior High School? They have a nice coloured uniform and are nearer the pub than the others. What more could a kid/parent want?
Old Jul 8th 2009, 7:39 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twiglets
Whats wrong with Kalamunda Senior High School? They have a nice coloured uniform and are nearer the pub than the others. What more could a kid/parent want?
thats my point...... not forgetting the drug dealers that sit in the car park lol
Old Jul 22nd 2009, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the advice. We're considering Lesmurdie SHS and are glad that somebody has said it's above average! Does anyone else have any further views on the school?
We will be living in Gooseberry Hill when we arrive - would we be in the catchment area for Lesmurdie there?
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:30 am
Just Joined

conotiem is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Schools In The Perth Hills

My children have both attended Kalamunda Senior High School. One still is. I have been happy with the school, particularly with the Academic Excellence Programme and I've seen some of the art that's produced up there..stunning. I guess that, if you as a parent are prepared to provide support and discipline at home, you won't have any problems. If your child is going to mix with the wrong crowd they'll do it at any school.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sam
thats my point...... not forgetting the drug dealers that sit in the car park lol
LOL. I think that's a bit of an exaggeration! Sounds like sour grapes to me!
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam
You get drugs at any school. I grew up in the hills and the Guildford Grammar boys always had the best drugs - one of the gardeners at the school was a dealer - the boarders were always cashed up and could afford the best.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kim67
You get drugs at any school. I grew up in the hills and the Guildford Grammar boys always had the best drugs - one of the gardeners at the school was a dealer - the boarders were always cashed up and could afford the best.
You're right. They seem to be more prevalent at some school's but haven't seen evidence of anything extreme at Kalamunda.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

We've now moved to the Hills (we're in temporary accommodation in Gooseberry Hill and have bought a house in Kalamunda). We've been in Oz for a month and our youngest daughter is at Gooseberry Hill Primary and the eldest daughter at Lesmurdie SHS. Very happy with both.