Reload this Page >

schools in North Sydney area

schools in North Sydney area

Old Jan 26th 2004, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cath is an unknown quantity at this point
Default schools in North Sydney area

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they have any experience of the selective schools in North Sydney such as James Ruse agriculture college, or Baulkham hills High school.
We are emigrating in August but are visiting in February to sort out schools and things. Are the selective schools comparative to Grammar schools here in England.

Cath
Old Jan 26th 2004, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Banksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really niceBanksia is just really nice
Default Re: schools in North Sydney area

Originally posted by Cath Can anyone tell me if they have any experience of the selective schools in North Sydney such as James Ruse agriculture college, or Baulkham hills High school.
We are emigrating in August but are visiting in February to sort out schools and things. Are the selective schools comparative to Grammar schools here in England.
Details of selective schools can be found at http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au:80/sch...s_details.php.

For more general information go to www.det.nsw.gov.au and seach for 'selective schools'

Incidentally North Sydney is a suburb with two selective schools as it happens. Northern Sydney accounts for about one-third of the city which is called Sydney (which isn't the same as City of Sydney). James Ruse and Baulkham Hills High are a long way from North Sydney but they are at least on the same side of the harbour.

Selective schools are just that. They require an entrance exam and places are very highly sought after particularly by the large number of upwardly mobile Asian and Indian migrants attracted to Sydney. James Ruse in particular is a real hothouse and sending kids there can take some soul searching on the question of how kids handle competition. I suspect Baulkham Hills High may be heading in the same direction.

Universities are more vocationally oriented than seems to be the case in the UK and entrance is already highly competitive with some 10,000 HECs places to be cut over the next few years.
Old Jan 27th 2004, 3:34 pm
Gary / Terri

Gary / Terri is on a distinguished road
Default Re: schools in North Sydney area

Originally posted by Cath
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they have any experience of the selective schools in North Sydney such as James Ruse agriculture college, or Baulkham hills High school.

Cath
Cath
not sure if you are the same cath I mailed a few moments ago but if you e mail my wife she has all the details you will need also I understand you are emigrating would love to e mail and keep in touch
G&T
Old Jan 27th 2004, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Cath is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers for that. I have just emailed her so I shall look foward to a reply.

Best of luck in your plans for 2004