Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Schools in North Sydney - Advice Required

Schools in North Sydney - Advice Required

Old Oct 14th 2005, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Schools in North Sydney - Advice Required

I'm hoping some Sydneysiders can help me out. We are arriving in Sydney on about the 7th January (need to book flights this weekend) and will obviously need to sort schools before we come as the Oz schools will be on summer holidays when we arrive.

We are hoping to settle somewhere on the North Shore/Northern Beaches as I believe most of the IT jobs are between the CBD district and North Ryde and that would appear to be a reasonable commute (I commute an hour a day in the UK already so not averse to commuting).

My oldest daughter (14) is in grammar school in the UK so I would ideally like her to attend selective school over there. My youngest (11 nearly 12) has just started secondary school and I would ideally like her to attend the same school as her sister so they can support each other when they first get over there.

Can anyone recommend some good schools? They could be state, selective or private?

Also on another subject, can anyone recommend a short term let that will sleep 5 people for two weeks whilst we look for somewhere to rent longer term. It will need to be 2/3 bed?

many thanks
Debs
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Re: Schools in North Sydney - Advice Required

Originally Posted by debilloyd
I'm hoping some Sydneysiders can help me out. We are arriving in Sydney on about the 7th January (need to book flights this weekend) and will obviously need to sort schools before we come as the Oz schools will be on summer holidays when we arrive.

We are hoping to settle somewhere on the North Shore/Northern Beaches as I believe most of the IT jobs are between the CBD district and North Ryde and that would appear to be a reasonable commute (I commute an hour a day in the UK already so not averse to commuting).

My oldest daughter (14) is in grammar school in the UK so I would ideally like her to attend selective school over there. My youngest (11 nearly 12) has just started secondary school and I would ideally like her to attend the same school as her sister so they can support each other when they first get over there.

Can anyone recommend some good schools? They could be state, selective or private?

Also on another subject, can anyone recommend a short term let that will sleep 5 people for two weeks whilst we look for somewhere to rent longer term. It will need to be 2/3 bed?

many thanks
Debs
I am in the same boat, my kids attend a grammar and I have just contacted all the selective schools in the North of Sydney area. Basically they are full.

I will let you know how I get on when I arrive on 30th October. I think we will be looking at private.

See this link but be aware when you contact schools they have told me there is no place for my 14 or 16 year old.

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/learni...ective8_12.php
Good luck
Tara
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ali south
I am in the same boat, my kids attend a grammar and I have just contacted all the selective schools in the North of Sydney area. Basically they are full.

I will let you know how I get on when I arrive on 30th October. I think we will be looking at private.

See this link but be aware when you contact schools they have told me there is no place for my 14 or 16 year old.

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/learni...ective8_12.php
Good luck
Tara
Tara

Thank you for the quick response and please do let me know how you get on. Do you have the names of any recommended private schools?

Debs
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by debilloyd
Tara

Thank you for the quick response and please do let me know how you get on. Do you have the names of any recommended private schools?

Debs
Debs no, but I'll ask my sister, she lives in Seaforth. She has a 10 year old so she has been looking. My other problem is that I am struggling to get my babies into the same school. I really want them to go to school together. I am also finding that no one is very interested while we are still in the UK. We have the same issue with the school holiday - only worse - I am a teacher and cannot find work when all the schools are closed!
I'll be in touch. Keep me in mind and email me if I forget. I am always happy to share what I have found but with a week till we go my memory is knackered!
Tara
Old Oct 14th 2005, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ali south
Debs no, but I'll ask my sister, she lives in Seaforth. She has a 10 year old so she has been looking. My other problem is that I am struggling to get my babies into the same school. I really want them to go to school together. I am also finding that no one is very interested while we are still in the UK. We have the same issue with the school holiday - only worse - I am a teacher and cannot find work when all the schools are closed!
I'll be in touch. Keep me in mind and email me if I forget. I am always happy to share what I have found but with a week till we go my memory is knackered!
Tara
Thanks Tara, I really appreciate it. We have purposefully decided to go at the beginning of Jan and not before so that they can start a new school year with everybody else and hopefully settle in quicker.

Keep in touch
Debs
Old Oct 15th 2005, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Just Pm you Debs