Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

schools in melbourne

schools in melbourne

Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

samanada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default schools in melbourne

we plan to immigrate at the end of this year we attend to live in melbourne.we r an egyptian family . i have to daugher the first one will turn 7 in August and she ends her first primary school and my second daughter will turn 5 in October and she ends her first kidergarten year please i need help to know how they will be enrolled in school and in what years? r thier certificates in egypt will help them to complete what they starts in thier schools? or there are tests to know thier levels and enrolled according to please i want to know importantly thank u.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 6:23 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: schools in melbourne

Originally Posted by samanada
we plan to immigrate at the end of this year we attend to live in melbourne.we r an egyptian family . i have to daugher the first one will turn 7 in August and she ends her first primary school and my second daughter will turn 5 in October and she ends her first kidergarten year please i need help to know how they will be enrolled in school and in what years? r thier certificates in egypt will help them to complete what they starts in thier schools? or there are tests to know thier levels and enrolled according to please i want to know importantly thank u.
Will you be sending private or state?

3 year olds - ELC 3 year olds
4 year olds - ELC 4 year olds
5 year olds - Prep year
6 year olds - Grade/Year 1
7 year olds - Grade/Year 2
On to Year 12 (final year of school)
What year depends on date of birth of child (I think its 1st May? forward go into next year)

Last edited by Geelong Gent; Jul 14th 2009 at 6:25 am.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

thank u so much please I want to ask another question my daughters can't speak english r the school ( state school ) will accept them or not? and how they will communicate with the teachers and the students? thank u for ur help.
Old Jul 15th 2009, 10:48 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

thank u so much please I want to ask another question my daughters can't speak english r the school ( state school ) will accept them or not? and how they will communicate with the teachers and the students? thank u for ur help.
I will ask at drop off tommorrow. A french girl has just arrived for this term and she and family have very limited english.

But Melbourne has plenty of exchange students from non english speaking countries. Therefore it is most likely to have intense english classes (ie over the summer break).
Old Jul 15th 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

(the french girl arrive this term ) that is mean that they could begin in any term in the year not at the first term . right? thank u a lot for your concerning you are helpful.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:54 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

When we arrived, my children had extremely limited English, even though I am British myself. We always spoke Dutch at home, and I was always working, so never spent enough time teaching them the language. When they went to school here, they accepted them without a problem at all.

Within a couple of months they where conversing quite well, and now 2 years on they both have Aussie accents and are performing extremely well at school. The youngest was 9 when we arrived, and he picked it up quickest.

Young children pick up languages VERY quickly, so dont let that worry you.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:56 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

(the french girl arrive this term ) that is mean that they could begin in any term in the year not at the first term . right? thank u a lot for your concerning you are helpful.
Ours started in August when we came over, They can start any time of the school year.
Old Jul 17th 2009, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

thank u very much. you gave me big relief.
Old Jul 18th 2009, 8:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by furkew
Ours started in August when we came over, They can start any time of the school year.
hi furkew. please tell me is there a test to know the grade of the student or by age ? my daughter will turn 7 in august is that mean it will be at year 2 or there is a test will determine her level and her year? thank you for your help
Old Jul 19th 2009, 5:22 am
Going for a ride

hi furkew. please tell me is there a test to know the grade of the student or by age ? my daughter will turn 7 in august is that mean it will be at year 2 or there is a test will determine her level and her year? thank you for your help
If you look at the post from Geelong Gent, you will see that your daugther will be in grade 2. I havent heard of tests needing to be taken. It is possible that if she struggles in her first year with the language/schooling she may get held back a year in grade 2 so that she can catch up.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by furkew
If you look at the post from Geelong Gent, you will see that your daugther will be in grade 2. I havent heard of tests needing to be taken. It is possible that if she struggles in her first year with the language/schooling she may get held back a year in grade 2 so that she can catch up.
I understand that my daughter will be at year 2 from Geelong Gent but in our country to be in year 2 in a new school there will be a test in year 1 before the school accept the student. thank you
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:16 am
Has left the building

I understand that my daughter will be at year 2 from Geelong Gent but in our country to be in year 2 in a new school there will be a test in year 1 before the school accept the student. thank you
Any tests would be related directly to the school not by a generic test of all children. At our school there was an initial assessment but this was more to assess learning requirements rather than on acceptance.

The school system is more inclusive than selective exclusive so please dont fret so much about entry exams.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Any tests would be related directly to the school not by a generic test of all children. At our school there was an initial assessment but this was more to assess learning requirements rather than on acceptance.

The school system is more inclusive than selective exclusive so please dont fret so much about entry exams.
thank you.you help me very much. I am grateful.
Old Jul 19th 2009, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent

by the way my daughters are excellent students and I am not fret about entry exam but I dont want their life beginning with something disappointing them but I will take your advise and I will not worry again.