British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Schools in Hills District?????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/schools-hills-district-261146/)

ezzie Oct 20th 2004 4:01 am

Schools in Hills District??????

Having last minute jitters on the school we've decided on...anyone in Hills District got any experience/hearsay on any of the local schools - in particular, Marian College, Castle Hill High, William Clarke, Rouse Hill, etc, etc. Don't think I've ever been so stressed!!!!!!!

rudo1ph Oct 20th 2004 5:17 am

Re: Schools in Hills District??????

Originally Posted by ezzie
Having last minute jitters on the school we've decided on...anyone in Hills District got any experience/hearsay on any of the local schools - in particular, Marian College, Castle Hill High, William Clarke, Rouse Hill, etc, etc. Don't think I've ever been so stressed!!!!!!!

Hi Ez

Poor you!!! Don't know much about them, except to say my big sister, who is a maths teacher, has done casual work at at Castle Hill High and said to us not to send the girls there if we had an alternative.

I reckon your first choice was a good one!!! Why the doubts?

Will send an email in a couple of days........am jet lagged and not very coherant at the mo...........the kids, at various stages through the night, managed to keep me awake from just after 12 til 6!!!

Take care

Rudi

Gary / Terri Oct 20th 2004 6:17 am

Ezzie
I think you are meeting up with my wife soon??? but let me put your mind at rest, we have friends who's kids are at Marian College and it is great, William Clarke, heard great things..Rouse Hill a little far out..Castle Hill High is OK as well, also there is The Hills Grammer $3k a term expensive but good. Hope this helps, send me a pm if you want more detail as we have a fantastic book on all the schools and the exam results, uni entrants etc etc

Gary and Terri

Gibbo Oct 20th 2004 6:55 am

Baulkham Hills is also good but it is selective. If you want to try for Year 7 2006 the exam is in March 2005. Just changed from later in the year. Forms can be obtained from your primary school in November.

ezzie Oct 20th 2004 6:57 pm

Brilliant! Thanks everyone for that. I know I'm not the first or last parent to have last minute jitters about school choice. I've now had about 4 people whose opinon I respect tell me that Marian has massive discipline problems. We built our house next to William Clarke to send our kids there but the change of Principal has seen many, many changes to the school - especially it's fees (15% increase, each year for next 8yrs). With 3 kids each playing 2 instruments, we have essentially been priced out of our school of choice. I guess it's a case of 'suck it and see'. If it goes pear-shaped at Marian, then there's always homeschooling...I'd just love to spend my days at home teaching my son maths!!!!

ezzie Nov 22nd 2004 4:50 am

An update....we've lumped for William Clarke College after an unsatisfactory chat with principal of Marian. Purse is now $800 lighter after paying for (summer) uniform, but son is as happy as a sandpiper.

I had all of one week to enjoy peace and mind about schools...then the results of the twins OC (opportunity class - academically selective classes for years 5 & 6) came in....yup! you've guessed it. One got in and one didn't, and it was the one who usually does academically better than the other who didn't score a place....sigh! I think the decision will rest on whether there's a bus from Dural school to our place.

rudo1ph Nov 22nd 2004 5:12 am

An update....we've lumped for William Clarke College after an unsatisfactory chat with principal of Marian. Purse is now $800 lighter after paying for (summer) uniform, but son is as happy as a sandpiper.

I had all of one week to enjoy peace and mind about schools...then the results of the twins OC (opportunity class - academically selective classes for years 5 & 6) came in....yup! you've guessed it. One got in and one didn't, and it was the one who usually does academically better than the other who didn't score a place....sigh! I think the decision will rest on whether there's a bus from Dural school to our place.

You are having fun aren't you!!!!

Rudi

ezzie Nov 22nd 2004 5:15 am

Oh yes! Almost passing out with joy over here....especially as I've just found out that there's no bus from the school - brilliant, just brilliant!

Originally Posted by rudo1ph
You are having fun aren't you!!!!

Rudi