Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

schools, food and troublemakers!

schools, food and troublemakers!

Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:38 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: schools, food and troublemakers!

Hey!
Oh my god!It really depends where you live!The houses in my street(20k North of Brisbane city) go for about $400k-thats 3/4 bed,usually with rumpus room and garage.Not huge plots but big enough for the kids to play and the dog to run around.
No teens hang around!I work as a nurse in the local hospital and my hubby is a barman-we both walk to work,hence do not sit in traffic at all!Kids in great local schools.I have been promoted pretty quickly,through hard work and past experience, leading to more money.We find the cost of living cheaper but are smart with our budget!
Its not perfect but we are really happy here!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 7:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Grayling
My eldest son just bought a 5 bed house near Brisbane cbd for $2.5 million.

Property is not cheaper in Australia.

G
He could have had my 5 bed house, it's only about $560k. 2 Minute drive to a small beach, 2 minute drive to plenty of shops, a 50 minute drive to Gold Coasts Surfers Paradise, and a 50 minute commute to Brisbane.

What did he get for $2.5 M ??

This one is only $1M on a half acre

Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:03 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mavine1
Hi there, I am married with 3 children and for the last year or so my husband and I have been interested in moving to Oz. <...>. I worked hard to get my kids into really good schools and know nothing about the schools in Oz. Has anyone got any tips on schools? Maybe some recommendations or 'avoid at all costs?' We haven't decided on an area yet.
About a third of Australian children attend Private/Independent schools.

This is a much higher percentage than in the UK, due to the fact that the Australian Governments, both Federal & State, contribute to the cost of EVERY child's education, whether State or Private.

Private School Fees can start from about $800 per year, rising to $20,000+ per year, but some common figures are between $3,000 and $6,000 per year.

My own child goes to one, even though I never considered private school before coming here. I became interested when I found it wasn't too expensive after all.
Last years cost was $5,595 in total. Including Fees, Books and Uniform odds 'n ends etc.

General Education Information

Old Jan 1st 2009, 8:53 am

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
He could have had my 5 bed house, it's only about $560k. 2 Minute drive to a small beach, 2 minute drive to plenty of shops, a 50 minute drive to Gold Coasts Surfers Paradise, and a 50 minute commute to Brisbane.

This one is only $1M on a half acre http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1230694154.jpg
Hooray!!!A voice of reason!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

This one is only $1M on a half acre http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1230694154.jpg
He got a house overlooking the city.

It is all very well stating that houses can be bought much cheaper but the reality is that in much of Brisbane houses are very expensive.

You would not get much of a 5 bed house where I live for a million dollars nor in many other suburbs near to the city.

G
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:31 am
ABCDiamond

He got a house overlooking the city.

It is all very well stating that houses can be bought much cheaper but the reality is that in much of Brisbane houses are very expensive.

You would not get much of a 5 bed house where I live for a million dollars nor in many other suburbs near to the city.

G
Sorry, I didn't realise you were comparing City living, and I didn't realise the Ely was similar to Brisbane CBD, maybe I've been away too long.
My youngest son recently bought a new 5 bedroom house in Ely Cambs. for under £300k

My eldest son just bought a 5 bed house near Brisbane cbd for $2.5 million.

Property is not cheaper in Australia.
Not being up todate on UK property, I wouldn't know these days, but Brisbane isn't as expensive as you make it appear. However, what suburb do you live in, or what is the median price for that suburb?

Brisbane Median prices for Nov/Dec 2008
Brisbane Region
Houses $435,000
Units $355,000

Postcode 4000 - Central Brisbane
Houses $580,000
Units $435,000

http://www.homepriceguide.com.au/sna...iew&source=apm
http://www.domain.com.au/public/subu...&postcode=4000

Some actual recent sales for Inner Brisbane areas: Sales History & Auction Results

4 Bed Houses
$775,000 327 Wishart Road, Wishart Nov-08
$765,000 17 Gulliver Street, Paddington 4064 Nov-08

3 Bed Houses
$645,000 4 Philip Street, Hawthorne Nov-08
$495,000 7 Geneva Street, Wishart Nov-08

Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:41 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I didn't realise you were comparing City living, and I didn't realise the Ely was similar to Brisbane CBD, maybe I've been away too long.

There is no need to be sarcastic....you are not very good at it.

The reference to Ely was because a poster was talking about the 'South east' of England.

You can put as much positive spin on things as you like but, if you want to live in some areas then you simply have to pay for it and Brisbane property is not cheap compared to most areas of the UK.

My son's partner is a businesswoman and and one of her main interests is property and they are pleased with what they got.

It may surprise you but many people do not want to live in the cheapest area or be 20 miles from the city.

To live near the centre of Brisbane is going to cost you.

To live in some cheap suburb miles away may be cheaper but does not suit everyone.

Personally I lived in a good area in the UK and did not move all this way to step backwards.

G
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I lived in a good area in the UK and did not move all this way to step backwards.

G
How are you settling in? Any regrets about the move?

BTW where was your son educated? Were you in the Lady Manners' catchment or was it private?
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heljinder
Here in Perth we've found the education system to be our biggest worry. Perth, like all of the other states, is jammed packed full of inexpensive and very mediocre private church schools, which can have long waiting lists. However, the 'top' private schools here have much higher school fees, but still reasonable if you compare them to what we paid in the UK. Good state high schools are, unfortunately, few and far between. The UK education system has many faults too, but the quality of education IMO is better there than here.

Because of this we're very probably going back to the UK mid next year. We'll only consider staying if we can get both of our sons into one of the better performing private schools nearer the city. Again, because of the waiting lists, this will be a challenge in itself. Also, things will need to change in my hubby's profession to make us want to stay. He's a GP and there are areas in his line of work here that are unsustainable.

Do we have a better lifestyle in Aus? yes, in some respects, but if our children's education is going to suffer by living here, and hubby's work siutation doesn't improve then I'd rather be back in England coping with the grey skies, traffic jams, pace of life, etc.

I also have this strange feeling about Perth, that because of it's isolation, my boys will spread their wings when they're older and go somewhere more exciting and enriching, leaving me and hubby staring at each other (grim thought!) in a land that's not our home. We're not living our lives through our boys, but at least if we were in England we'd have our extended family and familiar things around us.

Housing is another issue. We haven't been able to sell ours in England, which I'm now glad about though. Because of the economic crisis in the UK, it's unlikely it would sell for a long time, leaving us living in rented accommodation, which is unsettling for me.

Cost of living in some respects is cheaper than the UK, but my weekly grocery bill is way over what I paid back home.

To me living in Australia has been a wonderful experience for us, and giving our boys the experience of living in another country is a great gift. But, sadly it's probably not for us long term.

With hindsight, Melbourne probably would have been a better option for us, but we're reluctant to try it in case it doesn't work out, and we'd have to uproot the children again.
Great post - very similar to my own views.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:55 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
How are you settling in? Any regrets about the move?

BTW where was your son educated? Were you in the Lady Manners' catchment or was it private?
Catholic school in Derby.....pretty highly rated.......I went to an 'independent' grammar school many years ago.

I am settling in OK.....not sure I want it to be for ever though.....I will go with flow for now.

.....been out cruising on the motor yacht again today.....so there are compensations

G
Old Jan 1st 2009, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

I am settling in OK.....not sure I want it to be for ever though.....I will go with flow for now.
Sometimes I wish that I didn't have freedom of choice and was just ordered to stay in one country or the other.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Sometimes I wish that I didn't have freedom of choice and was just ordered to stay in one country or the other.
Indeed

Not so bad for us as we don't really need to work and have not severed all our ties.

At the moment it is a long holiday.

If we want to move on we will....if not we will stay.

I am fortunate that I don't find Australia any better, or much different to, the Uk so going back would be no hardship.

G
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Indeed

Not so bad for us as we don't really need to work and have not severed all our ties.

At the moment it is a long holiday.

If we want to move on we will....if not we will stay.

I am fortunate that I don't find Australia any better, or much different to, the Uk so going back would be no hardship.

G
My problem is that I like both countries for very, very different reasons. And similarly, both countries drive me mad (and have major weaknesses) for very different reasons.

How do you reconcile that one?

(And I do need to work)

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Jan 1st 2009 at 10:15 am.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:20 am
Bitter and twisted

My problem is that I like both countries for very, very different reasons.
That probably applies to us too.

The big question will be: at what point does the scale tip?

we shall see.

If I went back to work (which I may) then job satisfaction will also become an issue.....I simply can not compromise where standards are concerned.....I have never seen work simply as a way of paying the bills

G
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

That probably applies to us too.

The big question will be: at what point does the scale tip?

we shall see.

If I went back to work (which I may) then job satisfaction will also become an issue.....I simply can not compromise where standards are concerned.....I have never seen work simply as a way of paying the bills

G
Interesting. I have the best job here in Perth that I could wish for. When I think of teaching in Derbyshire again, I feel sick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.